It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU fines Microsoft $731 million for broken promise, warns others

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MildCat
I give up. I can't make a simple point without being hounded by nerds with scewdrivers and computer componants coming out of every orafice.
edit on 7-3-2013 by MildCat because: (no reason given)

Come on, don't sulk.

I'm far from being a nerd mate. The problem was mentioned, i offered a simple solution. If you don't like simple solutions, i can hardly help that can i?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

I give up. I can't make a simple point without being hounded by nerds with scewdrivers and computer componants coming out of every orafice.

Come on, don't sulk.

I'm far from being a nerd mate. The problem was mentioned, i offered a simple solution. If you don't like simple solutions, i can hardly help that can i?

I'm not sulking.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Blimey!

You people are touchy today.

Let me explain the obvious folly of your argument, and point out the very basic flaw in your reasoning.

Yes what he said was at a TED conference full of intelligent people who actually understood what he meant by this.

Yes, that's what i'm referring to.

So let me explain it to you..

Ok, please do.

In very poor 3rd world countries (for example Africa) people tend to have more children because the infant mortality (that means death rate) is very high because they dont have good vaccination programs. This means that populations can get quite large....

Yes, i'm with you so far...

By having a better vaccination program (provided by him for free) they hope to lower the rate of population increase because more children will survive and parent dont have to have as many children.

Oh dear..now you've totally lost me.
Let me see now..Africa..large population because of no vaccinations, then Gates gives them vaccinations in the hope of more children surviving, while at the same time lowering the population by 10% through vaccinations...nope, i must be REALLY stupid, or you are really clever.

Congratulations on your stunning mind.

edit on 7-3-2013 by MysterX because: format error

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I wouldnt let it bother you..not everyone is a thinker..

edit on 7-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by MysterX

I wouldnt let it bother you..not everyone is a thinker..

Apparently not, nice edit on your post btw...got that in pretty quickly eh?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I just wanted to respond to all the people saying that building a computer is easy. I have been building computers for the past 20 odd years and even with my knowledge it isn't always that cut and dried. Knowing how to set a processor chip and heat sink/fan can be a daunting task depending on the setup of the Mobo. If that isn't done correctly it could damage the chip and these chips can be one of the most expensive parts of a setup. I have also had to modify cases because of a rail interfering with the video cards. Two points of many that I could mention that can make building a PC a challenging task.

But most importantly there are many people that just don't have the knack, or for that matter the interest or patience, to build their own system. It might be relatively easy and enjoyable for some of us, but for others it could well be an expensive nightmare.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Come on, don't sulk.

I'm not sulking.

LOL...aww..go on admit it

Even easier, cos i like you, is just format the HD mate..load what you want on there.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lakotas
I just wanted to respond to all the people saying that building a computer is easy. I have been building computers for the past 20 odd years and even with my knowledge it isn't always that cut and dried. Knowing how to set a processor chip and heat sink/fan can be a daunting task depending on the setup of the Mobo. If that isn't done correctly it could damage the chip and these chips can be one of the most expensive parts of a setup. I have also had to modify cases because of a rail interfering with the video cards. Two points of many that I could mention that can make building a PC a challenging task.

But most importantly there are many people that just don't have the knack, or for that matter the interest or patience, to build their own system. It might be relatively easy and enjoyable for some of us, but for others it could well be an expensive nightmare.

Dip switches and jumpers are pretty redundant now, so fiddling with 81's on the mobo is not really going to be a problem, it's mostly all done in BIOS now.

I too have been building PC's for donkey's years, and yeah, the old 486's DX and early Pentiums could be a pain, but that's not going to be a problem today.

Better still, just bung your 'PC guy' a twenty to format the HD and load on Linux or Ubuntu or whatever you want on it...it's no great hassle really is it?

edit on 7-3-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

But it's so, so easy to use with VBA. And if you keep .visible=false, you don't even have to see it.

edit on 3/7/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I'm not sure what you mean. I once did go through the manual efforts of removing I.E. and very effectively broke Windows. It requires I.E. for it's update service unless someone knows another non-I.E. method to get them that doesn't involved FTP or manually hunting them down. (Try explaining that process to someone needing help who is at a level of having to ask for update help in the first place?)

That also still leaves the biggest problem. I.E. is so proprietary on how it loads and displays some things, I could scream! I can't say how many times I've spent a long time building something on a web page just so, and just right ...to realize I hadn't done an I.E. 6,7,8 and 9 compatibility check. Oops... broken... Time wasted.

