It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 UN peacekeepers taken hostage by Syrian rebels in Golan Heights

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Where did you come across the information that they are not part of the "main" rebel group?

They certainly appear to be active in the region...

Human Rights watch said it was investigating the same rebel brigade for its role in a videotaped execution of detained Syrian soldiers posted on the Internet on Tuesday.

Wouldn't the "main" rebels put an end to these so called splinter groups?

Or perhaps this is actually the Western backed rebels as they have been know to do really stupid things in the past. Regardless if these aren't the "main" rebels, they are rebels and they are part of the foreign backed attempt for Regime change in Syria.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Sorry, I forgot to add the source, I have edited my post on the previous page with the relevant information.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Thank you for the edit

The head of the FSA better condemn this if they know what's good for them. Even though it has been condemned it proves that there they are not organized and are losing control over their own forces. The whole situation is spiraling out of control with religious extremists from other countries fighting for the highest bidder.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

So they are rebels of the rebels...? May be that's exactly what they want you to think so they can't be held accountable and found a group of thugs to do the deed and take the heat...

I doubt that there are other rebellions going on though.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

All about the AmericanIllusions
wouldnt you think

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I find it hard to understand how anyone could say either side in this is right or wrong. It's a Civil War and I'm sure both sides are a mixture of good or bad.

The outside players are all trying to use this for their own purposes. I'm appalled anyone is helping out either side or that the world is allowing arms to be sent in by any country. There simply is no side in this to support. Everyone taking sides has some kind of self interest in influencing the outcome. Some kind of hate they want to play out in Syria.

Everyone, including Iran, Russia and the West needs to back off, contain it inside the borders and let it play out. I doubt when it's over it will be any different as the next radical will simply take over and run things the same way.

My only exception to that would be if the chemical or biological weapons are used or moved and then that should be stopped aggressively and then back off again and let them sort it out.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has deleted its video check it out! even all the bad comments!!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
What a perfect opportunity for Assads forces to score some brownies....
They charge in to the rescue and free the UN and it will complcate the situation for the MSM/

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoogieMan911

Treason - Dictionary.com

The betrayal of one's own country by waging war against it or by consciously or purposely acting to aid its enemies.

Link

These terrorists are enemies of America and the UN. Any American acting to aid these terrorists are GUILTY OF TREASON.

Obama, Kerry, McCain ect are guilty of treason.

What are the Penalties for Treason?

Yeah, but they are demanding something. Its a hostage situation, so Negotiations will be held possibly. depending how this unfolds. So helping a traitor is much different than following negotiations. BUT they are traitors in the eyes of Khan.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Its always great to know you picked the right side from the start... FSA supporters, come at me, explain to me why you still support these thugs after an incident like this? Your case is crumbling...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

This is not a civil war. Foreigners have flooded in from just about every country surrounding Syria and that includes groups who have likely attacked coalition forces in Iraq. This could of been happening from the very start and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the initial protests had some sort of foreign influence also. Maybe Assad has every right to do what he is... I find it funny that he also sent lists to the UN about the terrorists operating in his country yet they ignored it. Well look whats happened now..

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Although I am not an FSA supporter, it wasn't the FSA that was behind this (according to news sources).

The FSA condemned the actions of this tear away group and vowed to do all they could to free the UN workers.

Whether or not there is any truth to their words is another matter.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

I wouldn't put any credibility into their words because in one part of the country we have the FSA condemning these sorts of acts yet in Aleppo where Al Nusrah (A recognised Terrorist group) are bunkered down and are holding certain provinces, we have parts of the FSA heirachy turning up receiving hugs and kisses from these thugs.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

thats what you get when you arm extremists you need today but dont care about tomorrow.
Maybe the UN will be barred from sending intelligence personnel to further interfere over there.

What the hell is a "peace keeper" exactly?

The mercenaries in Iraq were supposedly there for "security" or "peace keeping" as well.....they killed millions of people instead.

The hell peace are they "keeping" in a civil war?

More like funding training and arming extremists to carry out attacks against civilian soft targets.

EDIT:
in all probability they are pretending to be taken hostage to put international pressure on Assad. The 20 people might not even there, they may have just sent them the trucks.....

edit on 7-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
This sounds like a desperation move on the part of the terrorists, trying to use any leverage they can get to maintain ground, but this looks like it will backfire on them and expose them for who they really are.

Really like to see the look on the U.S. politicians faces who have been funding the terrorists if anything happens to these Peacekeepers. Almost as bad as taking Red Cross or likewise groups hostage. Was only a matter of time before something happens that the media couldn't cover up as Assad's fault.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

Assad should send the UN another letter saying "I told you so"

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

I find it hard to understand how anyone could say either side in this is right or wrong. It's a Civil War and I'm sure both sides are a mixture of good or bad.

