It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU fines Microsoft $731 million for broken promise, warns others

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

EU fines Microsoft $731 million for broken promise, warns others

www.newsdaily.com

BRUSSELS, Mar. 6, 2013 (Reuters) — The European Union fined Microsoft Corp 561 million euros ($731 million) on Wednesday for failing to offer users a choice of web browser, an unprecedented sanction that will act as a warning to other firms involved in EU antitrust disputes.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It said the U.S. software company had broken a legally binding commitment made in 2009 to ensure that consumers had a choice of how they access the internet, rather than defaulting to Microsoft's Explorer browser""

""An investigation found that Microsoft had failed to honor that obligation in software issued between May 2011 and July 2012, meaning 15 million users were not given a choice.""

""It is the first time the European Commission, the EU's anti-trust authority, has handed down a fine to a company for failing to meet its obligations.""

""European Union (EU) Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia holds a news conference at the EU Commission headquarters in Brussels March 6, 2013. The European Union fined Microsoft Corp 561 million euros on Wednesday for failing to offer consumers a choice of web browser, a charge that will act as a warning to other technology firms involved in antitrust disputes with the EU. REUTERS/Eric Vidal"""

Well im not surprised. I think people were pretty angry over windows 8 fails. At least that's what im assuming this is about. Will they get taken down?

Click the link for full details.

www.newsdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7-3-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Well, that's one way to take a bite out of the E.U. debt problem. lol....

I have noooo sympathy for Microsoft, either. I've hated I.E. since the old days and wars against Netscape. If only it could be totally removed and not at least still used by calls within windows (Like windows update and others). Oh, I'd remove it forever and call it the best upgrade Windows ever had. I.E. is the bane of a web designers existence with their compatibility nonsense all over the place.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Just the browser? What about the fact that it is nearly impossible to buy a computer with no OS installed on it whatsoever? I would love to be able to go to a shop, buy a great PC with nothing to do with Microsoft installed on it, but you cant.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

So MS have been fined a few hours profit. I bet they're really losing sleep over that harsh penalty...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Thats close to 1 bill lol. And beyond that. Did you miss the part about share holders panicking and the stocks plummeting? thats pretty hard to recover from if their gunna hand a bunch of cash over.

But then again. We have Mac..... but who wants to spend 1 grand for every mac out there? Not me.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
You cant just download mozilla or something?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MildCat

you can.

unplug the hard drive and switch it /or wipe it.

done.

This is BS though. I dont like IE either, but the EU is just strapped for cash and are looking to anyone with a little of it to fix their problems.

Like a junkie looking for an unlocked car to swipe something he can sell for "just another fix"....or in the EU´s case "just another 6 months of wasteful government".....

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
You cant just download mozilla or something?

Which is the only reason for IE existing in the first place. I thought there was a pop up giving you a direct link to the download pages for all the major browsers? It's been a while since I used windows but I think I remember seeing this on Vista or 7.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
reply to post by MildCat

you can.

unplug the hard drive and switch it /or wipe it.

done.

This is BS though. I dont like IE either, but the EU is just strapped for cash and are looking to anyone with a little of it to fix their problems.

Like a junkie looking for an unlocked car to swipe something he can sell for "just another fix"....or in the EU´s case "just another 6 months of wasteful government".....

Oh I know how to do that
My point was that the option should be available at the point of purchase. I do agree with you, get the impression the EU is clutching at straws now. There are far more important things for them to worry about than browsers.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
the shake downs begin!! I find it somewhat amusing when any form of government or corporation acts in the best interest of the people . so how long before they try and "nationalize" microsoft ?

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MildCat

Yes there is. I just baffles me that someone(who isnt a geezer or on webtv
) needs to be told there are other browsers.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

But it's so, so easy to use with VBA. And if you keep .visible=false, you don't even have to see it.

edit on 3/7/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MildCat

Yes you can, actually you can even order a Dell XPS with pre-installed Li9nux operating system.

Or you simply get the single components and plug your system together by yourself.

ETA: Fining M$ with a couple hundred million is like giving Rockefeller a 25$ parking ticket. It will not hurt enough to keep him from parking in the same spot again.
edit on 7-3-2013 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
reply to post by MildCat

Yes you can, actually you can even order a Dell XPS with pre-installed Li9nux operating system.

Or you simply get the single components and plug your system together by yourself.

ETA: Fining M$ with a couple hundred million is like giving Rockefeller a 25$ parking ticket. It will not hurt enough to keep him from parking in the same spot again.
edit on 7-3-2013 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

That involves buying a dell and I will never make that mistake again. The fact is, in England it is nearly impossible to buy a computer with no operating system directly from a shop. Sure you can build your own, but who has time for that?

My point is, the choice should be there and it shouldn't be limited to online purchases or homebuilds.
edit on 7-3-2013 by MildCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MildCat

It will take roughly 15 minutes plugging the components together, and another 30 minutes for the basic software setup. It really isn't that difficult.

I see a myriad of alternative options as well. Buy a used PC, or find a dealer selling unbranded PC's, or have a dealer build one from components for you, and many more.

Your complaint is not valid.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MildCat
Just the browser? What about the fact that it is nearly impossible to buy a computer with no OS installed on it whatsoever? I would love to be able to go to a shop, buy a great PC with nothing to do with Microsoft installed on it, but you cant.

There are ways you can easily accomplish this.

1. Build your own or buy a barebones pc (which is much cheaper) LIKE HERE
2. Buy any random pc and erase the hard drive, then reinstall any OS of your choice

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
reply to post by MildCat

It will take roughly 15 minutes plugging the components together, and another 30 minutes for the basic software setup. It really isn't that difficult.

I see a myriad of alternative options as well. Buy a used PC, or find a dealer selling unbranded PC's, or have a dealer build one from components for you, and many more.

Your complaint is not valid.

Or 5 minutes in a shop. You are just being a twat for the sake of being a twat.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by trollz

Your IQ of 142 should instantly tell you that buying a branded PC and then erasing the pre-installed Windows operating system means that you have to pay for the operating system which you never intended to use. And after my understanding that is what the poster is complaining about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join