It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City looks to make gun ownership mandatory

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
City looks to make gun ownership mandatory

Obama opened the door to government mandated purchases by citizens with his abominable care act. Now another city in Georgia is poised to mandate firearm ownership for all homeowners.

NELSON, Ga. — Every homeowner in a local town could soon have to own a gun or break the law. It's a controversial new plan for the city of Nelson. Leaders told Channel 2's John Bachman the reason they need the law is because the city straddles Cherokee county to the south and Pickens County to the north. That, they said, can lead to slower response times. One police officer patrols Nelson, Georgia for eight hours during the day. That leaves 16 hours overnight when the city is basically unguarded. "When he's not here we rely on county sheriffs--however it takes a while for them to get here," said Nelson City Councilman Duane Cronic.

Opt outs are available for religious reasons, mental incapacity, and convicted felons. Normally I would normally oppose government mandated purchases, BUT..... Maybe this will teach dear leader what a precedent is?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
That's it.

I'm moving.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Make that two of us.

I always liked Georgia.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'd like to see that here, it would help deter crime.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

I think its a great idea.

What better deterrent than a city with armed citizens behind every door?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I would like to see it here in Florida myself. Georgia is looking better though.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Georgia already has one such city, Kennesaw. I don't know, off hand, where this other city is but as a person who lives near Kennesaw and has been there countless times, I can honestly say - it's no safer than any other city in this area.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Make it illegal to not own a firearm? What a load of hypocritical double-standard nonsense. Eliminating such a choice is fascism.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Make it illegal to not own a firearm? What a load of hypocritical double-standard nonsense. Eliminating such a choice is fascism.

Make it illegal to not buy health insurance? What a load of hypocritical double-standard nonsense. Eliminating such a choice is fascism.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I see no double standard in regard to the constitution.

“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The first part indicates that a well regulated (maintained, equipped) militia (standing force comprised of the people) is necessary for the security of the free state.

So it is logical to conclude that the second amendment gives the government (federal, state, and local) the right to persuade it’s citizens to acquire arms in the name of a common defense.

And in the same accord, the government does not have the right to prevent someone from keeping and bearing arms if the state chooses to not require it.

The state can require people to be armed, but the state has no right to tell them they can’t be armed.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Make it illegal to not buy health insurance? What a load of hypocritical double-standard nonsense. Eliminating such a choice is fascism.

I agree. Your point?

How is this any different?

How is making it mandatory to buy guns any different than making it mandatory to buy health insurance? How is forcing someone to buy one thing different than forcing them to buy another?

Double standards and hypocrisy.

You would protect your right to own guns by eliminating the right not to own guns. I see a failure of rationality here.
edit on 6-3-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

I see no double standard in regard to the constitution.

“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The first part indicates that a well regulated (maintained, equipped) militia (standing force comprised of the people) is necessary for the security of the free state.

So it is logical to conclude that the second amendment gives the government (federal, state, and local) the right to persuade it’s citizens to acquire arms in the name of a common defense.

And in the same accord, the government does not have the right to prevent someone from keeping and bearing arms if the state chooses to not require it.

The state can require people to be armed, but the state has no right to tell them they can’t be armed.

This ia absolutely hilarious, I love it!!!!!

On the one hand I'm thinking "Americas Funniest home videos" with dopy mcgee jumping off the roof and wonderin' why his legs snapped in half, as his buds all jeer and laugh, drinking brewskies and with their pants around their feet.

then on the other hand, I'm seeing this militia.

Hilarious.....

edit on 6-3-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Replacing one type of facism with another.

No government should ever be allowed to force a purchase on its citizen.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Originally posted by Hefficide

Georgia already has one such city, Kennesaw. I don't know, off hand, where this other city is but as a person who lives near Kennesaw and has been there countless times, I can honestly say - it's no safer than any other city in this area.

I've never been to Kennesaw, but I do know how to "Google"...

The city violent crime rate for Kennesaw in 2010 was lower than the national violent crime rate average by 85.16% and the city property crime rate in Kennesaw was lower than the national property crime rate average by 46.46%.

In 2010 the city violent crime rate in Kennesaw was lower than the violent crime rate in Georgia by 85.15% and the city property crime rate in Kennesaw was lower than the property crime rate in Georgia by 56.74%.

That STILL seems to be a much safer area to live in than many other places in the United States, or even in Georgia.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 6-3-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It sounds good till you realise that every time you leave your house the police can do a stop and if you are not packing for a good reason then you're going to be in trouble, so just nipping down to see aunty june and you forget to pack your ,45 thats 3 years in the pokey, and i'd love to see how that would affect visitors and especially foreign tourists who suddenly have to buy a weapon just to visit the town (unless they loan out to tourists for free)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I imagine they would feel the same way as someone who carried everyday getting arrested in a hoplophobic place like NYC and sent up river for causing no harm to anyone.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm as pro gun as they come. But this is no better than the opposite end of the spectrum. As well as being hypocritiical. Requiring a "free" citizen to own a firearm by legislating it, is a violation of that citizens right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

From the same source you cited:

Kennesaw crime statistics report an overall upward trend in crime based on data from 11 years with violent crime increasing and property crime increasing. Based on this trend, the crime rate in Kennesaw for 2013 is expected to be higher than in 2010.

Those numbers are old and, I would assume, cherry picked for a site called "City Rating dot com".

As the Wiki page for Kennesaw shows, it is a predominantly white, middle to upper middle classed - small city. IE the kind of place that tends to have low crime rates almost by default.

By way of comparison a similar city, in the Metro area, Peachtree City - with no mandatory gun ownership and a comparable per capita income actually had better crime statistics than Kennesaw.

These two places are within an hour of each other and have the low crime stats because of the income levels of the areas - not because of guns.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Your obvious bigotry is duly noted.

It’s amazing how one side always preaches tolerance until it is them that have to do the tolerating. Then they start preaching about the “stupid retarded redneck backwood idiots”.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The government shouldn't force anyone to;
Buy health insurance
Buy a firearm

It's like free speech. You should be free to express yourself, or if you don't want to say anything, not express yourself.

Being FORCED to speak is the same as being FORCED to silence.

In my humble opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join