It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN adopts tough new North Korea sanctions after Nuclear tests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

UN adopts tough new North Korea sanctions after Nuclear tests

www.bbc.co.uk

The UN Security Council has unanimously approved fresh sanctions against North Korea in response to Pyongyang's nuclear test last month.

The resolution is targeting North Korean diplomats, cash transfers and access to luxury goods.

It imposes asset freezes and travel bans on three individuals and two firms linked to North Korea's military.

Pyongyang earlier vowed to use its right to a pre-emptive nuclear attack against its aggressors.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So there you have it....With all the threats North Korea has been making for the past weeks/days I feel they cannot hold back any more. As they said, they want to be taken seriously.

Will it come so far they will take the bull by the horns this time? Will the sanctions help at all? They seems to have lost China as a 'friend' as well, so what stop them?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-3-2013 by citizenoftheworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Already being discussed.

Really interesting what's happening though.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

edit on 7-3-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
They haven't lost China as anything. North Korea is a puppet state to China as Israel is to the USA.

At this point the USA and South Korea are the ones who have most to lose due to the lifestyle they have.
While the youth in SK and USA listen to Gangnam style and eat McDonalds, the youth of NK and China live in the struggle of everyday with military drills and survival being part of everyday life.

Soft we have become. Are we ready to see the first mass killing war of modern warfare?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'd say if little Kim wants to be taken seriously...he can start by not starving his people as he personally has an obvious weight problem. He can start with not filling prisons with political prisoners until near overflowing, as reports from some who have gotten out of that hell hole has stated in no uncertain terms. He can even start by dropping this insane drive for Nuclear Weapons. What would he DO with them, anyway? His primary enemy is like Israel. TOO SMALL to use nukes against without killing a good % of the entire civilian population of the Republic Of Korea at the same time.

Weapons that can't rightly be used are useless weapons, eh?

he has spent billions on them though....while his population starves in some of the most profound grinding poverty on Earth.

We don't even need news to know this. Google Earth is a wonderful tool and a source of real anguish at times too... You can zoom right onto North Korean villages and see what standard of life there is like. This..while again, state fortunes are spent pursuing weapons he can't even really use without becoming an unthinkable monster, instantly.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I find this funny:

The resolution specifies some luxury items that North Korea's elite will not be allowed to import, such as yachts, racing cars, luxury automobiles and certain types of jewelry. This is to close a loophole that previously allowed countries to decide for themselves what constitutes a luxury good.

NYtimes

I don't think North Korea has a lot of rich people

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

So basically like the US and any other nation around the world? I don't get this hypocrisy towards NK or Iran, we are doing the same, the only difference is we do it by means of bureaucracy and they do it more blatantly.

How much does the US spend on the military? I'm sure u know that better then me. Are those villages in NK different from the ones in say... Detroit or New Orleans ? And both those country's got millions heck it could be billions in support from all over the world *cough Catrina* I know I saved some cash for those victims in New Orleans. Detroit got allot of support via the motor industries or better to save it.

The same forum that fights the corruption, tyranny and lies(propaganda) from their government is so easily convinced and persuade when it comes to NK or Iran or Syria or those Nations we simply don't like.

edit on 7-3-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I think we're coming at this from totally different sides of thought. Now I normally don't go for arguments of relativism to make one sides bad behavior look less so because someone else did worse. It's becoming a core basis for debate points lately and it's as shaky as logic ever gets, IMO.

Having said this up front, your position has a BIG hole in it. Actually, big enough to swallow it whole.

Your position would need to find Americans who agree with the obscene levels of spending within our own Department of Defense to be a valid one. Our DOD spending alone (not counting DHS or U.S. Intelligence) has ranged from the current levels around 600 billion to upwards of 1 trillion at various points over the last decade. So, you'll find no argument with me. The US Spends FAR FAR FAR TOO much on military and actually, many times more than the next SEVERAL world powers combined. It's a bad sight.

