It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Station teacher under investigation for chalkboard message

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Lake Station teac/her under investigation for chalkboard message

www.myfoxchicago.com

A northwest Indiana teacher is under investigation for a message he wrote on the chalkboard for his Lake Station class. It's a statement involving an insult and mentions "loaded guns."

Lake Station police have been administrators at Edison Junior-Senior High School to let them know no one is in danger.

The teacher has apparently been dismissed, and administrators said he will not return until the investigation is over.

A high school business teacher wrote this message on a chalkboard after his sixth period class and walked out:

"Period 6 (only)

A.) You are idiots!!!!!!!!

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-3-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/5/2013 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think this teacher should be punished if not fired. what is wrong with people these days? you would think an educated man especially a teacher would know this kind of behavior is unacceptable. i can't believe people are sticking up for this guy, metaphor or not he wrote the message and then walked out of the room not explaining the meaning behind his message. perhaps he was fed up and at the breaking point, that still does not excuse his actions.

[url=http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/21458560/lake-station-indiana-teacher-under-investigation-for-chalkboard-message-edison]www.myfoxchicago.com[/u rl]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5-3-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
He obviously said what he thought and the "you are idiots" bit was probably 90 or higher percent accurate imo.

Writing "loaded guns" on a chalkboard never killed anyone either.

No big deal here

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
He obviously said what he thought and the "you are idiots" bit was probably 90 or higher percent accurate imo.

Writing "loaded guns" on a chalkboard never killed anyone either.

No big deal here

no big deal? i dare you to write that on the bathroom at your work with your signature and see what happens.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The teacher probably puts up with threats from the students every day. The school won't care to address that issue if it exists.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
The teacher probably puts up with threats from the students every day. The school won't care to address that issue if it exists.

if a student made that threat he would have been arrested!!! that kind of threat is not taken lightly.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut

Originally posted by roadgravel

if a student made that threat he would have been arrested!!! that kind of threat is not taken lightly.

Other threats and anti-social behavior...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
care to elaborate?

he wrote. "the guns are loaded, care to try me"?? what if a student did try him? what was he gonna do pull out a gun? that would be ok w u? i don't know about you but if a teacher threatened my son like that i would have a major problem with that teacher.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

"I think the teacher needs to be not in that school no more," says another Lake Station parent, Regina Hobbs.

While I agree with her that during the investigation he should not be allowed into the school, she should be forced to take some English classes herself. Just reading that sentence hurts my head!

I am guessing that the class just took him over the edge. Hopefully they will come up with something in the investigation.

JT

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
i noticed that as well. lol well at least that parent cared enough to show up and voice her opinion.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I don't think he was talking about literal guns, just that he was prepared for them to act up. If he has been a teacher that many years hes probably warn out from teaching and the students in that class take advantage of it, and he was letting them know that he wasn't going to put up with it any longer. It was a very poor choice of words to use, and he should have known better, but sometimes we all get so frustrated we don't think about the consequences of our actions.
edit on 5-3-2013 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
starred and thanks for replying. i agree to disagree, as a responsible adult he should have known better. writing something like that and walking away without explaining that it was a metaphor was not a very smart idea. if the kids really are troublemakers he walked right into their trap and will now have to pay for it.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

care to elaborate?

he wrote. "the guns are loaded, care to try me"?? what if a student did try him? what was he gonna do pull out a gun? that would be ok w u? i don't know about you but if a teacher threatened my son like that i would have a major problem with that teacher.

What would you do? Walk into the school with "guns loaded"??

They walked out of his class like rebels......Ahh nevermind, you won't answer honestly anways....

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
That was actually quite restrained of the teacher in question. I remember when we had a South African teacher who took one of our mathematics classes when I was at school. One child, who had been a constant thorn in the side of the school, not to mention other students, for years, decided that despite the fact that the teachers regular class was CDT or what the Americans refer to as "shop" class, and was the size of a barn door, had a pony tail and a hog motorcycle, this kid decided that he was going to call Sir a 'C' word.

Now, normally speaking this would result in a verbal dressing down, being sent to the heads office, and probable detention for some time. Our teacher however, was not what I would call a restrained gentleman, which is why he spun away from the whiteboard, snatched up the table at which the kid had been working, and threw it bodily THROUGH a wall, before screaming in the kids face so loud and brutally, that the kid wet himself, at the tender age of fourteen, in front of the whole class.

