It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC sounds alarm on deadly, untreatable superbugs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

No. You're putting words in my mouth. Look over my posts. Attempt to comprehend with an open mind. Thanks.

no thanks i'll pass on that. lol

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
A big fat thank-you to factory farms and the widespread administration of prophylactic antibiotics to livestock.
This, more than any over-prescribing of antibiotics for humans, has led to the current catastrophe. The short-sighted, greedy, perversely evil mental midgets in the factory farm industry may have managed to finally destroy humanity.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is what happens when the Pentagon engineers viruses to deliver DNA twisting codes that take the fundamentalism out of angry Muslim populations. They mutate then some infected international traveler comes around and the virus attacks, say for example, fundamentalist Americans. This is where sheeple are made, through the viruses.

Then some other group in another country has to reverse engineer the virus and add some enhancements, like to flip the switch from calm to ferocious. Then add to the population some Monsanto pesticide or GMO grain that is new to accommodate their engineered bee's diets, and the bacteria mutates with the help of bacteriophages, crippling natural immunity.

It is a big mess but if you find the smart doctors you can probably see when a big company or government agent gave them a fat envelope of money to play stupid about where this started.

So it is the end of he world and I looking for that plague of grievous sores. Is this the event starting?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
These superbugs are targeting the patients with compromised immune systems but it is still worrisome. How many people out there have compromised immune systems and don't know it? Do people with diabetes or any chronic illness fall under this?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

You have good insight.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon
This is what happens when the Pentagon engineers viruses to deliver DNA twisting codes that take the fundamentalism out of angry Muslim populations. They mutate then some infected international traveler comes around and the virus attacks, say for example, fundamentalist Americans. This is where sheeple are made, through the viruses.

Then some other group in another country has to reverse engineer the virus and add some enhancements, like to flip the switch from calm to ferocious. Then add to the population some Monsanto pesticide or GMO grain that is new to accommodate their engineered bee's diets, and the bacteria mutates with the help of bacteriophages, crippling natural immunity.

It is a big mess but if you find the smart doctors you can probably see when a big company or government agent gave them a fat envelope of money to play stupid about where this started.

So it is the end of he world and I looking for that plague of grievous sores. Is this the event starting?

All it did was create weird looking rats in Iran

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle

Originally posted by nomnom
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Completely different circumstances.

What she is describing is gradual adaptation yet at a faster rate than the norm.

What you're describing is relatively quick need for adaptation due to thousands of years of bugs in one part of the world instantly being transferred to the new world.

These bugs are evolving quicker than before, but if you walk barefoot, you have a better chance of the immune system recognizing it and possibly being able to mount an attack, due to increased exposure over one's life time.

I walk in sandles for most of the year. Haven't been sick since my wreck in '05.

sounds like bull # to me but hey if it works for people believing in such things who am i to argue. i don't mean that in a derogatory way, btw, just that i think it's sue-do science at it's best. i mean think about it, my hands and face, nose and eyes are much more susceptible to pathogens and they are always exposed to airborne and water borne pathogens, yet people still become ill.

if you're healthy i'm glad for you and i think people should be able to do anything they want that doesn't harm others.

I agree that exposing yourself to germs does build up an immunity but I think there are other players in the game to complete the picture.

Nutrition plays a big part and I think people are getting sick because of their reliance on fast food and its convenience. I also think stress (anyone on this site overworked and underpaid?) and family/friend connection play a role, too. If you eat a healthy diet, exercise and keep stress in check by connecting with friends and family (even pets are great stress reducers!) you won't get sick so often.

Those who do get sick get tricked by the industry into thinking antibiotics should be used instead of natural home-made remedies (that grandma swears by!) and antibiotics/drugs only cure the sympton and not the disease itself. So we go back for more for a different ailment and get prescribed more drugs. In the meantime the bacteria are figuring out how to fight against it and then evolve enough to become resistant. So big pharma gets more money to create MORE drugs to feed MORE people who are becoming even MORE sick.

It's a nasty cycle.
edit on 6-3-2013 by texasgirl because: misspelled some words

edit on 6-3-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
When people abuse antibiotics for simple things like cold, they making their body get used to it, thus when you are actually in need for antibiotics due to a lethal cold, the antibiotic wont be that effective.

-Microbiologist.