That has virtually nothing to do with North Korea though. They are locked in psychological battle with South Korea, and we're just fat targets for the Kims to throw mud at occasionally. South Korea is who Kim wants to take or kill...not the U.S..

I also don't see anyone DEMANDING North Korea remove or dismantle the 11,000 artillery pieces near the DMZ and aimed at South Korea. 11,000 rounds PER volley. It's unthinkable destruction only a nuke WOULD surpass. So why need nukes?

Iran and North Korea both have a logic problem with nuclear weapons that the other World Powers don't. Who precisely to use them on? Where? Why?? The U.S. and Russia is obvious. Pathetic, but obvious. North Korea?? Okay, lets get one fact of things real clear. Korea is a VERY VERY SMALL place. VERY SMALL.

South Korea, at it's WIDEST point, is just under 200 miles across ...and I had to hunt to find a spot with that large a number. From the DMZ to the bottom of the Peninsula is around 300 miles. That's it. The whole nation... 200x300 miles. That's TOO small a place to be throwing nukes around in. It's nothing like the U.S. or Russia, which both span from one world ocean to the other and a thousand miles or more from North to South at the long points. Just no comparison. (Iran has a MUCH SMALLER area in Israel.... 132 miles north to south with 70 miles across at most with the average being MUCH less)

There are a number of solid, logical reasons why Kim has NO valid use for Nuclear Weapons...and damn sure not when he has to starve a nation's population to afford them.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Senduko

I think we're coming at this from totally different sides of thought. Now I normally don't go for arguments of relativism to make one sides bad behavior look less so because someone else did worse. It's becoming a core basis for debate points lately and it's as shaky as logic ever gets, IMO.

Having said this up front, your position has a BIG hole in it. Actually, big enough to swallow it whole.

Your position would need to find Americans who agree with the obscene levels of spending within our own Department of Defense to be a valid one. Our DOD spending alone (not counting DHS or U.S. Intelligence) has ranged from the current levels around 600 billion to upwards of 1 trillion at various points over the last decade. So, you'll find no argument with me. The US Spends FAR FAR FAR TOO much on military and actually, many times more than the next SEVERAL world powers combined. It's a bad sight.

Agreed, if only 10% of that budget would go back to its people it would change allot.

That has virtually nothing to do with North Korea though. They are locked in psychological battle with South Korea, and we're just fat targets for the Kims to throw mud at occasionally. South Korea is who Kim wants to take or kill...not the U.S..

I agree, psychological battle... And so are we, trained to create hatred towards muslim country's. Why is Kim a bigger psychopath then W. Bush or Obamasacre? We are talking about Kim jung UN. So far he hasn't killed or committed mass murder. He went to a private school in SWISS. He probably sat next to Obama's daughters lol.

We are convicting a nation because of one man. Who died. Do we still treat Germany as the world most dangerous country? No. Yet if we follow this way of thinking their still all nazi's?

I also don't see anyone DEMANDING North Korea remove or dismantle the 11,000 artillery pieces near the DMZ and aimed at South Korea. 11,000 rounds PER volley. It's unthinkable destruction only a nuke WOULD surpass. So why need nukes?

Because they can, The irony coming from an American( because your special gun laws or lack of )
Please this is not an assault towards you as an American.

Are you in a daily situation where you need a gun? Probably not yet do we forbid you for buying a one? Even if you don't need it to survive? Its the same just on a bigger scale. When do I get the right to demand something from you or expect.

There are a number of solid, logical reasons why Kim has NO valid use for Nuclear Weapons...and damn sure not when he has to starve a nation's population to afford them.

I'm not saying he has more right to have/use Nuclear weapons. That' a whole other discussion, who gets that right anyhow. USA and Russia are equal unstable to have those weapons of mass destruction.

And only the USA have proven to take such responsibility unwisely. And yes Hiroshima and Nagasaki are the answer to why USA is unfit to have these kind of weapons.

In all honesty I can't think of any nation right now to get clearance to wield this destructive force.

This starvation thing is really getting pushed to its limits tho, We have the same problems, and again you can't trust the media, we all agree. But why do we so blindly follow this propaganda for NK? Yes lets trust google maps LOL.

