learn more

CERN: Higgs-Boson edges closer to total confirmation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
Discovery & manipulation of the Higgs would be more valuable than the Graviton. It would enable cancelling out mass and thus creating FTL drives and sending probes to other star systems at the speed of light or beyond. Massless objects can do that without violating the laws of physics.

According to Wiki the Graviton is also massless:

In physics, the graviton is a hypothetical elementary particle that mediates the force of gravitation in the framework of quantum field theory. If it exists, the graviton is expected to be massless (because the gravitational force appears to have unlimited range) and must be a spin-2 boson.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I wrote a poem about this.

Copyright MJD (That's me - do not reproduce without my permission) Thank you.

It's Fundamental

I am a strange man
He said as he read
An article on particle physics
The experiments and things
Which I run in the wings
Are quite safe – and yet nobody visits

This theory is weary
He declared as he paired
What remains of his brains with his data
It seems to me
If you look you will see
But it’s quantum – so it’ll change again later

Will they learn at CERN
That it’s spin that will win
The race for the rise of what’s real?
A particles rotation
Could define the equation
It’s a jolly good theory, I feel!

Going round under ground
They’ve seen on their screen
A sight than might win them great fame
A particle explosion
Unveiled the Higgs Bosun
I swear half the scientists came!

‘Till some quack at the back
With unruly equations
Which flowed from his old fountain pen
Put his hand in the air
And asked without care
The Higgs Bosun, What’s that made of then?

edit on 9-3-2013 by nothingwrong because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
We see this type of thread which claims that the "Higgs Boson is close to being found" weekly. Every week, they announce how "close" they are without giving any evidence.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
We see this type of thread which claims that the "Higgs Boson is close to being found" weekly. Every week, they announce how "close" they are without giving any evidence.

I think you are a little bit behind the times.

The discovery of the Higgs Bosun has been announced with an updated Sigma 5.9.
A sigma of 1 is wild speculation
A sigma of 6 is scientific certainty.

So they are pretty damn sure of it now.

news.softpedia.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by nothingwrong

Originally posted by arpgme

I think you are a little bit behind the times.

The discovery of the Higgs Bosun has been announced with an updated Sigma 5.9.
A sigma of 1 is wild speculation
A sigma of 6 is scientific certainty.

So they are pretty damn sure of it now.

news.softpedia.com...

Exactly. And, see my earlier post, they want to be as sure as they can be, which is why all the clarifications as well as keeping the public in-the-loop on what the "final" certainty hinges on (in this case, the spin - either spin-zero for the Higgs or the much much less chance of spin-two, for the graviton).

I like your poem, quite creative and descriptive! Please post it on the CERN blog, they may enjoy it too.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

When it was originally conceptualized, wasn't higgs suppose to create matter not mass? i.e. It was supposed to be the reason there is so much matter and hardly any anti-matter? i.e. If you smashed higgs it produced energy that never existed before?

Did they change something in the matrix again?

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

When it was originally conceptualized, wasn't higgs suppose to create matter not mass? i.e. It was supposed to be the reason there is so much matter and hardly any anti-matter? i.e. If you smashed higgs it produced energy that never existed before?

I'm not an expert, so I dunno. But isn't the Higgs the particle (or particle-state) that gives anything mass, which would then create matter? Aren't they the same thing. The anti-matter question, I don't know either. Is it made by the anti-Higgs particle? And yes, the matrix has been changed. Both you and I had noses earlier, and now we don't. They'll come back though.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I think mass is viewed as what gives matter it's filler. Like a box of cereal is not a box of cereal if the box is empty - and so matter is not matter without mass. But I thought higgs was supposed to create mass not just hold mass.

IDK I think they are either changing the definition or I have been mistaken all this time and the nickname of God particle is very misleading. I thought the reason it was even nicknamed god particle was because it created mass, not carried it.

It seems like they are changing it's properties from a matter creator to a force carrier. Force carrier being the forces such as magnetism, gravity, mass, etc.

If it only carries mass and not creates it then it is not very godly.

eta: oh and antimatter is like anti-electron and anti-neutrons and anti-protons...I don't think they have smashed them together to see if they contain the anti-particles such as an anti-higgs. I guess in theory, yes, if there is a higgs then there might be a anti-higgs but the whole definition or attribute that gave it its godly quality, I thought, was that it created and not carried.
edit on 3/9/2013 by Bleeeeep because: rephrased

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Interesting post. Must "sign off" now (I usually am signed in just because I don't un-history every time), but will be back later. Hopefully a full-on scientist will come by here and educate us on the great questions you are asking. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

