It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who calls the Government ''the G''?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This is something I have not heard before until speaking with a guy who says he used to be in the Navy.

So....

1. Is there any ''used to be'' in the Navy, or is it lifelong?
2. Is this ''G'' reference related to Masonry?
3. Is ''the G'' some phrase that conspiracy theorists is general use? I've never heard it before now.
4. Am I wrong in assuming that ''the G'' is the United States Government? It seemed to be, in context of the conversation about conspiracy type things.

Maybe this is a code word?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
If it helps...

G-Man (short for Government Man) is a slang term for Special agents of the United States Government. It is specifically used as a term for a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent.
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, its first known use in America was in 1928.

link

So the use of the letter "G" alone by itself to stand for "Government" is long standing.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by XXX777

Nixon's aides used to refer to him as "the P", and maybe the same was true about other Presidents.
It would be the kind of jargon used by people who want to feel "in".

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Of course I've heard of G-men who are FBI agents.
I've just never heard anybody use the G as a reference to the Government in general. Never. It really stuck out in conversation.
I thought maybe it was some Navy Intelligence agent code or something. Maybe the guy was trying to establish a connection of sorts.

Or it could just be his way of sounding like he is in on something.

Pretty odd, no matter what, and very creative I would say, because I have never heard anybody use ''the G'' in such a casual way as if it were totally normal and accepted. Have YOU ever heard anybody do it? It was odd.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Do military people call the Government the G?
Maybe it is normal for military people.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by XXX777

Usually the 'G' is reference to FBI agents as far as I'm aware.

G-Man wiki

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I'm just fielding a guess here, but I think an appropriate and insightful one. Text messaging and media have given way to an entire culture of abbreviations and txtspk communications. I'd imagine that this person was just used to some chat room or 'net site where "the G" was common parlance.

And to think it all started so innocently with "LOL"...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Sure. Everything you say is credible. But this is 2013. It took this long? Is ''the G'' going to be the next hot abbreviation?

I'm not hidden away in a cocoon. I know street slang. I listen to rap. I know the words the youth use. This guy was using this like it was some totally accepted form that had been around for years and years. It made me think of William Cooper Naval Intelligence type scenarios. I can't see the regular military soldiers using this phrase. Otherwise we'd all know about it. It would be in movies, television shows, pop culture, music, etc. It really did stick out like a sore thumb in the conversation.

edit on 6-3-2013 by XXX777 because: cacoon

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I have been in the military for over 12 years.

I have never heard or seen anyone refer to the government as the "G".

I do and see others use the abbreviation "Govt." or "The Feds", but never just "G" or "The G"

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Yes. Thank you. It is weird.

I'm wondering if it is some deep underground stuff. Maybe he was testing me.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The state of our governments finances was like a G-string. Now the G-string is completely gone and so is all the hair. Everything will be completely exposed within a year.

edit on 6-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
my husband (long time navy) does it..he calls certain cars Gcars--or the Gman--it must be a military thing???

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I've heard G-Man' since I was a kid and watching reruns of old 60's and 70's movies. I've only heard it said as "G" or "The G" by the 'Gangsta' culture and street slang/language.

It is amazing how the gutter English of the street works it's way into regular language on some things.
edit on 6-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

G = God

new topics

top topics

join