Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The ultimate elevator nightmare!

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Here is one to really give you a shiver when thinking too hard about. These women got serious injuries, but thank goodness it went up and not down. They were awfully far up. I understand they have 'fail safe' systems these days to keep them from free falling but it would seem some pretty important systems already failed in this case.

An elevator in a Chevron skyscraper "skyrocketed" up 11 stories and came to a crashing stop, throwing two women into the ceiling, breaking one's ankle and injuring the other's back, the women claim in court.

^^ That's the general version. It's the detailed version that is something else.

"Williams used the intercom on the elevator panel to communicate with Chevron's security," the complaint states. "Williams was in contact with security off and on for approximately forty (40) minutes, at which time the elevator car, which was in disrepair, slowly began moving upwards.

"After moving just a few feet, the elevator then skyrocketed upward. The car came to a crashing stop at floor fifty (50), throwing plaintiffs into the ceiling. The crash caused light fixtures and ceiling tiles to fall on plaintiffs, who were thrown to the ground when the car stopped."
Source

Talk about the Elevator Ride from nightmares! I'd probably never get into an elevator again after personally going through a thing like that. Anyone else have bad elevator experiences? Hopefully nothing like these two had.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Nothing like that but I did have an experience once when I thought I was locked in. When the buttons don't respond and the doors shut it does send you into panic mode

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Crap. I don't know how many bad dreams I've had at the hands of elevators.

I've had only a handful of scary experiences... The heart gets a beatin' at 60 stories up.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I wonder what the headline of that news article was?

Chevron stock shoots through the roof!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Anyone else have bad elevator experiences?

Well... there is this video thats currently doing the rounds on the 'net...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I think it is wonderful these 2 women are alive and their injuries will heal; it is such a scarey situation; and I understand why they are taking TPTB in this situation to court.

I say...(and I do)...take the stairs! Get exercise and you won't be stuck!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I really have always hated elevators-and this does'nt help.I would be prepared to walk up 50 flights of stairs if i had to,rather than be trapped 50 floors up,with the possibility of a falling elevator always in one's mind.
I feel sorry for folks in big cities,who Have to use elevators every day.In my book that Would be a nightmare.Horrible contraptions.When i did still live in a city,i often rather climbed the steps,especially when i was alone.
Those poor women,im just thankful they're ok.They did suffer injury though,and i'd wager,it propably left a lasting fear of elevators in them.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Im glad to see at least some people,women included were prepared to help! Personally i propably would have started kicking the attacker in the head-while screaming at the top of my lungs-i dont GET how some people can just walk away-even grown men.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I prefer rushing 10 stories upwards and coming to an abrupt stop, over rushing down 10 stories and crashing into the floor, each and every time. So in my books this is a blessing and not a nightmare.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Off topic but the same way that box cutters are responsible for 911 Americans are a bunch of sissys.
Back on topic a co workers mother actually died from falling down an elevator shaft when the doors opened to reveal no elevator, he is now very rich you can look it up online if you want last name Banks his name was Rob cool name right but its true Chicago is where it happened my bad.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   

A natural first thought would be to think it should only fall down, and not up.

However, when considering the counter-balance weights at the other end of the cables, I guess it would be just as likely to fall up, as it is to fall down.

[align=center][color=9BD4FF]The Wonkavator[/align]

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ed1320

.....the same way that box cutters are responsible for 911 Americans are a bunch of sissys.

Huh?

Read that again.

Then ask yourself this:
"Does that still make as much sense to me now, as I thought it did when I first typed it?"

edit on 3/7/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
Nothing like that but I did have an experience once when I thought I was locked in. When the buttons don't respond and the doors shut it does send you into panic mode
And to top it off, someone cuts a mean silent one

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Yes thats exactly it - if brakes are released on a traction (one with cables) elevator the cab will travel upwards not downwards as the counterweights are made to balance with the cab and full load - the machinery operates smoothly and easily when all is in balance.

There is an overspeed safety govenor device thats to engage brakes. It is operated with centrifugal force and requires a manual disengagement once triggered. These are test annually and tagged.

The usual stoppage between floors is caused by the controls missing a positioning device in the shaftway making the controller "lose" the car - the controller stops operation at that point for safety reasons.

I surmise that 40 minutes into the incident the elevator mechanics had arrived and went up top to manually "jog" the elevator into position with one of the floors in order to extract the passengers and they did something very wrong in the attempt.

The "started moving slowly" perfectly descibes manual positioning and the rush to the top perfectly descibes loss of control under manual override.

The natural state of elevator brakes are "engaged" even with power off. It takes a mechical operation or manual operation to release them and keep them released and its a further step to disengage the overspeed safety govenor.

I'd bet dollar to a dime when the lawsuit is over its found to be human error not the machinery.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ttobban

I wonder what the headline of that news article was?

Chevron stock shoots through the roof!

The actual title is "Elevator Ride From Hell". It seems fitting but seemed a little racey to use as a title in the forum indices. Just me, I'm sure.

I don't know about stocks through the roof.....but Shareholders through the roof sounds like a pretty close thing!

* Love the reminder of the Wonkavator. lol..... I doubt these women watch that movie the same way again for the ending. err.... not funny, I know..but still. They lived so I can chuckle a little. (Now watch, I'll be reminded of that chuckle when my next elevator malfunctions somehow.)

new topics

top topics

join