The BIGGEST problem is just HOW proprietary I.E. really IS. Case in point is Lowes Home Improvement. Through friends working at the corporation, I know they have a very handy system for their contractors to log in and do all the business they require for pulling and completing jobs for Lowes. This may have changed in recent months, but the last time I was over to see this all done, it HAD to use an older I.E. version because Lowes wrote their whole interface when THAT I.E. had been current and wrote it TO I.E. specs. That means, it beaks on other browsers for some technical issue....and REQUIRES the use of an outdated I.E. just to do business with them

^^ Those are the things which come to mind and cause me to curse I.E. like few other things. Microsoft does more to make life hard than easy at times, IMO.
edit on 7-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
reply to post by trollz

Your IQ of 142 should instantly tell you that buying a branded PC and then erasing the pre-installed Windows operating system means that you have to pay for the operating system which you never intended to use. And after my understanding that is what the poster is complaining about.

Actually, his(or her) post had nothing to do with paying extra for any particular OS. The point of it was his perceived inability to purchase something without Microsoft, not that he has to pay extra for Microsoft.

For crying out loud.

Do you people ever stop to think before you complain?

READ THE FRIGGIN' EULA (End User License Agreement) on your Preinstalled Windows.

It's there - out in the open:

"By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If you cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for information about Microsoft’s refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the United States and Canada, call (800) MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm."

And if you think you cannot return a preinstalled it has been shown that returning the Recover disk or demonstrating that the Hard drive has been wiped is enough to warrant a return.

Guess your handle sums it up nicely.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

He hasn't worked there for 5 years now. He's been running Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is the largest transparently operated charitable foundation in the world. Spending billions on helping rid the poorer countries disease with his own money.

As of 2007, Bill and Melinda Gates were the second-most generous philanthropists in America, having given over $28 billion to charity.

Yes, but it's mostly concentrated on vaccination programmes, and curiously has in Gates' own words a goal of population reduction of at least 10% through vaccination programmes.

The money would have been better spent on infrastructure, sex and general education, food and getting rid of the warlords that run riot over the people, and have a nasty habbit of hacking them to death with macetes.

Still..pharma is doing well out of it, so it's not all bad news...

Yes what he said was at a TED conference full of intelligent people who actually understood what he meant by this. In very poor 3rd world countries (for example Africa) people tend to have more children because the infant mortality is very high as they dont have good vaccination programs. This means that populations can get quite large even though the death rate is also quite large. By having a better vaccination program (provided by him for free) they hope to lower the rate of population increase because more children will survive and parents dont have to have as many children.

...... sounds like hes funding population control.... not helping people. Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MildCat

Why would you switch the hard drive to install a new OS?
Did no one teach the new generation how to format a hard drive?

Now, on the subject: The EU has totally forgone any kind of rational argument and went straight for the thing that's going to make the rest of the world laugh and go 'YUNoChrome'

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I am confused.Why is it Microsoft's responsibility to provide its customers with a competitor's product? What is preventing the end-user from simply installing a competing browser first-thing?

If MS wants to install IE and make it the default browser then it has that right. If Dell or Samsung want to sell you PCs preloaded with Windows then they too have that right...just as we all have the right to not purchase their products.

I am in the US so maybe its different in the EU, but I recently bought a new PC and one of the first things I did was install every browser I could (I work in web development). MS in no way stopped me from using their competitors products... Now sure they didnt preload FF or Chrome or give me easy to follow instructions on how to obtain those browsers, but frankly I dont see how NOT doing those things is somehow a crime.

Couldnt we run this same logic through and make microsoft preload competing software for all its products (office/outlook/skydrive) ???

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

...... sounds like hes funding population control.... not helping people. Thanks for pointing that out.

No hes removing the need to over populate in areas that cannot support large populations by helping people stay healthy. That's far from enforced population control. The goal is quite obviously to help poor people help themselves and not restrict them in any way.

Give the guy a break hes spent 30 BILLION in trying to help the poor im sure that more than any of us will manage to do in 100 lifetimes. He could have easily just funded many wars with that cash if he just wanted to hurt people.

I mean i know haters will always hate but the guy is genuinely giving billions of his own money away to the poor in medical aid. He has almost eradicated Polio world wide, that will only be the second time in the history of mankind something like that has happened.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I like Ford trucks but GM gets better mileage can they force Ford to put GM engines in their vehicles???

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MildCat

I predict you will be banned within a month.

On topic: MS will carry on as if nothing happened. They can afford to.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
wow 30 billion. He could of spent that on agriculture irrigating Africa. But instead hes injecting a bunch of people with a mixture of random viruses tho they claim its only viral protein I doubt that tho, In order for rna to work properly it has to be injected into a virus they don't do this.... I will never touch another vaccination needle again.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Comparison of blood and brain mercury levels in infant monkeys exposed to methylmercury or vaccines containing thimerosal.

