It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too Much Salt May Trigger Autoimmune Diseases

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Salt? Really? I would have thought sugar ....
Maybe it's just 'processing salt' and not natural salt ..
Anyways .. for your reading ...

Increased salt consumption may be a key culprit behind rising rates of autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, researchers reported on Wednesday in a trio of papers looking at the role of a specific class of cells linked with inflammation.

Reporting in the journal Nature, the researchers said high-salt diets increased levels of a type of immune cell linked with autoimmune disease. And mice genetically engineered to develop multiple sclerosis (MS) got much worse when they ate what amounted to a high-salt Western diet compared with mice who had more moderate salt intake.

The findings suggest that salt may play a previously unknown role in triggering autoimmune diseases such as MS or type 1 diabetes in individuals who are already genetically predisp.

Processing salt is in nearly everything. It's everywhere. So is the sugar. I dont' know what is causing autoimmune (my hunch is that it's something in the bone marrow) but it sure is exploding.

For the record .. I have Sjogrens (which is autoimmune) with polyneuropathy (pretty much the whole body).

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Increased salt consumption may be a key culprit behind rising rates of autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, researchers reported on Wednesday in a trio of papers looking at the role of a specific class of cells linked with inflammation.

Reporting in the journal Nature, the researchers said high-salt diets increased levels of a type of immune cell linked with autoimmune disease. And mice genetically engineered to develop multiple sclerosis (MS) got much worse when they ate what amounted to a high-salt Western diet compared with mice who had more moderate salt intake.

The findings suggest that salt may play a previously unknown role in triggering autoimmune diseases such as MS or type 1 diabetes in individuals who are already genetically predisp.

Processing salt is in nearly everything. It's everywhere. So is the sugar. I dont' know what is causing autoimmune (my hunch is that it's something in the bone marrow) but it sure is exploding.

For the record .. I have Sjogrens (which is autoimmune) with polyneuropathy (pretty much the whole body).

Interesting but I will take anything that FOX news has to say...with a grain of salt...Pun intended.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Wheat is causing Autoimmune. Which in turn causes sprue.

It really comes down to diet. Salt is used to remove Bromine. Salt would not cause auto immune.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I would hope this wouldn't be part of what Salt does. We are so overwhelmed and saturated with Salt from all directions and everything we eat and drink, we're doomed if that's the case.

When I was still trucking I had a real fridge and other things on the truck. Toward the end, it was to try and eat right to save my career on medical issues. Blood Pressure was part of it back then. Anyway, I spent long hours in stores, reading labels and trying to find low salt items for dinner on the road.

The problem I found was sickening. Canned food, processed food, frozen food and drinks. It doesn't matter much, what it is. Look at the back and "Sodium" is packed and stuffed into everything, in obscene amounts. Canned stuff is the absolute worst, but to someone trying to avoid or reduce salt? The Grocery Store is like a toxis wasteland. Everything is a % of salt, it seems.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Dunno about all of the other stuff but a lack of salt will give you stroke like symptoms.
Sluggish, slurring, Etc. I know this first hand.
Then the doctor wanted to put me on a PILL to raise my levels...
I found the natural way, I added more salt to my diet.
There is a pill to mask anything nowadays, and not a CURE in sight for anything!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Seems to me that our diet has too much sugar in it. I read an article that addressed sugar and salt together cause this. Salt and fatty acids did not display the same problem. Fats form ketones that can also be used as an energy source. Fats also respond negatively with sugar if too much sugar is ingested. They should have not conditioned us to think fats were bad and carbs were good, it screwed up everything. We need salt in our diets or we get weak. Then they give us electrolytes in the ER when we get sick. That is really expensive salt

Proper Mineral balances are crucial in the body.

Processed foods are bad and part of the normal American Western diet. I am not normal, I like homemade foods. I am constantly getting low on salt though.
edit on 7-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Salt is the one vice I have trouble cutting down on but I am pretty healthy. I don't have any diseases or disorders,blood pressure normal, don't take any kind of prescription drugs, never had a broken bone or sprain...