I'm not picking sides, just keep to propaganda outside and threat this subject equal.

edit on 7-3-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2013 by Senduko because: My god, my dyslexia is killing me lol

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I think you make good points, if we're debating the subjective right of any nation ot have nuclear weapons and the right of any other nation to prevent that from happening. If it's all in theory and nothing in real world impacts or possibility of use for those weapons, it's an easy debate.

I think that it changes when it's taken into consideration for the real world impacts and meaning of nuclear weapons added to nations which didn't have them before.

If NOTHING else, I think it's time the world, as a whole, say NO MORE. I wish with all I have that we could un-invent the nuclear warhead. I wish that genie could be stuffed back in the bottle. screaming or not. Unfortunately that cannot and will not happen.

People say the U.S. could disarm...and yes, we could. However, what of the Russian Federation, China, England, France and others? The Nuclear Club isn't big but it's big enough and it takes ALL disarming ...or we have a world wide strategic imbalance form that the world usually has seen filled by major war in the past. I'd love to see the ENTIRE Nuclear club start drawing down numbers. After all, how many nukes does one nation need, anyway?

I think the time has long past for the World to say NO MORE.....and if ANYTHING, start reducing. By NO means though, do we need MORE nations becoming nuclear.

If North Korea develops more than a test ready selection of warheads, Japan has sad in absolute terms, they WILL develop their own nuclear capability for warheads. If Iran develops them..Saudi Arabia has said they WILL have their own Nuclear capability to match it. It's NEVER just ONE nation going nuclear, but the nations around them that will insist on following.

It has to stop somewhere...and stopping NEW nations from adding to this nightmare of a global problem is as good a place as any. It's a whole lot easier than going after the Nuke Club first and the members of that will laugh anyway, if asked to disarm while new members are adding.

*Oh ... On firearms in America? Since you mention it..I'll add one quick thing. Yes I DO carry a gun daily. Yes I DO feel it's necessary and some time spent listening here: Radio Reference to any major city in the United States, should explain why. News ccovers big stuff like it's all there is....and forgets the assaults, beatings and attempted murders happening in every city, every day, non stop.

edit on 7-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifespath420
Already being discussed.

Really interesting what's happening though.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
One would be thoroughly surprised at HOW RICH the North Koreans are. BUT...only some of them.

They come from the ruling elites - the Military. Even their supposed state legislators, whom are only rubber stamping buffoons, come from the military who knows which side of their bread is buttered and act accordingly.

Even some of their offsprings get to study overseas such as Harvard U and Oxford, and many other better establishments living amongst us, well educated, but equally too know which side their bread is buttered and behave accordingly.

And even within the military, it is the ELITES, and not just any general. There are hardcore generals from father Kim's era, whom espoused luxury and live simple lives, but MANY MORE see and expect wealth of epic proportions for themselves and their next of kin. Such are the ways of corruption, and see those honest generals as fools and idiots, but unfortunately, it is the greedy who rules and have the most say, for they have the most to lose.

Below them, all N.Koreans are equal, low ranking officers, cadres, and the masses, whom had been generously given the freedom to starve and be cannibals to their own kind if they need food.

This had been going on for years, nothing new, and there were many desertions in the ranks in this secretive state, as told by asylum seekers and verified by many other refugees.

It would be inconceivable that while many other nations in the world faced the realities of a harsh climate change, N.Korea escaped unscathed. It is only unreported. The realities are that its people are starving, even the rank and file within the military.

A war right now is the only way to ensure that the ELITES in N. Korea retain their wealth and priviledges. Starting a war galvanises the People to unity, to supposed outside aggressions, so that they may forget about problems within, more so in a brutally brainwashed state such as N.Korea.

The ELITES can hide under the bunkers while the masses on both sides die around them, but in the end, when stalemate happens, they will arise and hypocritically 'end' the war, but with FULL immunity for themselves and the status quo remains till the next mass hunger, to be rinse and repeated by new generations of ELITE leaders.

