It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning photos of Tardigrades!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
it looks like the ''brain bug'' from starship troopers.

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=rpU3UeLMAc atqwGWjYCQCw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=574#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=lCL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=starship+troopers+brain+b ug&oq=starship+troopers+brain+bug&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l2.59412.61356.2.61610.6.6.0.0.0.0.198.1109.0j6.6.0...0.0...1c.1.5.img.y4vG8So89uc&bav=on.2,or.r_g c.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.aWM&fp=180d029a7555f7e&biw=1280&bih=574

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

So real life is like Xenoblade chronicles for Wii ?

Interesting.

Nice pic though. I was surprised at the detail.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust

Looks like a SF creature with a sort of space suit...

Thanks for another great thread mate and these tardigrades truly are amazing creatures (and look pretty funky too)!

Here's another good link with more info and pics -it also looks like they've been celebrated in the art world as well.

Nature's Great Survivors: Water Bears

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0d545afacaf.jpg[/atsimg]

The amazing thing about these tiny, 1mm creatures is just how resilient they are to about everything. You can put them in space, in hot sea vents, and freeze them - no matter what you do, they'll survive.

You see, Tardigrades can survive in:

Extreme cold (at -272 degrees Celsius for a couple of minutes, or at -200 degrees Celsius for days on end)

Extreme heat (being heated to 181 degrees Celsius for a couple of minutes)

Extreme radiation (easily surviving 5,700 grays of radiation. A gray is about as much radiation as 5,000 chest x-rays. 10-20 grays can easily kill a human and most animals.)

Extreme dehydration (A tardigrade can survive for a decade with no water)

In a vacuum - Yes, a water bear can survive in space!

link

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Spectacular find on account of the detailed photos, considering the size of these little buggers i can definitely say dynamite comes in small packages.

Good things

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
There must be heaps of them knocking about Mars...how powerful is that microscope on Curiousity?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
OK guys... jokes over, you can stop acting like these things are real now...

How come I've never seen one - 1mm is visible with naked eye.. you wouldnt be able to make out the features, but you could tell it wasnt an other kinda bug/fly

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Fantastic photos,
S&F 4U OP

Love stuff like this.
Always makes me wonder if some gigantic alien species has a few humans under their microscope marvelling at us and our tiny wierdness

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
And of course here is the obligatory wikipedia page link for these little guys (wouldn't want to meet a full-grown one in a dark alley)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The text is right, if anything on earth is an alien, that thing would be it.
It has no face, just a camera mounted in the front of its head. And that's the only creature besides spiders that I've seen have eight legs.
So weird and fascinating!
The textures on its body and surroundings at such a small size are eerie, too. It's almost like a CGI picture.

edit on 6-3-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Not sure if this sucker fits better in Half-Life, Doom or Resident Evil. Imagine that thing the size of a car.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

looks computer animated to me now as it did when these first came out ^^

the thing i dont get is how they cast light on certain parts like spot light , isnt this under high powered microscope how do they cast the light like that with out lighting up the whole shot? weird and or with out burning the crap of everything underneath lol.... all my slides always dried out from the damn lights under our microscopes heh

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cartesia

I've seen them. They're real. Get a cheap microscope and a sample of ditch water and you can check the little critters out.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I wonder how many I've eaten??

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottaknow
I wonder how many I've eaten??

LOL it was also one of the first things I thought! Good discovery UP!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

How was this done? Scanning electron microscope? Fantastic.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I think its been on XBOXLive and got itself some Call of Duty DLC, ie the Gatling gun

Weird looking beggar but a miracle of evolution, truly from the stars I'd say..

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Lol tard.

I read tard.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Why do we need yet another thread with the exact same image? Why do we need so many threads on them? There's been shed loads. The image in the OP is not new to science or ATS. I've got a magazine from when I was a child with electron microscopic images like these.

These are amazing creatures I agree. And they are ones that I have no doubt received and continue to receive extensive reasearch by the elites. There are so many things that the elites want from these creatures. I could be wrong but I also believe descicated ones can be brought back to life easily and there is at least one case claiming revival after 120 years though the veracity of that claim is now disputed but at the time it most certainly wasn't and was big news.

Threads with same images

www.abovetopsecret.com... exact same image in this thread from

www.abovetopsecret.com... exact same image again.

Source photo from 2011 exactly the same www.bbc.co.uk...

One search brings up loads of threads on these creatures.

Maybe I'm just in a grumpy mood but I was under the impression that it was the done thing to first do a search before posting more threads with the same material and even the exact same images as previous threads.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkins

Why do we need yet another thread with the exact same image? Why do we need so many threads on them? There's been shed loads. The image in the OP is not new to science or ATS. I've got a magazine from when I was a child with electron microscopic images like these.

These are amazing creatures I agree. And they are ones that I have no doubt received and continue to receive extensive reasearch by the elites. There are so many things that the elites want from these creatures. I could be wrong but I also believe descicated ones can be brought back to life easily and there is at least one case claiming revival after 120 years though the veracity of that claim is now disputed but at the time it most certainly wasn't and was big news.

Threads with same images

Maybe I'm just in a grumpy mood but I was under the impression that it was the done thing to first do a search before posting more threads with the same material and even the exact same images as previous threads.

I can understand what you're saying about multiple threads but had I not clicked on this I wouldn't have known about these little creatures. So it has it's benefits.

Had you posted the same comment on Sunday my reply would be different. I'm always grumpy on Sundays!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE

Originally posted by merkins

Threads with same images

I can understand what you're saying about multiple threads but had I not clicked on this I wouldn't have known about these little creatures. So it has it's benefits.

Had you posted the same comment on Sunday my reply would be different. I'm always grumpy on Sundays!

Ditto, if I hadn't clicked on this particular post I wouldn't have found out about these weird and wonderful things!
Fascinating!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join