Abstract Thimerosal is a preservative that has been used in manufacturing vaccines since the 1930s. Reports have indicated that infants can receive ethylmercury (in the form of thimerosal) at or above the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency guidelines for methylmercury exposure, depending on the exact vaccinations, schedule, and size of the infant. In this study we compared the systemic disposition and brain distribution of total and inorganic mercury in infant monkeys after thimerosal exposure with those exposed to MeHg. Monkeys were exposed to MeHg (via oral gavage) or vaccines containing thimerosal (via intramuscular injection) at birth and 1, 2, and 3 weeks of age. Total blood Hg levels were determined 2, 4, and 7 days after each exposure. Total and inorganic brain Hg levels were assessed 2, 4, 7, or 28 days after the last exposure. The initial and terminal half-life of Hg in blood after thimerosal exposure was 2.1 and 8.6 days, respectively, which are significantly shorter than the elimination half-life of Hg after MeHg exposure at 21.5 days. Brain concentrations of total Hg were significantly lower by approximately 3-fold for the thimerosal-exposed monkeys when compared with the MeHg infants, whereas the average brain-to-blood concentration ratio was slightly higher for the thimerosal-exposed monkeys (3.5 +/- 0.5 vs. 2.5 +/- 0.3). A higher percentage of the total Hg in the brain was in the form of inorganic Hg for the thimerosal-exposed monkeys (34% vs. 7%). The results indicate that MeHg is not a suitable reference for risk assessment from exposure to thimerosal-derived Hg. Knowledge of the toxicokinetics and developmental toxicity of thimerosal is needed to afford a meaningful assessment of the developmental effects of thimerosal-containing vaccines.

This sounds kinda shady. I think il pass.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
the point of vaccines are to make people sick. The mercury is used to weaken the virus so it does not rage right away. But i'm guessing depending on the persons immune system forced the virus to go dorment. A few months later you get a mad cold. BUT lets say some random dude gets a blood test. Doctor calls back for more blood tests. And more blood tests. And more blood tests. What are they doing?

Well people do develop mutations from viruses, New proteins or upgraded ones. It can happen, If the persons dna runs in a sequence. Also, coincidentally. If you wanted to imbed a certain trait, It could be pharamons aggression or alterations in brain functions. You can see that either A) they are trying to degrade our dna with useless rna ( limited potencial to mutate) Or they are injecting us with super viruses so that the crazy blood test montage happens to only a few people ( OH your very sick ) * really? I don't feel sick* ( Oh you are! you have this disease, im going to need more blood samples youl need to stay here at the hospital) " No but really i feel fine" (You are not fine and we will charge you if you do not receive treatment) WOW youl what? You are going to charge me because i refuse to do your tests? What's that. I told you i don't want chemo this is ridiculous i do not have cancer!.

^ anyone ever experienced this? * i had a miraculous recovery, i guess my self will and determination got me through it* Mmmhmm yeah i guess it plays a part but most people DON'T want to die.

So, i ask you people. Do you not think it is doctor procedure to send in blood results? If so. Would it not be far fetched to label the infected blood? Hmm. Even go as far as Putting it in the hands of College students, Who then test it and get mysterious break thorough. I mean Uni students right. You can bribe them. And if any of them figure out anything. Well you could remove them. ( he went to a frat party and didn't come back) Suicide or w.e. If they say yes they get drafted into the military complex, where the research won't see light of day.

With GMO crops, we are also advancing plant life. But in a commercially set world food is virally infected to produce genes which make the plant look appealing and high in sugar. The sugar is a good catalyst for viruses and bacteria. In a project where genetic manipulation is number one. You will see distractions. Wars. Poverty, And pestilence, a never ending pestilence that will plague man forever. Why. Because of the diversity in the human genome will garentee *immunity* ( evolution) once infected. Tho people who are immune are carriers. We are actually carriers of ancient basic viruses and viral dna in our genome.

Its pretty complicated. But if you wanted to create an army of superhuman soldiers in a deadline of 70 years, they are pretty close. The thing is, When the supersoldiers have these viruses. World leaders included. That virus WILL infect others. As the possibility of another virus taking dna from that protein and mutating/activating is very likely as viruses can be many times in scale smaller than a white blood cell. Avoiding detection from humans and white blood cells.

So. Now that you know all this. It's not a very good thing that hes injecting these people. If he wanted to save Africa he would of done an Aquifer. I believe lybia only pay 70 billion for theirs. And they had plans to ship to other third world countries and end world hunger. But nato pwnt Lybia because it was finished.... and they were planting....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by MildCat

I predict you will be banned within a month.

On topic: MS will carry on as if nothing happened. They can afford to.

Hey Wide-Eyes...couldn't give me this Saturday's UK jackpot lottery numbers could you?

(He was just banned...cue X-Files theme tune...)

edit on 13-3-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Why should they, Mac dosnt. And why should they... thats up to the user. Most users dont even know what a browser is...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join