It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manhunt As Teenager Stabbed To Death On Bus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
As you can see.... Security Cameras don't actually prevent a crime from taking place... its not as if a big can come out of the cam to wrestle a knife or gun away from someone....

check this story on skynews:

Police have launched a manhunt for an "extremely dangerous" man who could be armed after a 16-year-old girl was stabbed to death on a bus.

The teenager was travelling to school on a packed double-decker bus during rush hour in Birmingham when she was killed in what police described as a "short sporadic" attack.

Passengers, paramedics and police officers were called just after 7.30am and tried to save the girl's life but nothing could be done and she died at the scene.

Armed police are on patrol in the city and police have described the suspect as "extremely dangerous" and warned members of the public not to approach him but to contact officers instead. He could still be armed.

news.sky.com...

And my question is.... what use are all these cams everywhere if they cant actually prevent a crime? Only one other use and that is to spy!! They may be able to be used in Courts as Evidence of a Crime but they don't prevent it and by then its too late to save that persons life!!
edit on 7-3-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Before all the people come on and say "most watched people on the planet" blah blah blah most cameras are in private hands.
Now OP how can a camera stop crime? you think people are sitting behind a desk watching every camera 24/7? no.
The cameras are good for helping the police after the crime has been committed.
RIP young girl.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
just another day in unprotected britian... what amazes me is how few of these stabbings actually make the news.. get a police scanner and its a twice daily event and thats just in my county .

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Londoners are the most watched people on the planet

It is just like the novel 1984

I see that some of the camera's even have speakers in them - telling them they are being watched

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Why is there no description of the perp in the article? Hmmmm. Very interesting.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BoogieMan911

Like I said most of the cameras are used by private people not the government....

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Like I said most of the cameras are used by private people not the government....

Most cameras are not even monitored live, they record and are reviewed if and when needed. The majority of the ones in the street in city centres are monitored by the local council, highways agency or police. CCTV on transport is stored on a HDD and downloaded when incidents like this one happen.

People are quick to assume that these cameras are being watched by 'the government' (which is made up of hundreds of different departments and sections, rather than a single group rubbing their hands together plotting against the people) or malicious individuals. Yes it is correct that at any moment in time in London for example, you will probably be on at least one camera but with all the other people in the frame at the time, is it really a problem? Don't answer that.

Back to the topic. This is a shocking incident and hopefully the CCTV on the bus will help pin down this sicko that did it. Thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim as well as the people that had to witness it!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

22 year old man arrested in connection with the incident (sky news)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Most cameras are not even monitored live, they record and are reviewed if and when needed. The majority of the ones in the street in city centres are monitored by the local council, highways agency or police. CCTV on transport is stored on a HDD and downloaded when incidents like this one happen.

People are quick to assume that these cameras are being watched by 'the government' (which is made up of hundreds of different departments and sections, rather than a single group rubbing their hands together plotting against the people) or malicious individuals. Yes it is correct that at any moment in time in London for example, you will probably be on at least one camera but with all the other people in the frame at the time, is it really a problem? Don't answer that.

Back to the topic. This is a shocking incident and hopefully the CCTV on the bus will help pin down this sicko that did it. Thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim as well as the people that had to witness it!

Well boymonkey74 and fiftyfifty if it helps catch the scumbag here that is good.

I don't mind camera's in hot spots but there has to be a limit IMO.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

How do you limit the sale of CCTV to the general public?
My little town in Yorkshire has one cctv in it's main street but in my street we have 3 one owned by myself because someone was stealing my pot plants.
I don't do anything wrong really so I do not mind being filmed.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I'm all for personal use - home security and so on. Russians have them in their cars for insurance.

It's when you feel like someone (Big Brother) is looking over your shoulder 24/7 that it gets creepy.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I don't ever feel like that, I reckon the ones the police use are for the peoples best interest, If I was duffed up on a friday night in Halifax (please never go to Halifax on a night out it is like the wild west
) I would hope the CCTV in the center would catch the idiots who did it.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Update here too.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
reply to post by kimish

22 year old man arrested in connection with the incident (sky news)

That's a pretty vague description, wouldn't you say? Arrested in connection.. meaning there could be more individuals involved.
Around here (my neck of the woods) we would've at least gotten an approx. height, weight and race, you know, so it' would be easier to narrow down suspects to find the perp.
My guess is they're keeping some info out of the public eye for either fear of retaliation or because maybe perhaps the victim was a victim of murder and mufti-culturalsim. We know that's a big issue over there now and something like this would/possibly incite some kind of backlash.
edit on 7-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

My little town in Yorkshire has one cctv in it's main street but in my street we have 3 one owned by myself because someone was stealing my pot plants.

I just nearly wet myself reading that.

Apologies BM, i know it's a pain in the ass when people take pot plants, it happens a lot round here too....it just tickled me seeing that in the middle of a thread talking about CCTV, 1984 and the who Big Brother thing.

You should wire your pot plants up to the mains.

CX.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

oddly enough, when the news guy first mentioned the arrest, he described the suspect as a 22 year old black man. this appears to have been dropped (the black part) from the description.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

I just nearly wet myself reading that.

Apologies BM, i know it's a pain in the ass when people take pot plants, it happens a lot round here too....it just tickled me seeing that in the middle of a thread talking about CCTV, 1984 and the who Big Brother thing.

You should wire your pot plants up to the mains.

CX.

Don't listen Boymonkey! You will only get yourself arrested if the Fire Crews are ever needed.
(happened to a friend of mine, years ago).

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

That's funny. Though, I'm surprised they didn't say "22 year old youth". But wait, this happened in the U.K. Nm.

multiculturalism at its finest me thinks. I hope i'm wrong.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

A sad but weird story. You don't have this sort of public melt down without some serious issues going on. Yet another young victim to another young person that has thrown both their lives away.

Just sad.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Before all the people come on and say "most watched people on the planet" blah blah blah most cameras are in private hands.
Now OP how can a camera stop crime? you think people are sitting behind a desk watching every camera 24/7? no.
The cameras are good for helping the police after the crime has been committed.
RIP young girl.

More than this, even if there is someone to watch every camera, they can't do anything until they spot something, at which point it is too late to stop the incident.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join