Uh, not true. The whole point of an antibiotic is that its action is separate from that of the bodies action, aka immune system. So if your immune system is shot or overwhelmed, an antibiotic can work in tandem to whatever extent and try to pick up the slack. The only "getting used to" done is by microbes, not the body.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Antibiotic resistant bacteria is the single greatest threat to mankind. Not scare mongering, it is fact. Carbepenem resistant enterobacteria is particularly troubling, especially for women. Why? Here's some figures for you. 40% of women will get a urinary tract infection in their lifetime, extremely common. About 80% of those are caused by E. coli. MRSA emerged in the 60's, and is now widespread. If carbepenem resistance follows a similar timeline, with the absence of new antibiotics, last line of defense for enterobacteria, we may see a significant population decline in 40 years. Shrug it off if you want to.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Antibiotic resistant bacteria is the single greatest threat to mankind. Not scare mongering, it is fact. Carbepenem resistant enterobacteria is particularly troubling, especially for women. Why? Here's some figures for you. 40% of women will get a urinary tract infection in their lifetime, extremely common. About 80% of those are caused by E. coli. MRSA emerged in the 60's, and is now widespread. If carbepenem resistance follows a similar timeline, with the absence of new antibiotics, last line of defense for enterobacteria, we may see a significant population decline in 40 years. Shrug it off if you want to.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I have many friends who have worked in, or had reason to spend large amounts of time in or around hospitals. Most of the superbugs comming up the chain these days are actually farmed within hospitals. I do not suggest, by so saying, that the laboratories and employees of such hospitals are placing one bug in a container with another, apply thier knowledge, and create these things deliberately. However, the circumstances which prevail over medical facilities are largely the same as prevail over everything else.

Despite the fact that hospitals are places of healing, places where the intent of thier very creation, is to be a place where mankind can learn how to heal its ills, save lives, they still need to be cleaned. Now, it is at this point that things fall apart. Because of the financial strictures applied to medical facilities, the responsibility for keeping them clean often falls to agencies, private contractor firms.

A neighbor of mine was visiting a friend of his in hosptital here in the UK. The ward LOOKED pretty clean, no dust bunnies under the beds, no obvious mould, no vomit on the floor. However, as he was about to leave after the visit, my friend noticed that the cleaner was wandering the ward, with one of those big trolleys with the built in bin, bucket, and cleaning material storage boxes on it. The bucket, into which the mop was being dipped, contained the blackest, filthiest water he had ever seen, water which he wouldnt even clean his driveway with!

Upon so seeing, he alerted the nursing staff to this. To her credit, the senior nurse went absolutely ballistic at the cleaner. In a hospital, cleaniness is several hundred times more important, than in any other mass useage building, because hospitals contain people who come into contact with, and /or are in a state of immunological weakness. Wether that is because they have just had a major surgery, or because they have a severe long term illness, or because they have come to the place presenting with some sort of serious virus or bacterial infection, the people who work in, and who need the services of such a place, need a clean environment if the best possible results can be attained from the treatment provided there.

But the place needs to be clean also, because hospitals are places where viruses and bugs are CONCENTRATED in one place. Therefore, inadequate cleaning can lead to unification of two nasty bugs, the sharing of DNA segments between two micro organisms, which can lead to the creation of these dangerous diseases. Because cleanliness is so important in this dangerous environment, one would have thought that it would be second only to surgical excellence in terms of funding, training, recruitment and so on. However, because the employment of hospital cleaning staff is often done by contractors, hospital administration do not have direct ability to hire and fire individuals employed by those contractors directly. Also, because the contracts which bind a company into service at a hospital cut both ways, it is hard for hospitals to have immediate control over the quality of service provided.

I believe that all hospital cleaning staff should be qualified and equipped to the same degree as those who clean crime scenes, people who could make it possible to eat off of every surface in a room without even a hint of risk, despite that room previously having had blood, urine, faeces, and vomit, covering the area. I believe they should be trained and educated in the way bacteria and viruses behave, and be knowledgeable enough, and well supported enough to take the time to clean every nook, cranny, gap, and crevice, and every surface, in every room in such a place, in such a way as to make every place in a hospital clean enough to do surgery in. However, very often they are NOT capable of that, either being under trained or under equipped.

Money is thrown at this problem all the time, usually ending up in some company directors pocket, rather than being spent on training and equipment. However, until improvements in service provision come about, the rise of the superbug will continue, and that bodes ill for all of those who use the services of hospitals.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

In order to counteract this stupid people's drug abuse, the doctors have no choice but to give 2nd degree antibiotics, which has more adverse side effects, from, hear loss to complete deafness or blurry eyes to blindness, and in some, it messes up the immune system.

Antibiotic is a potent drug, it should only be taken when there is a need for it... or you will pay a hefty $ and hefty part of your body.

I couldn't agree more. My wife and I are usually on the same page with all these things, especially with her history of medical issues. Yet, I've been home this week with the Flu and yesterday while bitching to no one in particular she very seriously said I should just get down to the Urgent Care and get some antibiotics to feel better. (
)

There are moments in life you just freeze in midstep because life must stop for a moment to insure you REALLY hear what you just THOUGHT you heard. That was just such a moment. She knows better than to suggest antibiotic for a viral illness. Absolutely knows better...yet the conditioning is so powerful as to have even HER suggesting the worst possible solution to a bout with a virus. It's a scary thing.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Sick people are profitable.

Sick people who are scared will bind themselves to the "healing hand" (sorry, hidden hand
) to save themselves at any cost.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Why actually have a healthy nation? It doesnt make numbers in specific bank accounts grow, and that is the sole goal. The issue I have, personally, is that the benefits do not make up for the cost. Even for those who are profiting from it.