He was just as fired as this guy. To be honest, problem students are not people with whom I have any sympathy what so ever, and I have EVERY sympathy for a good teacher gone mad with rage at the behavior of the pretty much criminal sort of scumbag that wastes thier time, and disrupts the smooth running of an education system which these ignorant, shiftless bloody idiots should appreciate, instead of scuppering at every turn. People who are prepared to take a stand on such matters, no matter how inappropriate, would get nothing but a pat on the back, and a well deserved pint of thier favourite cold beverage.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

care to elaborate?

What would you do? Walk into the school with "guns loaded"??

They walked out of his class like rebels......Ahh nevermind, you won't answer honestly anways....

no the teacher walked out of the class, not the other way around. i would have a nice talk with the principal, possibly the police too. i would not confront a man who says his guns are loaded and asking someone to "try him". honestly.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
That was a bad way to vent frustration and anger.. i know how annoying high school kids are.. i see substitute teacher almost come down to tears because of some jackasses.

OP, fix you OP with the B) and C) as well.

i initially thought, just by reading the post, that he got fired for calling students idiot. lol

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It just reminds me of the "go in with guns a-blazin'" figure of speech.

It's something my generation wouldn't have missed, but from what I've witnessed of the generation currently in high school, I can totally see how they didn't understand this. Shoot, I can see how they don't even know their home addresses. Frightening lot if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Something in me says he was not talking literal guns.

Being that I am from a time when teachers were still allowed to use the paddle I took it as his arms (guns also seems to be used when talking about arms/biceps with some mocho type guys).

He called out a specific class, likely there is a large number of head empty spoiled brats in the class that needs to be put in their place.

All that being said he should be reminded of the mamby pamby times we are in where everyone gets rainbow hugs and that sort of talk is no longer allowed. He should be put on suspension for a period and possibly even given some counseling. The teacher has been there for 30 years. I think if he were a real threat it would have shown up by now.

Way to much fear is put into things any more. Someone looks at you funny and suddenly they are going to shoot the place up. Oh and the dear children could not be doing anything wrong in this case, all of them are perfect angels just ask their attentive parents about it. I am sure none of them are spending all of their free time at home melting their minds on garbage.

Sure the teacher should be reprimanded, but not fired. Today you cannot say much of anything even jokingly or someone will freak out about it because now we live in a society of fear where everyone gets a sticker for trying or at least showing up. The PC cuddle state is always fun times.

Raist

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
no teacher should use the threat of violence, physical or otherwise against a student period. the teacher should have known better. i am surprised people are on board with the teachers actions. there are hundreds of other ways the teacher could have handled the situation.

i tried editing the thread to include the entire teachers message. seems i'm too late to do so.

i also disagree with the teacher calling his students idiots. real mature responsible actions by an adult who is supposed to be a role model.

here is what the teacher wrote on the chalkboard.

"Period 6 (only)

A.) You are idiots!!!!!!!!

B.) The guns are loaded!!!

C.) Care to try me???????"

he wrote that on the chalkboard and then left the classroom without further explanation.

terribly irresponsible on his part.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

He was being honest and saying what he thought. Be it right or wrong it is something so few people do any more. Some times you have to hurt a few feelings to get your point across.

As for threats, as I said in my other post I took it to mean his arms. I grew up where teachers were stil using the paddle. It was fear of the paddle that caused me to not be more trouble than I was. If that is considered a threat so be it.

The school my son goes to still has a paddle hanging in the office. One of his teachers told him last year that if he did not behave and stop using bad words he would get a paddling and showed it to him. I know they will not paddle him, but I told them if he got out of hand to use the thing on him. Spank his rear and get his attention, then when he gets home he will get a spanking for getting one at school for not behaving.

My son might get into trouble from time to time but he knows there is a limit and that he will get a few pops on his rear end with my hand if he does not behave.

Stupid people do not know they are stupid, they have to be told. His students don't know they are idiots they need to be told. If they get their little feelings hurt big deal, maybe they will shape up and act like civil humans should. Again though the teacher should be reprimanded for the gun thing, after all in todays world you cannot talk about scary guns. Just talking about them can cause someone to die. Long live the world of PC.

The teacher screwed up. Today you do not even think about a gun near a school if you do you are deemed a killer and an evil person. I believe he got pushed to his limit and expressed himself in the wrong way. Maybe he needs a break and some counseling. I do not think he is a threat, but of course his actions are going to make things bad for the schools and teachers that were hoping to be able to carry guns for protection. Speaking of that, now I sort of think this was brought to light just to kill any bills that would allow such a thing to keep schools safe.

Raist

top topics

<<   2 >>

join