It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America Goes On Strike !

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Quite right! A general strike is the only way to stop the machinery of government gone out of control. People need to fear the future as it is more than they do the results of a general stoppage of work resulting in empty gas pumps, grocery stores and the like.
We can do without many things but the one thing we cannot do without is a future. Without freedom there is no future or at least nothing worth imagining. Funny thing about people is we live in tomorrow it seems, always looking ahead but rarely at the now. It's our hopes and dreams as much as our toil and sweat that create the world we live in.
edit on 7-3-2013 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by YouSir

What if whatever personal cornucopia's we were able to compile, made neighbors of strangers and friends of neighbors and family of friends and we all recognized the simple humanity that lies buried, hidden in the trappings of a society based on gain?.......What if what we gained instead was friendship, was forgiveness for the lent/broken lawnmower, the thousand and one things that keep street and villiage from being community? What if we put aside our differences, our keyboards, our texting and actually spoke, actually looked one another in the eye bumped knuckles, shook hands, patted backs, hugged and asked......what is important for you...today?...........................................What if?

At the risk of being repetitive, what if ....

In response to the problems of the global financial system, many communities have turned to local exchange systems to help regain some control over their economic situations.

Local exchange systems come in many forms. They often involve the creation of a local currency, or a system of bartering labor, or trading of agricultural products as a means of supporting the region in which they are traded. Such a system helps preserve the viability of local economies.

Local currencies allow communities to diversify their economies, reinvest resources back into their region, and reduce dependence on the highly concentrated and unstable global economy. Each local currency system serves as an exchange bank for skills and resources that individuals in the community are willing to trade. Whether in the form of paper money, service credits, or other units, a local currency facilitates the exchange of services and resources among the members of a community.
www.lumiere.net...

What if you could pay for your next hair cut using a local currency? What if you could get your lawn work done using local currency? What if your babysitter accepted local currency? What if you could earn some local currency by doing whatever you do best for the people of your community and then spend it back into the community instead of giving it to a multinational bank? Everybody has a skill set, they just need a market to sell their products and services to ~ their neighbors.

But of course somebody would first have to understand how it works in order to promote it, the people who agree to use it would have to also agree on the value of said currency, they would have to print it (if its not an online LETS system) and a percentage of the local businesses would have to agree to accept it. Not easy, but doable with enough determination. Google Ithaca Hours to get an idea.

One hint, don't try to convince your local Chamber of Commerce to participate, they're an appendage of the international commerce control gang and they like the system just as it is. That's all you need to know about the CoC.

Striking is a good idea but get some economic ducks in a row beforre you dive off the high board.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mrdeadfolx

I've said pretty much the same in the past, but lets add to this, don't purchase their stuff. Stop buying I phones or similar, stop buying their sneakers, their games, their TV's, their soaps, their prepared foods (most of which have loads of stuff in them that no human or animal should eat). Just stop buying.

Pull your money out of the bank. Stop purchasing stocks, and sell them, (they will be worthless when the stock market crashes anyway. Can't you see it coming?) Sell off your government bonds if possible. Keep your old car and stop buying or leasing new cars.

No one can not live in a vacuum, but there are lots of ways to cut down on the money you flow into the hands of big business.

Yup. Don't shop at those big box stores, instead go to the mom and pop stores and spend money their. It will make a huge difference to mom and pop, and it will really put money back into the community.

Our local mom and pop stores including pharmacy and lumber-yard carry locally made foods like maplesyrup (the real stuff), as well as various nut butters, bug sprays that are made of natural ingredients, and lots of other things that put money back into the local economy.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Quite right! A general strike is the only way to stop the machinery of government gone out of control. People need to fear the future as it is more than they do the results of a general stoppage of work resulting in empty gas pumps, grocery stores and the like.
We can do without many things but the one thing we cannot do without is a future. Without freedom there is no future or at least nothing worth imagining. Funny thing about people is we live in tomorrow it seems, always looking ahead but rarely at the now. It's our hopes and dreams as much as our toil and sweat that create the world we live in.

I don't know about the only way. I and others have been saying it for awhile.

Stop paying taxes. IRS/State, that you are complied to pay voluntarily. (Voluntary compliance, look it up)

Keep your job so you can still pay your bills. Stop volunteering to mail in a portion of your paycheck out of fear.

If the system continues after it receives no taxes, then make sure you can feed/water yourself when going on a serious strike and afterwards.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
If you really want to make people squirm, submit a new W-4 with your employer. Where it asks for exemptions, write "exempt". If you could get a few million to do this, you cut off the cash flow to D.C.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

An average of 10% unemployment and you think people will strike?

No thanks, I rather enjoy the prospect of eating a meal tomorrow.....