I suspect that such a thing (superbugs) was not necessarily intentional, but is viewed as collateral damage in the act of profiting off of those who are sick. How do you profit off of those who *are not* sick? Well, just increase the percentages and variables that are giving them a healthy immune system. Feed them antibiotics and vaccines from every direction imaginable. It certainly helps those bank accounts grow..

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
There are a few misconceptions here and I'll try to clarify them:

1. I would rather call ebola a super-bug that a naturally evolved bacteria or virus;
2. Cattle in general are treated with antibiotics as a way to avoid diseases and thus increasing revenues. They became perfect incubators for antibiotics resistant strains;
3. Antibiotics can contaminate milk, so when you buy milk from non-organic diary farms you are taking a dose of antibiotics and then you became an incubator for antibiotics resistant strains;
4. People are abusing antibiotics and by that are also incubators for resistant strains, but it doesn't stop there, people tend to discontinue or relax the treatment when symptoms goes away and this is great for the bacteria to became drug resistant. Not only that, the body excretes part of any medication you take, this goes to water treatment and then to your tap water, so again you became an incubator;
5. People can purchase the same cleansers hospitals use and microorganisms also evolve to chemicals, this is why we see so many cases of hospital infections.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1

When people abuse antibiotics for simple things like cold, they making their body get used to it, thus when you are actually in need for antibiotics due to a lethal cold, the antibiotic wont be that effective.

-Microbiologist.

Uh, not true. The whole point of an antibiotic is that its action is separate from that of the bodies action, aka immune system. So if your immune system is shot or overwhelmed, an antibiotic can work in tandem to whatever extent and try to pick up the slack. The only "getting used to" done is by microbes, not the body.

Your normal body flora contains opportunistic pathogens. They are kept under the wraps by good body flora, when you take antibiotics you wipe out all of the good flora covering your intestine wall, this will give opportunistic pathogens to attach themselves to the wall and multiply. So in a sense you are making the bacteria in your body more resilient toward antibiotics.

It DOES effect the immune system, i mentioned repeated use of antibiotics for simple things, which would make antibiotics REPLACE immune system, not work in tandem(it does work in tandem but not in the respective of killing the bacteria), Beta lactam kills the bacteria. When Antibiotic is killing the bacteria your immune system just sitting there, NOT LEARNING how to kill the bacteria by itself. After repeated use of antibiotic, your immune system is like sending in a guy who has not fighting for years into a boxing ring.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Fimbulvetr

I noticed in the article how they kept saying that the superbug keeps adapting. I'm so glad to see that instead of them saying its evolving LOL.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsthetooth
reply to post by Fimbulvetr

I noticed in the article how they kept saying that the superbug keeps adapting. I'm so glad to see that instead of them saying its evolving LOL.

Adaptation will slowly leads to characteristic change and onto more things. Then again, i probably don't want this to turn to whole another debate. So i will stop with this.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OuttaHere
A big fat thank-you to factory farms and the widespread administration of prophylactic antibiotics to livestock.
This, more than any over-prescribing of antibiotics for humans, has led to the current catastrophe. The short-sighted, greedy, perversely evil mental midgets in the factory farm industry may have managed to finally destroy humanity.

I don't think we should be blaming the farming industry for this.

Farmers (factory industry or not) are victims to the same propaganda the rest of us have been fed.

We need to dig further back than that.

Blame big pharma... they've managed to convince the world that the regular use of antibiotics was a good thing. It's been nothing but a win-win for those SOB's.

And now that we have been plagued with "superbugs", all the more reason everyone will be doling out research and development funds screaming for newer, stronger antibiotics. These b'stards are going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

And around and around it'll keep going.

The dogmatic worship of corporate capitalism is going to eventually be the death of us all in one way, shape, or form.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

In order to counteract this stupid people's drug abuse, the doctors have no choice but to give 2nd degree antibiotics, which has more adverse side effects, from, hear loss to complete deafness or blurry eyes to blindness, and in some, it messes up the immune system.

Antibiotic is a potent drug, it should only be taken when there is a need for it... or you will pay a hefty $ and hefty part of your body.

I couldn't agree more. My wife and I are usually on the same page with all these things, especially with her history of medical issues. Yet, I've been home this week with the Flu and yesterday while bitching to no one in particular she very seriously said I should just get down to the Urgent Care and get some antibiotics to feel better. (
)

There are moments in life you just freeze in midstep because life must stop for a moment to insure you REALLY hear what you just THOUGHT you heard. That was just such a moment. She knows better than to suggest antibiotic for a viral illness. Absolutely knows better...yet the conditioning is so powerful as to have even HER suggesting the worst possible solution to a bout with a virus. It's a scary thing.

Don't be too hard on her, she is only wanting to keep you around for a long time.
That can make a smart person throw logic out the window.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
When hospitals neglect to pay their janitors a living wage this is what happens. Does anyone really think the janitor making 8 bucks an hour will try and do their best to keep their job? They will cut corners and do sloppy work because they have no pride in their work and no rewards to seek.

The abuse of antibiotics also takes part of the blame. Ironically, penicillin may lead to an extinction event if we can't manage to fix this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join