This is N.Korea's strategy. They cannot hide from the experiences learnt by others of mankind's history since civilisation began.

Go ahead, launch that N.Korean nuke, and see the spectacular response in return as that nuke gets destroyed in mid-air. The State Dept is not as stupid as its predeccesors were, more so after Mrs Hillary Clinton, ex-Secretary of State reformed it, and are prepared for what is to come and what is to be done next.

China knows N.Korea's playing of both sides, and will not want to antagonise its trade partner USA, more so with 1.3 billion in need of help or they will violently seek for change. Nor will it welcome America's response. It's to be a family affair, to resolve the issue.

USA is fine with it, as it seeks only for trade and stability, never conquest. However, many of China's neighbours will be asking what was demanded by China for its support to teach N.Korea a lesson. What was offered quietly in return, at the expense of Taiwan, Tokyo, Philippines, S.E. Asia and Africa's sovereignity?

China does no favor without returns, but hopefully, may it not be a price too high for mankind to bear, and that over this issue I am wrong, and the reality is that China is scared sh&tless of N.Korea's crazy and upredictable lone wolf independent behaviour, and USA state dept's advice is to never sell out allies, but to react accordingly to circumstances and rule of law, to protect citizens and allies.
edit on 7-3-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I couldn't agree more, reminds me of that story/movie from Superman. Then again he withdraws his American citizenship.

Sad truth is this will never happen, and why should they? Humans are born with this EGO/paranoid idea that spreads like a cancer.

Personaly I think it would be safer if every would have its own Nuke. Let them bear the responsibility. Let them feel how powerful and destructive this force is and why they should spend more time thinking on ways to protect it from ever being used, then to search for deployable locations.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'd say if little Kim wants to be taken seriously...he can start by not starving his people as he personally has an obvious weight problem. He can start with not filling prisons with political prisoners until near overflowing, as reports from some who have gotten out of that hell hole has stated in no uncertain terms. He can even start by dropping this insane drive for Nuclear Weapons. What would he DO with them, anyway? His primary enemy is like Israel. TOO SMALL to use nukes against without killing a good % of the entire civilian population of the Republic Of Korea at the same time.

Weapons that can't rightly be used are useless weapons, eh?

he has spent billions on them though....while his population starves in some of the most profound grinding poverty on Earth.

We don't even need news to know this. Google Earth is a wonderful tool and a source of real anguish at times too... You can zoom right onto North Korean villages and see what standard of life there is like. This..while again, state fortunes are spent pursuing weapons he can't even really use without becoming an unthinkable monster, instantly.

please stop regurgitating the same rhetoric that we have been hearing on the news for last fifteen years....fact is this is a new situation that we have never been in before and I hope Obama has his sh#T together because his ignorance could start a war that we cant get out of....I pray this does not get out of control ,and that egos don't get in the way of solving this...just my 2 cents

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Oh yeah. Some left winger communist that obama is, huh? Why is he NOT supporting north korea???

Anyone that believes the UN is left wing just because they want to go after your guns is full of cow manure.

The UN is as right wing as right wing gets. Forget the small government crap you have been force fed all these years. And besides the smaller the government the more control big business(including banks) have over you because it takes less bribe money and effort to get everyone aboard. Too big of a government and it becomes wasteful but this is a different story.

What we have in america is an elitist controlled big government regardless if it is run by democrats or republicans. Just the faces change and the rhetoric softens or hardens.

North Koreans have a right to live as they please provided they don't go on the offensive. I would say the same about Iran which is run by religious fanatics. Why would they go on the offensive when they know they would be completly destroyed in hours after attacking? Does not make sense, does it?

I find it preposterous how some people praise the UN when it suits them(like when it comes to badmouthing iran and north korea) and then demonise it when it comes after their guns and freedoms. Seriously you can't have it both ways. Either the UN is run by diplomats from 300 countries with each having different agendas, OR it is run by elitist bankers with one agenda. Hurry up and make up your mind!!!

top topics

join