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrdeadfolx
reply to post by peaceful1oflove

SnF, this is exactly what needs to be done. Thanks for the link

Thank YOU! We can get a movement going peacefully.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

I couldn't agree with you more, the reason we have no qualm with working every day in the first place is so we can know with comfort that we'll have a roof over our head, food in our mouths, and electricity to keep us warm in the future. Our biggest obstacle is reaching out to those people that don't care or feel that not working is too big of a risk. It's downright scary thinking that this strike is dependent on other people's ability to grasp the urgency of the matter that we're currently in.

I would say as of right now, the future and what it holds for us isn't worth the money we're receiving, and the money that they're gaining. Its like those old cartoons, two for me, five for you, two for me, twenty for you. The whole system is out of whack and this imbalance is going to be our very undoing unless we do something about it right now.

I have a neighbor that thinks this very thing is downright impossible. Because he needs to keep working to keep a roof over his head. He can't afford to miss work for a few days because if he did they'd just hire someone in his spot then he'd be out a job, out of money, out of a home, etc. I understand where he's coming from, and he understands where I'm coming from too. But what he doesn't realize is that in the future we're heading toward, there is no job, there is no money... frankly as I see it, there's no real reason to be part of the agenda that's trying to wipe us out. It might not be today, it may not be tomorrow. But its coming.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
If you really want to make people squirm, submit a new W-4 with your employer. Where it asks for exemptions, write "exempt". If you could get a few million to do this, you cut off the cash flow to D.C.

I like this idea, but how are we going to get a few million to do this? Granted getting a few million to not go to work is far more difficult, but at least they get to spend time with their family before the SHTF. When that happens we'll be lucky we ever see our family again...

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

sure they can buy them but what happens if they do turn them on us and we stop paying taxes... how will they fuel them??

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well, considering I'm a full time college student who hasn't been able to find meaningful work for over 2 years? I don't know what I'd have to strike from??

I'm with ya in spirit though! I'd sure support any such call with my presence on the protest lines, without question.

I so agree with you I am a college grad and I can't even find a job in my field it's absolutely ridiculous

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by peaceful1oflove

Originally posted by mrdeadfolx
reply to post by peaceful1oflove

SnF, this is exactly what needs to be done. Thanks for the link

Thank YOU! We can get a movement going peacefully.

Truth on both accounts here

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What if instead of striking for work, we made a national week or day to boycott certain elements of society. Say for instance we took a day and did not go into into the banks. Or better yet, everybody went into the bank and took out100$ then spent the cash instead of using bank cards. Each day in the week we could refrain from using some element of business.

How about this... Boycott Bad Business Week!

Sunday: make a colorful poster, fix it up with a lots of colors and put this schedule on it. Make two and put them up in both rear windows of your car for everyone to see. Maybe a link to a website giving directions for the weeks boycott. If you don't have a car then put the poster in the window on the front of your house for all to see, or a telephone pole if you want to be anonymous, then leave it for one week.

Monday: Take out 100$ from the bank and reserve to use it through the week instead of using your bank card.

Tuesday: Make your breakfast lunch and dinner at home for the day, or whatever, just don't eat fast food.

Wednesday: Don't get gas in your car. Make sure that you do it some other day of the week.

Thursday: No TV whatsoever, not even for one minute, use Netflix, watch DVD's or go online instead.

Friday: Write a letter to the government, email it, whatever, take five minutes, pic your favorite gripe and go with it.

Saturday: Take a break, and feel good for being a part of something positive, make a mental note of your efforts, come up with some good ideas about how to make it more effective and share the idea with as many people as you know.

If enough people followed this schedule for one week, we could get some attention. Big business would notice, the ideas could get some exposure and nobody would have to sacrifice anything, well, except American idle... but we could always rearrange the schedule a week, DVR, or watch it online instead. The only effort it would take would be in scheduling.

We could all do this together the first week of every month. Free to us, but bad for them. We could possibly learn a thing or two in the process as well as bring awareness about some really bad business practices out there.

SnF OP way to go, got me convinced.

ETA:
Wow, this seems like such a good idea to me, I had to edit just to say that I'm going to copy and paste this post into my Facebook page, which I haven't even visited in months. OP I don't want to steal your thunder, I was just thinking about how do do something like what you talk about but without losing any money. Maybe hey could both work in unison...

edit on 7-3-2013 by Quauhtli because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again.

These problems we see with the DHS or any other part of government are symptoms of a system that is inherently flawed and immoral. The state has a monopoly on the use of force (as evidenced by the DHS's recent actions..Millions of Americans object to these intimidation style tactics but we are powerless to respond because they hold the monopoly on force/violence).