Really, it's quite simple to understand. It's NOT a civil war, it's a foreign sponsored attempt at regime change via proxy. No one is taking sides, we are only pointing out the obvious hypocrisy from the West in their repeated attempts to demonize the Assad regime while they continue to support these blood thirsty terrorists, which most of them are not even from Syria...how is that a civil war? This is JUST like Libya, and will most likely have the same conclusion.

That being said, I am not a supporter of Assad as he and his family have been oppressing the Syrian people for a long time now, but Syria was one of the most civilized and functional nations in the Middle East before this fake uprising began.

Syria was MUCH better off before this all began, so without taking sides, it's very easy to realize which side is right in this conflict.

In order to fully understand the context of the situation you must first be willing to admit that YOUR country shares a large responsibility in all of this. Once you can accept this fact, it won't be so difficult to understand.
edit on 3/7/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

Assad should send the UN another letter saying "I told you so"

That would really piss them off

With all due respect to those who are being held captive, they had no business being there in the first place to defend these murderous terrorists so it's quite fitting that this has happened. What I mean is that this is what happens when you aid and support foreign terrorists.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

This is not a civil war. Foreigners have flooded in from just about every country surrounding Syria and that includes groups who have likely attacked coalition forces in Iraq. This could of been happening from the very start and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the initial protests had some sort of foreign influence also. Maybe Assad has every right to do what he is... I find it funny that he also sent lists to the UN about the terrorists operating in his country yet they ignored it. Well look whats happened now..

Just because one group of people are adamant that a conflict isn't a 'real' civil war doesn't make it any less a civil war. What does the fact that there are foreign fighters fighting for one side or the other have to do with the conflict's status as a civil war?

It's not the west's conflict, we should stay the hell out of it. I find it disgusting and a little bit hilarious the way people are following every little development and picking sides that they 'support,' like they would a favorite sports team. You see this strange mentality from people 'supporting' both sides, it's genuinely bizarre.

I regularly see propaganda from one side or the other being spouted by people who, to my mind, have no tangible connection to whats going on over there. People are so plugged in these days and with the huge number of videos coming out of the country they're treating it like a reality TV contest.

The fact is that both sides have committed atrocities and we should keep in mind the number of non-combatants who have been killed in this petty little pissing match. On one side you have a brutal autocrat propped up by Russia and Iran who for years turned a blind eye while extremist fighters slipped across the border to attack American servicemen in Iraq, and on the other you have some of those same extremist fighters and some less-extreme but still religiously motivated factions supported by misguided western nations and oil rich Mid-East benefactors.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
Just because one group of people are adamant that a conflict isn't a 'real' civil war doesn't make it any less a civil war. What does the fact that there are foreign fighters fighting for one side or the other have to do with the conflict's status as a civil war?

Well usually a civil war is fought between the countries people/government, not foreigners who have infiltrated what was likely a legitimate uprising. How can we call this a civil war when the people fighting have no interest in what the Syrian people want? The Syrians want Assad in power apart from a minority who are accused of bein outcasts and criminals.

It's not the west's conflict, we should stay the hell out of it. I find it disgusting and a little bit hilarious the way people are following every little development and picking sides that they 'support,' like they would a favorite sports team. You see this strange mentality from people 'supporting' both sides, it's genuinely bizarre.

The idea is to work out what the hell is going on over their and from what I'm seeing, the country is a lot worse than what it was before the war started whether Assad is good or bad.

I regularly see propaganda from one side or the other being spouted by people who, to my mind, have no tangible connection to whats going on over there. People are so plugged in these days and with the huge number of videos coming out of the country they're treating it like a reality TV contest.

I don't have any connection to Syria but I do a lot of research to what is going on over their. I look at both sides of the issue pro and against Assad. Again, from what I have learnt, Assad is likely right in most of what hes saying and thats not my opinion, the proof is starting to surface on its own.

The fact is that both sides have committed atrocities and we should keep in mind the number of non-combatants who have been killed in this petty little pissing match. On one side you have a brutal autocrat propped up by Russia and Iran who for years turned a blind eye while extremist fighters slipped across the border to attack American servicemen in Iraq, and on the other you have some of those same extremist fighters and some less-extreme but still religiously motivated factions supported by misguided western nations and oil rich Mid-East benefactors.

Of course they have but what do you expect Assad to do? Shed all his tanks and let extremists simply take over? He has to protect that country for his people whether they like him or not. That is not our decision and we cannot change what the Syrians want him to do. If my country was being overrun by Christian fundamentalists, I would expect my government to eradicate them also. Unless we are living in that country and understand what those people are actually going through, we shouldn't really comment whos right and wrong. The majority want Assad to stay. If they didn't, they would of finished him off a long time ago and he even admits that. All this shows is that the majority are not protesting and are quiet happy with Assad controlling that country. These extremists are only going to help his cause at the next elections also.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join