It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know the NFL is tax exempt?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AudioGhost

I'm shocked the NFL is non profit, they always talk about the NFL being a "business" on the ever dreaded and biased ESPN.
*note

While the NFL might be non profit the individual 32 teams that make up the NFL are for profit organizations and do pay taxes.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
My big problem with our NFL and NHL teams here is the Enron type contracts that were made behind the scenes totally buried by the hoopla of getting them here. The clause that the taxpayers are responsible for upkeep, maintenance and upgrades to the facilities-as determined by the team owner-was never part of the referendum the public voted on. Sounds just like Fastow's 'ricochet' or was that 'fatboy'.
During the lockout nightly maintenance crews cleaned up after each game that wasn't played-What! I don't have a real problem with these people continuing to get their pay-that is fine- however who put it in the contract that if the Preds don't play in the arena-the taxpayers still have to pay to clean it up? The big news is that they might only lose 7 million this year yea-rah rah.
Don't get me started on the Titans-to get up to 'NFL Standards' the taxpayers had to issue bonds to pay for a 52 million dollar videoboard. Who in the cluck determines what 'NFL Standards' are? Would they like my advise?

If an NHL or NFL team is coming to your city demand the fine print. I believe Fastow is getting out of jail soon let him write the contract.
edit on 7-3-2013 by spooky24 because: halfblind?

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The answer is simple: stop watching the NFL.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The National Football League (NFL), the National Hockey League (NHL), and the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) classify themselves as non-profit organizations to exempt themselves from federal income taxes on earnings. Smaller sports leagues, such as the National Lacrosse League, are also using the tax status. Taxpayers may be losing at least $91 million subsidizing these tax loopholes for professional sports leagues that generate billions of dollars annually in profits. Taxpayers should not be asked to subsidize sports organizations already benefiting widely from willing fans and turning a profit, while claiming to be non-profit organizations.

The NFL raked in $9 billion in revenue last year and has more than $1 billion in assets, and according to Coburn’s report, it paid eight executives a total of $51.5 million in 2010, including $11.6 million to commissioner Roger Goodell. PGA commissioner Tim Finchem made $5.2 million in 2010; NHL commissioner Gary Bettman made $4.3 million and will reportedly earn nearly $8 million this year.

They do not deserve non-profit status. They are nothing more than money sucking corporations that over pay themselves, buy 10 million dollar homes, fleets of 200k cars. These leagues make billions in profits every year. They give pennies in comparison back to the community.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Seems relevant

Leaked NFL Documents: While Owner Cried Hardship, Carolina Panthers Had $112 Million Profit Over Two Years

In 2010 and 2011, as the NFL prepared for and staged a lockout of its players, Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson was among the hardest of the hardliners, urging his fellow owners to "take back our league" by demanding a more management-friendly collective-bargaining agreement.

Meanwhile, according to an audited financial statement obtained by Deadspin, Richardson's Panthers were making more than $100 million in profit over the fiscal years covering those two seasons.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Maybe it started as an tax extempt organisation in its early days and stayed that way. Is American Football pay per view? If it isnt maybe something needs to be done about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join