Because the state system is all we have ever known most people think it absurd to even question the authority of the state but I think it's absurd NOT to. Just look at all of the destruction and evil in the world, on a larger scale. It almost invariably stems from abuses of power by the state, time and time and time again.

Ideologies of collectivism and statism are precisely the main culprits in holding back humanity from advancing.

A simple glance at history and the abuses of power by government should provide ample indications that we shouldn't for a second be surprised to see our own government and DHS acting this way. It's in their very nature to increase their own power and control at any and every opportunity.

This is exactly what should be expected to happen when millions and millions of people buy into the propaganda and support a corrupt and immoral system. (not to even mention the same thing happening in other countries all over the world).
Voting new and seemingly different politicians into office has not and will not work. Protesting will not work. A general strike isn't necessarily a bad idea but so long as people still support the system itself I personally think we will still be on the wrong track.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
The best example of a mass strike in the states is the mass strike which was started by Golden Gate Bridge workers. They shut down San Fran for about a week. They got everything they wanted.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
most people are so far in debt to the system that they can`t afford to buck the system.

Depending on what poll you look at, 30-70 percent of americans live pay check to pay check and can`t afford to miss time from work with no pay.
before you can bite the hand that feeds you, you have to get out from under the thumb.
as long as you are neck deep in debt to the system you are a puppet of the system and they know it even if you don`t.
They have you on a leash and if you start to get out of line or start making too much noise they just give your leash a hard tug and bring you right back into line.

The first step in being able to fight back is to get out from under their thumb, claim bankruptcy on everything except your house and maybe your car if you want to keep it, then start saving your money and paying cash for everything.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedimind
I've said it many times before and I'll say it again.

These problems we see with the DHS or any other part of government are symptoms of a system that is inherently flawed and immoral. The state has a monopoly on the use of force (as evidenced by the DHS's recent actions..Millions of Americans object to these intimidation style tactics but we are powerless to respond because they hold the monopoly on force/violence).

Because the state system is all we have ever known most people think it absurd to even question the authority of the state but I think it's absurd NOT to. Just look at all of the destruction and evil in the world, on a larger scale. It almost invariably stems from abuses of power by the state, time and time and time again.

Ideologies of collectivism and statism are precisely the main culprits in holding back humanity from advancing.

A simple glance at history and the abuses of power by government should provide ample indications that we shouldn't for a second be surprised to see our own government and DHS acting this way. It's in their very nature to increase their own power and control at any and every opportunity.

This is exactly what should be expected to happen when millions and millions of people buy into the propaganda and support a corrupt and immoral system. (not to even mention the same thing happening in other countries all over the world).
Voting new and seemingly different politicians into office has not and will not work. Protesting will not work. A general strike isn't necessarily a bad idea but so long as people still support the system itself I personally think we will still be on the wrong track.

agreed, the pen may be mightier than the sword but you can`t use a pen when they cut your hands off. force and violence have always been the trump card, he who displays the most force for the longest time, wins.
edit on 7-3-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

You need first of all for them to see how many of you there are.
Take the slave revolt for a minute from Roman times.
The citizens of Rome didn't realize how many slaves were in Rome until the day came they united and all started wearing a white arm band. After awhile the Romans saw they were out numbered by their own slaves.
Since we are all slaves of a the system the system needs to see it could be the system of a down for them turned around.
Somehow you need to start a small arm band movement in the populcae and let it grow.
I am also into garbage.
Bring bags of garbage to a protest and build a wall for a barracade and they see at as hazardous waste and need special teams to try and remove it. Make sure it's good and smelly. Do at night late night. Before they line up to beat you down.
Arm bands.....................

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Or better yet, everybody went into the bank and took out100$ then spent the cash instead of using bank cards

Just look at 1929 to see what that would do....
There is never enough cash in the bank to fully cover even a good percentage of the deposits...because they loan it out, and make money with it.

Of course, this is exactly what I do anyhow. The bank is only for bills that have to be paid that way, for me (i.e. bills that are not local, which include mortgage and insurance).

Everything else I do with cash. Why?

I have a good friend. Years ago, they did a bankruptcy. They got out of it, back on their feet, etc.
Then, one day (years later), out of the blue, because some idiot didn't cross a t, dot an i, etc., the bank froze their assets, and they had nothing.

Took them months to sort it all out, during which time they had NO access to their funds, to do anything (happened right after a payday deposit too). Luckily, family and friends helped, and eventually it all got settled, but I vowed to never put myself or my family in that position.

Also, with cash I can buy whatever I please, and not worry about any entity tracking my purchases, etc. There are a lot of very legitimate purchases that can be spun into the wrong context by someone willing to do so...especially if you are a prepper.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join