It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

spending cuts in effect, Stocks at all time high - to me this doesn't seem to add up

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

PM's can be useful to maintain value, but gold and silver prices/value are also inflated due to over-saturation. The best PM to invest in would be copper. It's value is consistent and has many more uses than gold and silver.....giving you a market to sell even in a SHTF situation. Also, most people do not have physical possession of their gold/silver.

What good does that do?

Bad side: It's so cheap that you can buy literally tons of it. Where to store it all?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
reply to post by camaro68ss

PM's can be useful to maintain value, but gold and silver prices/value are also inflated due to over-saturation. The best PM to invest in would be copper. It's value is consistent and has many more uses than gold and silver.....giving you a market to sell even in a SHTF situation. Also, most people do not have physical possession of their gold/silver.

What good does that do?

Bad side: It's so cheap that you can buy literally tons of it. Where to store it all?

Just like anything else, There is only value to those that perceive it as value.

It only value is whats one willingness to pay or trade for it.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sk8ter

Our media is the real problem. They control our elections. They control the minds of the masses. I don't believe 100% of anything i read or see on TV. I like facts and the media is not giving us facts. They are giving us whatever fits their agenda. I am aware that the fed is printing money and destroying the dollar. I think everyone is being played as a puppet in one way or another. I don't know how it will play out in the long run. The people are no longer in charge though. Elections are a joke.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
its funny how if all the rich people pull their assets off the stock market, (13 families mind you, not too hard to conspire to do this) the stock market collapses and those with jobs and money tied up in IRA or whatever lose everything, then the suckers just dump the money back in for less as its now worth twice as many shares. what a circle jerk.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The DJIA is a collection of about 30 or so blue chip stocks. It is not an indicator of economic health. This notion that it is an indicator of economic health is perpetuated by some crazy, ignorant game of telephone initiated by talking heads.

There are two reasons why the index is hitting record highs:

1. Capital is cheaper than it has ever been. Corporations can borrow money at nearly zero cost.

2. Unemployment is relatively high. This shrinks the cost of labor.

When you put these two reasons together, these corporations are able to maximize their profit like never before. This drives up the price of the marketed equities.

As you can see, the DJIA is not in fact an indicator of economic health. Our money is near worthless, and no one can demand more of it for their labor. Our economy is not healthy.
edit on 6-3-2013 by MisfitToy because: misspelled word.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The only people that will suffer when it tanks again are the working class folks that are trying to rebuild their retirement from the last engineered collapse. Such a shame. Good, hard working folks still believing in the American dream just trying to build a retirement and they are going to get screwed...again.

The market will tank, stock values will plummet and everyday folks will lose whatever they had left in their accounts...then the vultures will swoop in and buy up the remnants for pennies on the dollar.

I have been somewhat watching this for a while. I am not an investor or anything so grand but in the past, the health of the economy could seemingly be gauged by the DJIA and this time...it has not. I noticed this so have been watching and waiting for the hammer to fall and wipe out the "amateur" investors. My gut says it is inevitable but I have no idea when or what indicators to look for. As I said, I just started noticing the oddness recently so I have no grand insight or "wisdom" of any of this.
edit on 3/6/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
1929 Crash.

Intro:
On September 4, 1929 the stock market hit an all time high as a result of the American industrial revolution right after the Labor Day weekend.

By October 24, 1929 the stock market was down 20%. On October 28, 1929 the stock market was down another 13.5%. On the historical day of October 29, 1929 the stock market dropped 11.5% to bring the Dow down a total of 39.6% from its high.

www.bullinvestors.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So where's all the extra money coming from? Prices are going up on commodities, and have been, yet more and more investments are adding to the volume.

A guy at work made a comment the other day, that it was at an all time high, reading an article in the paper, that we've passed per-recession numbers. I snickered.

Then again, he's near retirement age, and is heavily vested in the market. He's relying on the market to fund his retirement. Sadly enough, I don't think he'll make it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join