It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; suggests axes and machetes, too

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Figuring the story is the 9/11 highjackers took over the plane with a box opener, i'm not sure how to feel about this. Help me out ATS because saying Axes and Machetes and no plane take-over is possible is a little hazy to me~

"They ought to let everything on that is sharp and pointy. Battle axes, machetes ... bring anything you want that is pointy and sharp because while you may be able to commit an act of violence, you will not be able to take over the plane. It is as simple as that," he said.

Really....... Because that door is dumbie proof? Any expert on the cockpit doors out there? Let alone they might not be able to take over the plane.... They could just kill everyone on board~

"So my position would be, bravo on the 2.6 inch knife. But why not take it all the way and then really clean up the checkpoint where officers are focusing on bombs and toxins, which are things that can destroy an airplane. And it would smooth the process, cost less money, and be better security."

And, he pointed out, "You can commit acts of violence on an aircraft with what is allowed now. With a Coke can, a key, a ruler, and some duck tape, you can make a 12-inch razor-sharp sword. And every eighth-grader would be able to do that."

"The air marshals and the flight attendants have legitimate concerns, certainly, for their own safety, but the threat of taking over a plane with a small, sharp instrument is zero," Hawley said. "You cannot necessarily prevent violence on an airplane, but that is not the TSA's mission. TSA's mission is to prevent a successful, catastrophic terrorist attack, and you cannot get a successful, catastrophic terrorist attack with a small knife or a Wiffle ball bat."

So very true.... I'm just having a hard time with this one... As yes our money should be used in other areas, I believe... But WTH~ Thoughts??? anyone? If this has been done ignore please but I didn't see anything on search as this is a new article I just read~

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
My personal belief is to allow everyone to be armed who wishes to be armed. If even a few passengers had been armed would terrorists ever have gotten control of the planes? Doubtful.

(If you buy the OS.)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I don't think that encouraging people to bring on axes and machetes is the way to go. I do agree that there will never be another hijacking like on 9/11. Even if the hijackers had machetes, after 9/11 the majority of passengers will no longer sit by and let themselves be hijacked.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I definately agree with you on both points Gman as well as Darthmuerta. Anyone think that this will impact the revenue of Airlines? As when more and more passengers become aware that these types of weapons are allowed via airplane, how many in the states will drive than fly?

Truth be told, I would still fly, though I would not take my child or fiance' on a plane knowing this. Guess I'd rather protect myself than have to do something foolish or hastily to protect my daughter and future wifey crossfire or knives and axes being allowed doesn't necessarily give you that safe feeling (Not that I wouldn't if they were there, it's just easier if your by yourself imo). Then again you are in a metal cigar flying at high altitudes what could be more dangerous....

top topics

join