Are drone strikes really "drone strikes"

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hello ATS. Lets get this going.
My father recently came into town and after a few drinks he started discussing his work.
Normally he says something like, "I can't tell you anything more than that."
I understand classified material and his need for secrecy, so I accept that. But then we have a few drinks and he tells me to bring up some YouTube videos of drone strikes.
He's sitting there next to me saying "yep" and "mmhmm"
I'm just watching, in disgust, because that's the kind of person I am, and he finally tells me that those were not in fact unmanned drones, but manned planes that are made to look like civilian jets. He tells me what aircraft they are (which I will not disclose, and if you can't figure out why, then hit yourself in the head with a hammer until you get it)

The point I'm getting to is...
Could he be right? I hear about endless accounts of drone strikes on ATS.

What I'm wondering is:
Could all of them be true?
Could the government be using them as scapegoats instead of manned patrols?
And, if so, what is the reasoning for not just telling the truth?

To the last question, derrrr. We all know TPTB will always lie when the truth is just as plausible.

To summarize, I don't believe my dad is lying to me. And, given my current trust of the government, I'm always inclined to believe a lie on their part.
Just looking for feedback.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by rockintitz

what is the youtube video you are referring to

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Multiple YouTube vids. Seriously, just search drone strike and you'll come up with a plethora of videos.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Well if u wont direct people where to look I am not gonna sit here for hours watching youtube videos going threw hundreds of drone videos to try to get a feel for what you are talking about

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Ok, as I said, this encompasses all drone strikes. But go ahead and keep being a "freedom slave"

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Either you haven't read the OP properly or you don't know what a drone strike is.
You do not need to watch any videos to understand the OP is asking.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

why not tell us EXACT;TY which y-tube vid your father watched to " confirm " his claim

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior

Either you haven't read the OP properly or you don't know what a drone strike is.
You do not need to watch any videos to understand the OP is asking.

No I do understand fully what the op is saying , however when the Iranians gained control of the drone and landed it , there was was no mention of someone inside flying it it was all done by remote control . Also with what has been been blown open with drone attacks the Americans are getting condemned from countries around the world for using
un manned vehicles to invade countries air space and running attacks . why would the American government want to sit there and look like bigger fools over un manned drones when it was a simple no they where fighter jets .

Either way they are invading sovereign countries air space and that is an act of way .. Go buy an ultra light and fly over the white house lol see what happens or any military base
edit on 6/3/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Handful of thoughts ...

- If a drone is designed to look like a civilian plane with a person in it ... it is not a drone. It's a civilian plane with a camera and weapons attached
- Videos of these attacks would allow these civilian planes to be identified by witnesses ...
- It's not the first time disinformation has been used in war to make a nation look better ... Like the first Iraq war we were told 'smart weapons' were being deployed that were safer and easier to target when less than 10% of bombs dropped were actually 'smart' ... the rest were the usual type!

In some ways, yes it wouldn't surprise me, though I'm not sure firing a hellfire missile from a civilian plane would be subtle at all, so in other ways it would surprise me. Maybe in some limited circumstances drones dressed to look civilian or civilian planes with weapons attached are used to attack or spy ... in fact it's very likely ...

I'm pretty certain this wouldn't be the norm though? Without at least specific videos to investigate and a civilian plane spec to compare it to it is impossible to say.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well I don't see why it is impossible, but I think a better "why" to ask would be "why do this?"

The vast majority of US drone strikes occur in the Middle East and Near East portions of Asia. Now it would make sense to use a modified civil aviation aircraft for military operations in a crowded airspace such as over an industrialized western nation, but not over the areas where the majority of drone strikes occur.

Now we know the US government has drones (as do many other nations) why then also go through the trouble of creating a second set of manned and armed civil aviation planes to do the same job when it is perfectly easy, and cheaper to use the drones we already know they have? On top of this using the using the manned planes negates the advantages of actual drones such as long loiter time, small size and in the case of the 3rd generation models (like the new Avenger) low observability. These are all things that make the drone strike program operationally superior to the use of civilian planes or even for that matter traditional manned combat aircraft.

Now that is not to say that civil aviation planes wouldn't be preferable in a domestic setting or overseas for the US over crowded airspace. After all an airliner full of people seeing a Predator out of the window are going to get concerned while seeing a Gulfstream will just think it normal, however there is also the problem of where to store the munitions on small aircraft as well. On top of this it would all have to be kept very secret, front companies would be needed, with dedicated high-security hangers and to avoid suspicion it would have to be done out of civilian airports. I know quite a few civilian pilots and they love to talk to each other, meet the other flyers at their field and such. If all of a sudden there was an "off limits" ramp or hanger and a bunch of secretive types flying from their home field, they would be flooding boards talking about it.

In essence it's not at all impossible OP, but it would be a huge headache when it would actually just be easier to use real drones for the strikes.

new topics

top topics

join