It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full Circle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Staring at her captor in defiance, Star pulls at a lock of her hair. What right did he have to lock her away like this? She was already planning on how she would escape. Bitter and angry about the whole situation, she looks over her shoulder to see where he’s at, searching with her hand for the knife that she has strapped to her inner thigh. If he had been part of her clan, he would have known by her body markings that she was a skilled warrior, he would have known by the eloquent lines of smoke permanently inked upon her flesh that she was a deadly assassin as well. If he had known any of that, he might have had a chance to survive.

Her eyes screamed their hatred as she waited for the right time, still keeping her hand on the knife she follows his every move around the cave. When he is stationed with his back towards her, she makes her move. Silent but swift, she closes the distance between herself and the man, coming up behind him with the knife drawn, ready to pierce his flesh. She shoves the knife quickly into his abdomen, pushing it deeper and deeper until she finally feels it hit the meat of the kidney.

He didn’t even have time to scream before he fell to the ground unconscious. She pulls his body to an upright sitting position and smiles satisfactorily at her handy work, wiping her knife off on his shirt as she does so. Once satisfied that the man is going to die, she walks outside to view her surroundings. As she looks around the area, her eyes grow wide with horror and fear, recognizing it instantly.

She was deep in the heart of the sanctified woods. These were the only lands her people never ventured to, and now she was smack dab in the center of them. They were known to be haunted; memories of the past taking form every now and then, screaming with rage at every traveler that entered the area. Many times, the trees would wail a warning to anyone who got too close, hurry, leave before it’s too late, the wind dancing through their limbs giving a voice to an otherwise silent presence in the woods. But most of the time, their message would go unheeded. Screams of terror would fill the night air and you would know when you heard them, that the living had been consumed by the dead.

Star walks back into the cave, trying to think of any possible way she could make it out alive. She hears a moan from the corner, realizes that the man is not quite dead yet and that is when she gets the idea. Ripping a portion of his shirt off, the man lets out a small cry of agony as she stuffs the cloth deep into the wound, hoping to slow down the bleeding for a bit. But he was so weak, she was afraid he would pass at any moment. That would never do though, as her only way out of the area would be for him to come with her, and if those wailing spirits wanted to take someone’s life, it would be his that she would offer up. Hopefully that would give her enough time to get out of the woods.

The night engulfed her as soon as she walked out of the cave, whispering evil things in her ear with each step she took. You should kill him, yes kill him. He is dragging you down…..you would move faster if you were alone. Stab him in his heart, Star; he’s too heavy for you to drag much farther… Trying to ignore the taunts of the darkness, Star keeps moving forward, although the voices were right, he was too heavy for her to drag much longer, she wasn’t going to give up on her only chance at survival.

She estimated that she had gone about five miles dragging the man beside her when she started to hear the warnings from the trees. Hurry, their coming, you must hurry…..They are close, you must run…..The words didn’t really matter, though. There was no way Star could run and no way that she would make it to safety if she did. She kept trudging forward, the voices still offering her little pieces of advice as she slowly carried on. The warnings of the trees whispering in one ear and the evil thoughts of the night whispering in the other brought her so much internal conflict that she had to stop every few moments to think things through.

You’re never going to make it; you might as well end it now….They’re going to get you! You need to run….. Her legs felt a little heavier every time she took a step, slowly making her way through the thick woods. It felt as though hands were grabbing at her ankles as she fought her way forward, each step harder than the last. She hadn’t really been paying attention to the man she dragged with her, she knew he was still alive though, because every once and awhile she would hear a soft moan come from his lips.

Wondering how much farther she had to go, she breathed a sigh of relief as she saw the idle that marked the way out of the woods. She estimated that it would take her an hour or so to reach it at her current snail like pace. Several times she tried to speed up, but the weight of the man and the constant barrage of voices in her head had made her both mentally and physically exhausted. If she hadn’t of seen the marker, she probably would have given up by now, but it gave her the courage and strength to keep moving forward.

Star shook her head to get rid of the voices; they never really went away though, they just became softer, their words almost unintelligible at times, but even a few moments of whispers was better than the constant yelling in her ear. When she got close enough to the marker, they became louder, more demanding, she could feel the evil emanating from the air around her, when she took a breath, she could taste the death and decay in her mouth. She knew the spirits were closing in, although she never once turned back to look.

As she took her final step towards safe ground, they grabbed at her, clawing and scratching at her body as they did. Blood oozing from the wounds that seemed to magically appear all over her skin, she let a small cry of triumph slip from her lips as she stepped past the idle, to the safety of the path, pulling the man with her all the way.

She allowed herself a few moments of relief; then dropped the man onto the ground and turned to look at her pursuers. They yelled and cursed at her from behind the marker, infuriated that their victim had escaped. A huge blur of faces and bodies meshed together into one obscure form, there was only one ghostly figure that remained separate from the rest. He stood tall between her and the angry mob, looking calm and peaceful, an aura of white light surrounding his frame.

It took a few moments for Star to realize who he was; she looked down at the man who she had been dragging beside her, his eyes were silent and empty of life. The man who had once been her captor was the man had who had just saved her life. His ghostly form stood in the path of her pursuers, denying them access to the land beyond the marker. Every time they got too close, you would hear a cry of anguish and frustration, as his life force pushed them back to where they belonged. Eventually, they receded into the woods, screaming obscenities and evil as they did. When it was over, the man turned and smiled at Star, his ghostly form slowly fading away until he was gone.

(Continued next post)

edit on 5-3-2013 by blend57 because: content

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
She grabs his lifeless hand and starts to drag him once more, finding a hallow spot to place his body in. She recites the prayers of her ancestors above the grave, and taking her knife from its sheath, she carves the markings of the warrior onto his arm, than covers his body with earth.

After a short rest, she starts to make her way home, it would take her several days to get back and she was excited at the prospect of seeing her family again. It wasn’t until she rounded the bend that she noticed it, the marker in the distance, the taste of death and decay on her tongue. She drops to her knees and screams of terror filled the night air, the kind that you hear when the living is consumed by the dead.

Blend57

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Wow I was drawn into the story right away and you held my attention the whole way through. I was on the edge of my seat. Well done Sir, well done!!

Now I want to know if you are a published author and if not, why not??????

edit on 5-3-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it. No, I am not published and it is really nice of you to say that.

I don’t think I would care to be published either. I write just for fun, it is a favorite past time of mine. The only people who see these are the folks here at ATS.

Thanks again for your kind words, I really do appreciate them.

Blend57

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I used to write as a hobby. My posting name is actually the name of a dragon in one of my stories.

Having read a couple of your things, I can see you are very talented and hey, you could make some money at it. Just sayin'.
In any case, keep up the good work and send a U2U when you write another story. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Very nice story friend!
Like night star said, it captures you in the beginning. Very nice indeed!

Thanks for sharing your past time with us. I have read another story of yours..or more maybe...not sure.

They are truly good short stories and I enjoy reading them!

Peace and love
-nat the cat-

new topics

join