It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of technology would you like to see in the future?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I'd like to see the old phones come back, you know, the ones that you can use for a whole lifetime and they never need batteries. The ones where the sound is clear and you can tell by the voice immediately who is calling. So you had to dial, it keeps the mind sharp.

But but...my apps....

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Soemthing cheap that makes clean water from sewage, clean air from bad air.

We already have something that filters out the clean water from the junk. It's pretty neat - very simply tech and I don't think it uses batteries. You can find it on amazon. I was trying to search for it but found something similar to it but couldn't hyperlink it. No idea why.
edit on 6-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

I'd like to see the old phones come back, you know, the ones that you can use for a whole lifetime and they never need batteries. The ones where the sound is clear and you can tell by the voice immediately who is calling. So you had to dial, it keeps the mind sharp.

But but...my apps....

Here is something to guard your perception of apps. The electromagnetic field given off of these old phones may have had more effect on brain chemistry than some of the newer phones because the speaker had a bigger magnet. This really only causes a temporary change and messes up brainwaves for maybe ten minutes afterwards. People who always had the phone stuck to their ear could have had longterm negative health effects though because messing up the brain can cause certain biological abnormalities to occur. Moderation is the clue, even new phones say to keep the phone a quarter inch from the head. As if that is possible, they are so small.
I live without apps, I don't miss what I never had.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67

But but...my apps....

Here is something to guard your perception of apps. The electromagnetic field given off of these old phones may have had more effect on brain chemistry than some of the newer phones because the speaker had a bigger magnet. This really only causes a temporary change and messes up brainwaves for maybe ten minutes afterwards. People who always had the phone stuck to their ear could have had longterm negative health effects though because messing up the brain can cause certain biological abnormalities to occur. Moderation is the clue, even new phones say to keep the phone a quarter inch from the head. As if that is possible, they are so small.
I live without apps, I don't miss what I never had.

I'm kind of an app addict.
How old are we talking anyways with these phones? Because I remember seeing the first phones and how much radioactivity emitted from those things and caused people to get cancer. Nowadays, the radioactivity is much much lower that it's nothing to worry about. Even so, my iPhone 4S releases more radioactivity than I had thought. It's actually one of the worst modern smartphones.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

The phones from the fifties and sixties aren't radioactive. I'm talking of old landline phones with a cord here. The bag phones I had in the eighties for my trucks had antennas on the roof, they weren't a big problem. It is not really the radiation, it is the moving ions that give the problem. My brother and I used an ion meter to test a lot of things around the house. It was interesting to see what was happening. Lots of Ions out of a microwave oven, they spread out all over the kitchen.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
- Flying cars
- a pill that keeps you at peak physical condition
- 100% reliable lie detector
- a super healthy bacon-like product that's indistinguishable from the real bacon
- the 3 sea shells
- personal force fields
- really fast interstellar travel
- universal translator

...oh, and affordable solar panels

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
- Flying cars
- a pill that keeps you at peak physical condition
- 100% reliable lie detector
- a super healthy bacon-like product that's indistinguishable from the real bacon
- the 3 sea shells
- personal force fields
- really fast interstellar travel
- universal translator

...oh, and affordable solar panels

Perhaps we won't need solar panels. Or maybe at some point in time, solar panels will be for middle class people while the rich get the latest and greatest. Whatever that'll be.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

The phones from the fifties and sixties aren't radioactive. I'm talking of old landline phones with a cord here. The bag phones I had in the eighties for my trucks had antennas on the roof, they weren't a big problem. It is not really the radiation, it is the moving ions that give the problem. My brother and I used an ion meter to test a lot of things around the house. It was interesting to see what was happening. Lots of Ions out of a microwave oven, they spread out all over the kitchen.

I got ya. What are some other effects of ions that you know of?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The evidence on that is pretty sketchy, I don't know which side to believe on that subject. You have businesses on one side and conservative scientists on the other. I know that overall the effect is negative but to pin a specific problem on it is hard. All energy sources have an effect on the brain. The brain acclimates after a while and the absence of the signal then creates a problem. If someone loses their phone, they sort of go through DTs because they were used to it's presence and by losing the energy source the brain has to re-acclimate. When the power goes out in cities, the people do things they would never have done if it hadn't. Good citizens sometimes become irrational.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Personal teleportation devices for the win!

Reduce travel times across the city, state, country or world to seconds...no fossil fuel usage, no gasoline tax, no traffic jams, No TSA, and no automobile insurance...

Anywhere you want to go in the push of a button...I like that plan!