The original defn according to chris hill of fremilab, was that higgs makes other particles FEEL their own mass

posted on Mar, 9 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The Higgs particle was first described 53 years ago - about five years before Scottish physicist Peter Higgs and other physicists even conceived of the particle. The trouble is, it was described clairvoyantly - or, rather, with a form of remote-viewing known to yogis for thousands of years and called "anima." That's why some of you will never believe this claim, described here. The problem for such denial, however, is that this clairvoyant said space is filled with minute particles in vortical motion, and this is precisely what string theorists decades later discovered when they studied the topology of SU(3) Nielsen-Olesen vortices in the superconducting Higgs field. (Yes, it's a superconductor, according to the QCD equations, and Higgs particles revolve around the colour flux lines linking quarks, the flux being squeezed together into quantised bundles by the Meissner Effect). The clairvoyant could not, of course, have known about such technical discoveries made decades later, and so his report (available here) is powerful evidence that he paranormally observed the Higgs field permeating space. It is analyzed in chapter 6 of the book "Extra-sensory Perception of Quarks" (free PDF available here). Actually, the SAME word "vortex" was applied to what was seen circulating around particles remote-viewed over 135 years ago by another clairvoyant, Edwin Babbitt. These particles have now been proved to be as yet undiscovered constituents of quarks. Their detection will usher in another revolution of physics similar to what happened in the mid-1960s. According to the string model of QCD, strings binding quarks together are such vortices in the Higgs field, so here is striking evidence that a paranormal account in 1878 of the basic particles making up atomic nuclei matches the QCD string model developed over a century later. Sceptics should look at this:

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Well, that's a interesting theory. The link mentions the theosophist psychic, Geoffrey Hodson.

smphillips.8m.com... Source

Some of the quoted Hodson statement:

On April 8, 1957, whilst examining the diamond in a ring, Hodson said:

"My first sight inside the diamond is of the funnels only, like a cluster of funnels, two sets. It is possible to see the two pyramids as if slightly separated so that the base of an upper one can be envisaged, visualised, almost seen, though cohesion is apparent and all eight funnels are radiating from a common centre. Now, I want to record again the experience of the whole phenomenon being pervaded by countless myriads of minutest conceivable, physically inconceivably minute points of light which I take to be free anu and which for some reason are not caught up in the system of atoms at all but remain unmoved by it and pervade it. These are everywhere. They pervade everything, like ... Strangely unaffected by the tremendous forces at work in the atom and rushes of energy, and so forth, they don't seem to get caught up in those or be affected much by them. If at all. They remain as a virgin atmosphere in which the phenomenon is taking place."

When he is quoted as saying "They pervade everything, like....Strangely unaffected (etc)" I'm wondering what the ellipses "cover up". I'm usually distrustful of ellipses, especially right in the middle of the important sentence. I looked around a bit and couldn't find the transcript for that quote, maybe someone can dig it out. Thanks for this interesting find, and the page it links to has much more data as you schroll down.

EDIT: Hodson has a wikipedia page en.wikipedia.org... , and is one of 15 named theosophists on the Theosophy template which appears on the page.

edit on 10-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)
edit on 10-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Here is an article explaining "spin" from a Fermilab affiliated website:

www.symmetrymagazine.org...

Something interesting from the article - particle spin allows us to see 3-D movies (my favorite was "Hugo" in 3-D):

Though particle spins are tiny, they have an impact on our everyday world. The spin property of photons allows us to create 3D movies. A movie theater simultaneously projects two images, one with positive-spin photons and the other with negative-spin photons. One side of a pair of 3D glasses filters out the positive-spin photons, and the other filters out the negative-spin photons. We therefore see one image with each eye. Our brains combine them to create the illusion of depth.

It is a fortunate accident of biology that humans have as many eyes as photons have spin states.

edit on 12-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
And it is now totally confirmed!

The spokespeople of the two major Higgs-hunting detectors have now confirmed that the particle discovered in July is a Higgs boson. "The preliminary results with the full 2012 dataset are magnificent and to me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson," says CMS spokesperson Joe Incandela.

So the only question is what are they going to do with this new discovery? (And then they will got lost in "What gives the Higgs it properties") They will always have an excuse for their huge funding and megga electricity bills!

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nothingwrong
And it is now totally confirmed!

The spokespeople of the two major Higgs-hunting detectors have now confirmed that the particle discovered in July is a Higgs boson. "The preliminary results with the full 2012 dataset are magnificent and to me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson," says CMS spokesperson Joe Incandela.

So the only question is what are they going to do with this new discovery? (And then they will got lost in "What gives the Higgs it properties") They will always have an excuse for their huge funding and megga electricity bills!

www.newscientist.com...

Likely an entire generation of new physicists will be playing with the Higgs and whatever else pops out of the LHCollider. And the Collider still has to rev up to its full potential in a couple of years, so maybe the gravitron is next, as discussed earlier in the thread. Thanks for coming to this thead and posting the news.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join