Classical Music: Publication and Representation

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What does one need to do to present classical music to the "world"?

I write it, but what do I do now?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I have a friend that writes/composes music, whatever you musicians call it. He puts his stuff on free sites like tindeck.com and youtube for starters, maybe one or two more (a lot of people use soundcloud I know). He is also considering putting stuff on iTunes once he gets a little bit more material he really likes, and I heard somewhere you can get that going for something like $50. Other than that he has his own website but I heard that doesn't get much traffic haha

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

My stuff is on YouTube but that's like saying there is a snowflake out there in the blizzard . . . somewhere. I'm wondering more about how serious composers go about their business. Do they seek a publisher? Do they seek a high profile performer? Do they get an agent?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

You can hire people to do that, the problem is that it is very difficult. There are many different scams involving this, where people will lose rights to their music and stuff... You gotta be careful and from what little I know it sounds to me as if musicians need to be more discovered than self-put out there. Again, starting in a lot of little places may help you secure some type of deal... Doing collabs with people and what not can help.

Of course there may be better options out there, I do not know.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
There are entertainment newspapers you can get free locally where they advertise local bands, at least around here anyway, you could advertise there or where musicians put ads to get bands together. If you are looking to sell to famous musicians, go to their websites and contact them.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

I guess getting "discovered" is the key. When I stop writing "snowflakes" and start writing "icebergs" I may start to get noticed.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

One time I went on a famous person's Facebook page and left a nice little note asking them to take a look at a song I thought they might be interested in. I gave the URL of the YouTube video and within ten minutes my note had been removed from the Facebook page and I never heard a word from the singer.

And I'm talking classical music here. I wasn't trying to contact Jimmy Page.

edit on 6-3-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Well I cannot offer anything else except if you post a link to your music I will flag this thread and give it a listen

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

Believe me I would love to and if I had not been so outspoken on political matters since 2007 in a vain attempt to convince America to arrest the Bush cabinet, (and other issues), I would. Bringing the various parts of my internet presence out in one gaudy bundle is a hayride I'd like to avoid if possible.

Posting on ATS is like the secret ballot for me or like the "kitchen table rant". It's not something I want to be connected with my ordinary life.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Found this. Looks interesting, but research the company further if interested.
www.bmi.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thanks for the link. I'm going to look into it in detail.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I would love to listen to your music, can you post a link to your youtube here?

You can make a bandcamp.com page.

You can try to seek a theatre company or films looking for scoring or compositions. There are local and professional orchestras and sympathies and music conservatories that most likely purchase sheet music and are always searching for pieces to perform. Perhaps there is some distributing company that holds work on their site and maybe pays composers royalties or commission whenever their works are purchased.

you can google or youtube "how to sell your classical compositions"

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
If you're interested in composition and classical music in general, surely you must know others who share your interest?

Where did you learn music? If you went to music school, do you have contacts among your former teachers or fellow students who would be keen to hear, and perhaps perform, your music? Have you approached them?

Most composers are also musicians. Do you have fellow-musicians who would be interested in your music? Do you have a job or appointment (such as church organist or music teacher) that puts you in touch with other musicians or could be used to give your music public exposure?

Do you know fellow-musicians in your town or local community? Is there a local chamber group or orchestra who might be interested in rehearsing and performing your music? Most composers have close ties with musicians, and often write pieces especially for them. Have you considered getting in touch with some musicians like that—not national or international stars, but members of your local classical-music community?

Are there any community groups or organisations promoting culture at local or state level who could help you?

If you want to find an agent and get your music published, you have to show at least a potential demand for it. So you have to get it performed, so that people can hear it. If it's any good, audiences will respond, you'll create a buzz, and people will approach you with offers. Even if they don't, you'll end up with testimonials, references, press notices (local reporters nearly always give sympathetic review to local artists) and some juicy recorded material to help get an agent or publisher interested.

If, on the other hand, you're just a lonely soul writing manuscript in your study, or making home recordings on a synthesiser, you're unlikely to get anywhere. Music is not a sound that comes out of speakers, you know; music is people making sounds for other people to listen to. It is always live; a recording is just a facsimile of music, never the real thing.

Music is always a communal activity. To make it (in both senses of the word), you need to get people on your side. Even someone as cantankerous and anti-social as Beethoven had his Count Waldstein.

edit on 6/3/13 by Astyanax because: of a couple of bum notes.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I live in a garret within a garret, but I hear ya.

One thing I have considered doing is getting in touch with the Royal Conservatory of Music at the University of Toronto to see if I can find someone who might be able to evaluate the music and to give me a grade, so to speak. Things might flow from there. Otherwise, thanks for your response. There is a lot of good sense in it.

Edit: I am "self taught" and have no professional connections to the music business or to musical friends.
edit on 7-3-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I am sorry you lack musical friends. One of the most transcendental experiences in life is that of creating music together with others. Perhaps, before thinking of getting published, you should try to make contact with other musicians.

For one thing, it would greatly benefit the actual process of composition. Ensemble scores, like play scripts, need to be shaken down in performance—when you hear the music in the air it will always sound different from the way it sounds in your head. You will hear things you want to improve or correct, or creative opportunities that did not become apparent until you actually heard the music. Even if you only compose for solo instruments or solo voice, hearing another person's interpretation of your score will be hugely illuminating.

For another, meeting, listening to and playing with other musicians will cause you to grow and develop as a composer as well as a musician.

It seems to me, from your reply, that you're rather hesitant to take yourself and your art out into the world of real people. But that is the only world in which it can have any meaning. Leave the garret and seek your fortune abroad. If you are talented and persistent, you cannot fail.

Edit: BMI is just a clearing-house for broadcast and performance royalties. They're not interested in musicians who don't already have careers.

edit on 7/3/13 by Astyanax because: of the woeful truth regarding BMI.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Look into getting an apprenticeship. I don't know how old you are - many are aimed at High School level students, but there are others

See if there is a way to volunteer with a local classical music group in your area - in any capacity. Even if they only need a water boy :-)

I know a young cellist here where I live that began volunteering at the music library for our local symphony - she's begun working there part time with a the possibility of being employed full time. Now she has an in she might not have had otherwise. Many connections, loads of advice, more opportunities - possible shot at an audition...

edit on 3/7/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Thanks for all the responses. I am an older person with a very busy schedule so "getting out there" is not likely to happen. I think I was born in the wrong century. Fortunately, when one has the sensibility of someone from four or five hundred BC, one has little expectation of anything happening anyway.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Don't abandon ship Hun, there's still hope.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

You could present your music HERE, if you are on youtube.

Just imbed the video with the last few numbers and letters after the = sign (youtube number)

I like classical music and would like to hear it.

posted on Apr, 10 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Theflyingweldsman

Someone else suggested this earlier in the thread.

Having strong views and expressing them freely and anonymously on ATS has its price. I think it is important to get the views into a public arena like this one where others can read them, but I don't want the expression of those views to generate too much heat around me personally. If I expose my YouTube and website presence to the public in a way that connects them to my "outrageous opinions", . . . . (sigh)

I'm thinking about it. Maybe I should man up and own my own opinions. It's a dilemma.

new topics

top topics

join