I know...pipe dream...but you asked!
edit on 3/6/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Junkheap
I'd like a video recorder that can record and playback my dreams.

Also, a human-cat cat-human translator.

I am soo with you on the dream machine. I have the most weird dreams and would love to record them. And i want a dog to human to dog translator. I hate when they just look at me and whine. WHAT DO YOU WANT???!!!!

OH and a holodeck. that i can scan my romance novels into and become the heroin. I would never leave! AND I could try on cloths before I even go to the store to buy them! That would be awsome. No more on and off over the head, just zapp and they are on my body. No hot dressing rooms with peepers. Having to pee right in the middle of trying on pants. No one to hear you cuss cause it dosent fit/look right. And it saves gas from having to drive to every store. You can pick a store, choose thier cloths and try on virtually at home. Then order and it comes to your door. I WISH!
edit on 6-3-2013 by tluna1 because: ADDED devis

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
To discover that Tesla was right about this ether thing...

Free, non-polluting, self-sustaining energy for the entire planet.

That would be quite the game changer, wouldn't it ?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Recent discoveries made by the LHC at Cern, have suggested that the Higgs boson may be a reality. This particular maguffin, is supposed to impart mass on other particles.

Therefore, my desired invention, would be a Higgs field manipulator device, capable of increasing, or decreasing, the mass in a given region of space (I use the word space, but of course such a thing would likely have various applications for the haulage industry among others) thereby creating a device which could potentially be used to warp space, because as we know dense concentrations of mass can create gravity wells. If that proved to be possible, then we would have the makings of the warp drive, much appreciated by trekkies.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I want to see consciousness interfacing, person to person, internet can be all inside your mind, can access all digital info with thought. All perspectives and knowledge can be instantly downloaded like how Neo learns Kung Fu in the Matrix

Redo the grid with wireless power transfers, super efficient solar so everyone is off the grid, cheap renewables, no more gasoline or natural gas ....all electric.

All diseases cured, consciousness transfers to new bodies, 200-300 year life spans.

Anti-Gravity tech w driverless vehicles, wormhole travel, human teleportation.

Fuzion tech decentralized, so each state/city area has their own micor-plant
edit on 6-3-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Yep, thinking in the same direction. Solar- and windmill energy. Someday, even free energy!
And also taxis that don't need human drivers (especially here in South Africa)!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I envision a sort of backpack, and inside is an engine which powers jets at the bottom. One wearing this "Backjet",
as I call it, would be enabled to hover and fly at will. Backjetters will wear special pants with fireproof butts.

Aiming low though, it is certainly within reason that Energy could be available wirelessly in the air, as well as a wireless World Wide Web, available everywhere for free.
edit on 6-3-2013 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecapsretuo
I envision a sort of backpack, and inside is an engine which powers jets at the bottom. One wearing this "Backjet",
as I call it, would be enabled to hover and fly at will. Backjetters will wear special pants with fireproof butts.

Aiming low though, it is certainly within reason that Energy could be available wirelessly in the air, as well as a wireless World Wide Web, available everywhere for free.
edit on 6-3-2013 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

I was watching the science channel and one of the scientists said that there's clothing that could actually power your cell phone through movement. How epic would that be?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysWonder
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Yep, thinking in the same direction. Solar- and windmill energy. Someday, even free energy!
And also taxis that don't need human drivers (especially here in South Africa)!!!

The problem I have with self-driving vehicles is what if someone hacked it and made it drive into a wall? Or caused an accident. Or both. You'd probably need antivirus and a firewall in your car, and updates. "Hold on honey. Can't drive yet. The car needs to update." The signals would have to be heavily encrypted I think. Because it would rely on satellites to know where it is. I think that same thing could be used to control the vehicle. Other than that, it would be some tool tech.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
In near future I want virtual reality, mature 3d printing, genetic/tissue engineering and cheap reusable rocket planes. I think these advances are realistic in coming decades.

Ultimaltely, I want to see mind uploading. It is probably the most disruptive technology ever imagined, providing immortality, travel at the speed of light and modulation of time perception all in one package.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
In near future I want virtual reality, mature 3d printing, genetic/tissue engineering and cheap reusable rocket planes. I think these advances are realistic in coming decades.

Ultimaltely, I want to see mind uploading. It is probably the most disruptive technology ever imagined, providing immortality, travel at the speed of light and modulation of time perception all in one package.

Mind uploading. That would be cool, but would it be encrypted? If not, anyone would be able to see what's in your mind.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join