U.N.'s Drone Inquisitor: CIA Torture Was an 'International Conspiracy of Crime'

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

U.N.'s Drone Inquisitor: CIA Torture Was an 'International Conspiracy of Crime'

www.wired.com

As his inquiry into U.S. drone strikes gets underway, the United Nations special rapporteur for counterterrorism and human rights has stepped up his rhetoric against the agency he’ll inevitably investigate. The CIA’s torture program was at the center of an “international conspiracy of crime,” he told a U.N. panel on Tuesday.

The CIA’s torture in the last decade is unrelated from its current drone campaign. But Ben Emmerson, the U.N. rapporteur, will still need access to the drones from a CIA he portrayed on Tuesday morning as something similar to a Bond villain. In an interview wi
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The article also mentions the fact that the GOP have been stalling on John Brennan's Confirmation hearings because he seems to want to play ball with Emmerson.

That's a very interesting turn of events. Now normally I'm the first person to tell you that the UN is entirely worthless as an organization when it comes to enforcing treaties, but in this case, it could do some good.

At least bring to light and FORCE a response from those in charge of this mass murder campaigns against innocent civilians.

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

www.wired.com
U.N. investigator urges U.S. to pursue Bush-era abuses
edit on 3/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

The article also mentions the fact that the GOP have been stalling on John Brennan's Confirmation hearings because he seems to want to play ball with Emmerson.

That's a very interesting turn of events. Now normally I'm the first person to tell you that the UN is entirely worthless as an organization when it comes to enforcing treaties, but in this case, it could do some good.

At least bring to light and FORCE a response from those in charge of this mass murder campaigns against innocent civilians.

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

www.wired.com

When I read your first post of this thread, I was just thinking the U.N. are a pile of nonsense and certainly won't stand up to any organization of the U.S, especially the C.I.A.

I appreciate your optimism mate but don't be surprised if this turns out to be another nothing of a situation.
edit on 5-3-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Oh trust me I'm at optimism level 1 out of a 100 to be honest. I don't really expect anything to happen, but I do think it will be a good discussion driver.

Although Americans are notorious for ignoring anything not happening within their own borders, so maybe not.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Although Americans are notorious for ignoring anything not happening within their own borders, so maybe not.

~Tenth

Although Americans are notorious for ignoring anything not happening within their own borders, unless they can steal oil.

There, I fixed it for you.
I agree about the UN being worthless, but I am glad it is being addressed.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Hope you dont mind if i link this reuters article that was published on monday.

UN investigator urges US to pursue bush-era abuses

I tried to bring this to light in thread that didnt get much attention, maybe people will see it here as i feel this is not only important but good news.
Maybe there is some accountabilty and justice left in this world, unfortunately the people in position to dispence it are not cooperating.

Under Obama, Attorney General Eric Holder said that the Department of Justice would not prosecute any official who acted in good faith and within the scope of legal guidance given by its Office of Legal Counsel in the Bush era on interrogation.

Perhaps with Brennens appointment things will change?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

It seems the way of the Obama admin is to silence or move those who aren't playing ball. Eric Holder himself should be removed from his office and brought to court for being complicit in torture.

Gonna ad your thread to my OP for further reading

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Very gracious of you and much appreciated, the more people know about this stuff the more likely something may get done about. Ill take slim chance over none anyday.

On that note "bump"

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Came across another article today i felt should be here but i have to say i am confused....
Posted on CNN by Ashley Killough
Rand Paul's 13 hour filibuster

Sen. Rand Paul ended his day-long filibuster at 12:38 a.m. Thursday, almost 13 hours after he began speaking. The Kentucky Republican tried to stall a confirmation vote on CIA Director nominee John Brennan.

Ok so....if Brennen is supposed to be working with Emmerson to bring light to illegal drone use over seas, why is Rand standing in the way of his appointment over the same issue, is it just to make a point?

Granted use of drones over seas does not involve the neglect of US citizens rights( not here to debate the hypocracy of that).

new topics

join