I would really hate this if it were true, though. I love salt.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As an aside to the high salt levels in food. Most salt is idolized--iodine added for its need--but could over consumption of iodine also cause problems? I have a shellfish allergy (iodine or proteins in shellfish?)

Too much of even a good, needed nutrient can also be problematic.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Interesting article. different than the one I read. The article I read probably contributed to the creation of this article. I found something that needed extra research on my part.

I noticed the part about vitamin D. I read it like it should be read and did not let my knowledge interfere with understanding it. Too much Vitamin D in some people can raise autoimmune disease is what it is trying to show. Here is an article about that. www.eurekalert.org... I learned something new from your article by mistake.
I like learning, S&F given before but I wish I could flag again.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

I like the comment about bromine, so true. Then drink coffee in the morning and the organic fluoride removes the Chloride and we pee after a few cups of coffee. Like taking a water pill to trigger the kidneys to detox
Fluoride in water screws this all up.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Autoimmune diseases (all of them) are nothing but Vitamin C definciency in the body!

The hallmark symptom of Sjögren's syndrome is a generalized dryness, typically including xerostomia (dry mouth), rheumatoid arthritis and keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eyes), part of what are known as sicca symptoms. In addition, Sjögren's syndrome may cause skin, nose, and vaginal dryness, and may affect other organs of the body, including the kidneys, blood vessels, lungs, liver, pancreas, peripheral nervous system (distal axonal sensorimotor neuropathy) and brain.

All of these symptons are relieved by higher doses of Vitamin C.

There is sooooo much evidence pointing this way, I could right a book.

Have you read my thread yet "Vitamin C What You Don't Know May Kill You"?

With autoimmune diseasess there is too much toxin in the body that is damaging cells.

Sjögren's can damage vital organs of the body with symptoms that may plateau or worsen, or go into remission as with other autoimmune diseases. Some people may experience only the mild symptoms of dry eyes and mouth, while others have symptoms of severe disease.

Many patients are able to treat problems symptomatically. Others are forced to cope with blurred vision, constant eye discomfort, recurrent mouth infections, swollen parotid glands, hoarseness, and difficulty in swallowing and eating. Debilitating fatigue and joint pain can seriously impair quality of life. Some patients can develop renal involvement (autoimmune tubulointerstitial nephritis) leading to proteinuria, urinary concentrating defect and distal renal tubular acidosis.

All of these symptoms have been successfully treated with high doses of Vitamin C!

Patients with Sjögren's syndrome have a higher rate of non-Hodgkin lymphoma compared to both patients with other autoimmune diseases and healthy people. About 5% of patients with Sjögren's syndrome will develop some form of lymphoid malignancy. Patients with severe cases are much more likely to develop lymphomas than patients with mild or moderate cases. The most common lymphomas are salivary extranodal marginal zone B cell lymphomas (MALT lymphomas in the salivary glands) and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.

Emphasis mine.

Source

The medical extablishment has totally overlooked the powerful anti-oxident values in Vitamin C.

Vitamin C is a powerful anti-oxident and healer of cells!

EDIT TO ADD MEDICAL STUDY:

Autoimmune disease and allergy are controlled by vitamin C treatment.

Pubmed

edit on 7-3-2013 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Too much Vitamin D in some people can raise autoimmune disease is what it is trying to show.

Autoimmune and low Vitamin D are linked. The Sjogrens Foundation has made note of that many times in it's newsletters. And yes ... my Vitamin D is nearly non existent. Does love Vitamin D cause autoimmune .. or does autoimmune cause low Vitamin D? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? (I think the autoimmune causes low vitamin D)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

My Sjogrens is systemic .. it's effecting just about everything. And the only way I can describe the fatigue is like this ... picture the 'dementors' in Harry Potter that are all black and that suck the life out of people. That's exactly how it feels. AWFUL .. all the time awful. But you say Vitamin C? I'll give it some thought. The Sjogrens is making it impossible to take vitamins. I've tried .. and I end up having reactions. Things that my body didn't reject before are now getting rejected. Everything changes. Other sjogrens folks will tell you ... they didn't have problems with eggs but after getting sjogrens they do .. same with peanuts or peanut butter ... same with all sorts of things.

