It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian scientists discover unidentified bacteria in sub-glacial Lake Vostok

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Its got DNA so it most probably just a 'new species' within the existing family tree.

As i originally said

[quote0 It is not evidence of a second occurrence of abiogenesis, at least not so far.

Certainly no reason to think its extraterrestrial just because its previously unclassified and came from a remote place.

edit on 7-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
To all who are posting comments on this thread which express concern over their bringing this strain of bacteria to the main-land.

Don't you think that they might be taking every quarantine precaution necessary with this strain, since it is supposedly unknown?

There has to be a protocol that they follow in order not to risk their own health, let alone ours. This could be a breakthrough discovery, or it could be just another form of bacteria. And not all bacteria is bad.

Besides... Ill bet there is a plethora of research techniques that they could not feasibly house in the Antarctic due to costs etc.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Senduko, thanks for the share and update. 1 can only imagine what else has/could of been found. 1 appreciates the share from those who allowed this much data to surface as of now. be safe

NAMASTE*******

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Oh jeebus!
I can just see the ship foundering an a hurricane, and the bacteria getting loose in the ocean.....ice 9 anyone?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
One thing comes to mind in possible scenarios..............

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Can anyone explain to me what the obssession is lately with everyone blathering on about some zombie plauge? I mean, such a thing has NEVER happened before,

Maybe not but researches have developed "zombie" cells... just a matter of time right? =)

“Zombie” cells created by govt. research lab (really)
'Zombie' Cells Created In New Mexico Lab Said To Outperform Living Ones In Some Ways
‘Zombie cell’ mates biology and chemistry at nano-scale

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Maybe it was normal and they needed a headline or someone jumped the gun thinking they would be famous and it turned out to be the common cold(ish).

Maybe they did find a new one but it turns out to be something we (the public) are not "ready" for. Or it accidentally got out, will decimate the population and "oops! was that the one we had? Our bad!"

=/ Too many reasons to back pedal and not enough disclosure on anything anymore to discount.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by Char-Lee

As its not being introduced to any area and naturalized then no. Also as both definitions had nothing to do with the original statement i made which was intended to head off any comments about extraterrestrial origins arguing over semantics is just being pedantic.

Don't see why you would want to head off any comments about extraterrestrial origins, we certainly can't know at this point.

Agreed. I can understand steering clear of the term "alien" as in grays, reptilians, etc. but even alien extraterrestrial can be brought from the meteorite angle.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by forall2see

Wouldn't be the first time mistakes were made or something escaped from a lab....

www.medicalnewstoday.com...]Foot And Mouth Virus May Have Escaped From Nearby Lab, England
genomebiology.com...]SARS escaped Beijing lab twice
www.bloomberg.com...]Baxter Sent Bird Flu Virus to European Labs by Error

I am sure I could find more if I dug around but one time is too many with some illnesses.

(I firmly believe that HIV belongs in with these as well.)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Is it contaminated? Do you think exposing it to the elements may ruin our chances of figuring out what kind of bacteria it is?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm sort of bugged by the amount of people saying its unsafe to transport such unknown bacteria. They aren't sailing back to the land holding these bacteria in their pockets, the samples are contained very safely in vessels that will ensure nothing can get in to tamper with the bacteria and that the bacteria cannot get out.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm not sure why this is so shocking. I don't mean to sound stupid or if i'm wrong, but, a large majority of the planet is unexplored, it can't be that shocking and incredible that we found a new type of bacteria can it? All I can say is it were to happen sooner or later, and in a few years, it will probably happen again and we will find more interesting types of bacteria, it's all a matter of time really.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko
Okay so either this article got to much attention, or its just that.

The article has been updated.

However, the discovery turns out not to be that sensational.

“There has been one strain of bacteria which we did not find in drilling liquid, but these bacteria could in principal use kerosene as an energy source,” the head of the laboratory of the same institution, Vladimir Korolev said. "That is why we can’t say that a previously-unknown bacteria was found,” he stressed.

So i find this confusing did they find an unknown bacteria or what?

They probably did, but got their knuckles rapped for saying so.

Now they're just backpeddling ?

In the news May 2013:
"Russian scientist trips on his shoelace while carrying a delicate glass tube of Lake Vostok water sample.... stay tuned in for more updates."

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Celestica
I'm sort of bugged by the amount of people saying its unsafe to transport such unknown bacteria. They aren't sailing back to the land holding these bacteria in their pockets, the samples are contained very safely in vessels that will ensure nothing can get in to tamper with the bacteria and that the bacteria cannot get out.

Please tell me how the bacterias' life is sustained.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by forall2see
Besides... Ill bet there is a plethora of research techniques that they could not feasibly house in the Antarctic due to costs etc.

Certainly they would not be able to do everything down there, but they could do a lot of preliminary testing. And I imagine they should to do so in order to learn enough to be able to just keep them alive during the month long trip. Their sample may get ruined because it was not provided the energy it survives on.

Aside from that, has anybody explained why there is a sub-glacial lake? Unless there a geologic process that provides heat to this area I don't see why this water is not frozen. The heat source would probably also be the source of nutrients.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Before anyone start claiming that this is evidence of alien life realize that this is just an unknown 'class' of bacteria at this stage. It is not evidence of a second occurrence of abiogenesis, at least not so far. This just proves that the original set of DNA that started off life on this planet is very adaptable.

By definition its Alien. Alien doesn't mean it has to come from space.

Damn right it's alien. You guys never saw the movie The Thing? Thawed out the monster and it killed everybody. I'm just saying, maybe new and different ain't always better.

All sorts of stuff maybe be living underneath that ice that is melting.

You think you know disease. You don't know disease. Something there is no immunity to. Like the Indians with small pox. But this being the entire human population.

I wouldn't get to happy.
edit on 8-3-2013 by okyouwin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Well you don't believe in God, but you believe in Zombies huh...?
Lol x 10. I'm sure the Russians have every possible precaution in place, they must get the specimen to a 'clean room' and do everything in the most artifical environment with the most advanced of precautions to prevent contamination. Probably every bit, or more uncontaminated that where technicians build the most complex of optical or computer components. The Russians are every bit as careful as we would be with this bacteria. I see no cause for alarm.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Anybody remember 'AMALGAM'?? All rings very true to this latest turn of events.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Awesome news I had a feeling they would find something down there, I'm an optimist not the opposite that many on here. I'd be willing to guarantee that most man made chemicals are 1000000x more harmful to humans then this bacteria will ever be. But you know go hide in doomsday bunkers since clearly the day must be coming!

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by okyouwin

Well again unlike yourself I won't be crawling into a ball anytime soon, at the very least if the entire human population were to be whipped out then what's next? I find the possibility enlightening.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join