But .. Vitamin C ... I'll read up on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Seems to me that our diet has too much sugar in it.

Sugar is highly addictive. It is also a MAJOR autoimmune trigger. I avoid all sugar. The only sugar I get is whatever is in the plain yogurt that I have each day. Sugar is a major inflammatory.

Dangitall .. I miss sugar! Haven't had any in three years ....
(I'm probably a sugar addict!)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Totally read the article I had in my post. Boosting the vitamin D can sometimes cause problems and increase the problem. Most people insert their beliefs into a research article and sometimes they use the evidence to inappropriately enforce their belief. I have done that so many times in the past that it embarrasses me sometimes, I have had to go and double check things many times. Moderation and natural sources are always the best. Using high doses temporarily to restore deficiencies is good some times as it helps to restore natural uptake. This knowledge is very important in restarting mineral and vitamin deficiencies. B12 and B3 can get locked out and require high doses for a week to start taking them out of food again. Same with Iodine and Magnesium. After that reducing the dosage of added vitamins and mineral supplements to a one a day low dose is ok or slightly altering the diet works.

Most people are deficient in magnesium and this is crucial to utilize vitamin D. Phytic acid and other chemistry keeps many minerals locked up as does too much fiber. I see too many people jumping at things without studying everything completely. Sometimes deficiencies of things have the same symptoms as overdose so it is hard to know exactly what is going on.

I was locked out of Niacin and restoring the niacin with a super suplement worked but than the added fix made me low on B12. I got the B12 supplement but the extra healing made me deficient in Magnesium. I finally figured all that out and have now examined and fixed my diet. If I would just take a break from experimenting on myself I would probably feel a lot better. I still have my lifelong Anemia, I don't know if I can fix that though. That is hereditary and I can keep it somewhat controlled anyway but to feel clearminded I bleed easier if I get a cut.

Sorry, I misread your response, guess I saw something that wasn't there again. My eyes were tired.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

A little sugar as a treat raises the attitude. Sugar is also a laxative. Look at the laxatives utilizing sugars. I've read blogs where people use sugar and a little molasses in warm water to relieve constipation . I have found that a lot of over the counter and some prescribed medications use similar chemistry, it checks out.

Think about that next time you are constipated, I haven't tried it yet because since I learned this I haven't had a problem.
someday soon I will test it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i find it curious that the demonetization of salt comes from doctors who on average don't live past the national average.

Another thing to keep in mind is the iodized salt no longer has iodine, and important thyroidal mineral that the body cant synthesize. it caused me to move to Himalayan or pure (pink) sea-salt for health reasons.

Much of our foods are mineral and enzyme deficient. So it would benefit everyone to see what symptoms translate to a deficiency of what.

Vitamin C isnt bad, its needed to repair damaged parts of the body, but by itself its just putting a band aid over the issues of multiple mineral and vitamin inefficiency.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
SLE/MS here. Overlaps are cool. (not really lol).

I've been on a low salt diet for ages because my kidneys couldn't process it properly anymore. You'd think if the salt and autoimmune activity were correlated, then I'd have seen a reduction in flaring when I reduced the salt. I did not and was put on chemotherapy several years after the salt reduction so I don't buy this article. I do, however, think that there is way too much salt in foods (I avoid processed) and sugar. There's a whole lot of crap being offered up as food that isn't nutritional or good for people at all. Changing my diet to be more aware of other things actually caused a reduction of flare activity but even that has not prevented progression or occasional flare up--no matter how much I will it to be so.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Salt?
Not vaccinatons, dangerous medications with numerous side effects, GM food, pesticides, chemtrails....etc?
Just salt!

I think I'll stick with salt, without which we would die or sicken and consider many other possibilities before i consider salt as a danger in any way.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just to be clear ------

I am not talking about over the counter Vitamin C supplements.

I am talking about high doses of Liposomal Vitamin C which is better than IV Vitamin C.

Doses far exceeding USDA daily recommended allowance!!!

I highly encourage you to read my thread - link in the signature: Vitamin C - What you Don't Know May Kill You.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join