It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misconceptions about Christianity ;+)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well I don't think God is doing such a good job really. if earth were a company and god its CEO he would voted out by the rest of his board for such blatant mistakes and irrational decisions, If there is a god, and I don't know if there is or isn't, I'm not that arrogant to claim that there is without doubt; then why is he making such a cock-up of this world? Why so much disease of the innocents, war, leaders who only want power at any cost. If there is a God is aint no goodbaby , he just aint no good.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
OK here is the deal - I am Spiritual - I DO Have Faith! I DO believe in a "Higher Power". Here is the thing however - I have been noticing a lot of people (Americans) calling themselves "Christians" of late & then doing very Un-Christian things! Being a WAR-MONGER is UN-Christian!

They don't even seem to understand that the BASE ROOT of the Religion is Judaism. Then when you start to dig into the Old Testament - it starts to get really Shaky. The Egyptians & Persian Zoroastrians & Babylonians (that I mentioned before) that the Hebrews interacted with were
"Semitic Pagans". I am still curious to know the Root of my Religion = Christianity - So I dig deeper!

Next thing I know I am being called a "Pagan Satanist" by people of the Very same Faith that I used to belong to not so long ago! What is this Thing - This IGNORANCE - this "IT" that seems to have such a grip on the Minds of People? Isn't Religion & Spirituality a TOOL for Expanding your Consciousness & becoming one with said "Higher Power" - funny enough I have seen a LOT of QUITE THE OPPOSITE in Recent Years!!!

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Isn't Religion & Spirituality a TOOL for Expanding your Consciousness & becoming one with said "Higher Power" - funny enough I have seen a LOT of QUITE THE OPPOSITE in Recent Years!!!

Woahhh!! A person on here who actually THINKS about religion with has a real opinion. Yes religion, and I reinstate ALL religion is about gaining a higher perception about ourselves as humans and our secondary existence as spiritual beings.
So how come religion is being used as a brick wall to lock people in and shut people out of society these days. You believe in god if you are a Christian and that makes you special, you go to war to defend that right, you kill innocents and children in the name of Christianity.
You believe in god and are a Muslim, you do the same things and you are a Terrorist.
No killing in the name of faith is right. No bias or bigotry to or for a certain religion is right. It is the same as thinking I like Destiny�s Child and another person thinking I like Britney. They are just two opinions with no right or wrong just ideas based on taste and upbringing, mixed with culture and environment. God does not exist; we make him exist, just like Harvey the rabbit to James Stewart. If you think it exists, if that then helps you it is okay and a good thing to create, but once it starts harming you or others, it is time to put it to sleep.
Maybe we are the creators of God and not the other way around. Ever think that??

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Quote: "Maybe we are the creators of God and not the other way around. Ever think that?"

Yes - let me one up you. What if "GOD" & "GOD'S ANGELS
(Fallen & Un-Fallen)" are in Reality ALIEN E.T. - it's just that they had no way of describing this back then. With our Modern Lingual Abilities - We now have the ability to describe this!

What if a LOOOOONG time ago E.T. came down here & Altered the Ape's DNA - that could very well the "Spark" or "Missing Link" & then Evolution took over from there!!!

So the question becomes if Super Intelligent Space Faring Aliens exist does that mean that "GOD" doesn't exist? Well as Sentient Beings we all live in a "Universe" right?

So what if this "Universal Mind" or "Universal Consciousness" or
"Universal Energy" IS "GOD"?

OK here it comes - I am watching too much Stargate & Star Trek!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
That Christians don't act like christians; or that they have lost their roots to Judaism and its Law Covenant; or that they have splintered and scattered their doctrines and dogmas in so many directions, who can take it seriously?

It's like the man who had many children, but his wife died. And at her funeral, each child came to him and he gave them whatever he had. To some he gave money; to some he gave land; to some he gave furnishing; and to some he gave his books, that they might learn. The old man wanted his children to learn to give generously, as he had learned from his father.

And then the man himself died; and the children came together at his funeral and they argued among themselves about their father. One said his father was generous; and another said he was stingy; and another said he was extravagant. Finally, the youngest son spoke up--who had received all the books--and he said, "You know our father loved knowledge; yet he gave his books only to the person who loves knowledge; and he gave them to me." This must mean, that I was his Favorite. And his tiny daughter looked up at him and said, "Daddy, does that mean Jack next door is your favorite because you gave him all Granddaddy's books?" So, who was his favorite?

Granddaddy demonstrated what he treasured: giving. None of his children understood that what they received was what they were supposed to DO, not what they were supposed to HAVE.

And so it is with the christian church: they have accumulated a bunch of stuff but they never learned the lesson that Jesus spoke of "See the lilies of the field how they never spin nor weave; yet God takes care of them."

Re-learning compassion, generosity, hospitality and tolerance will do more to stop war than political negotiations or maneuvers, any day.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Emily the problem with your argument is that you are describing HUMAN fathers.God surely does not suffer from the human condition, therefore, if he is so powerful he would not let these things happen.Whereas a human father would have no power of control.
To say Godis the creator, god is omnipresent, god is all powerful, you need a stronger argument than comparisons to a weak man with no control over his offspring.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Quote: "therefore, if he is so powerful he would not let these things happen......
To say God is Omnipresent, God is all powerful, you need a stronger argument than comparisons to a weak man with no control over his offspring."

Didn't you read my Last Post? "GOD" is the ENTIRE UNIVERSE!!! Why should God intervene? We are now dealing with a mess that HUMANITY itself created! But Perhaps IT still does intervene - in ways that people don't really seem to notice - like your Conscious or KARMA!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
How can you possibly have an opinion, if you yourself are not related to the way God's mind works?

Okay, that having been said, since we are made in His image and Likeness also [but at an electro-chemical-material level] you ought to be able to understand that He withholds His power, so that we might experience experience.

Power-freaks are very immature personalities. God doesn't have to use power because He has the wisdom to "work around" circumstances.

I get the impression you envision God as a powerful tyrant that pushes everybody around.

No, I see Him as rather meek and very very cautious. Ever try to hold a butterfly in your hand. One must be very very careful, not to crush it.

The God YHVH I know is kind. If you want to project cruelty and a bunch of absolutes on God, that's your problem. Those are your projections.

God will intervene to retain His Dominion over our planet. He will intervene to keep Satanic forces--with all their lies and deceit--from permanently impacting His Creation. Sure. But God does not meddle.

He asks us to pray and let our needs be made known to Him so He can heal us. That's not meddling. That's caring.

The earth is HALF FULL full of [sick] people? Then, God will permit it to be emptied.

The earth is polluted? Then, God will permit polluters to be plundered and pillaged.

Both of you guys seem to project onto God all your fears. Hey! He's got a personality, and a mind and a soul just like us. He's cool. When my thoughts mingle with His, I can smile and breathe easier and feel better.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Emily_Cragg
How can you possibly have an opinion, if you yourself are not related to the way God's mind works?

Oh right so now I am not even allowed an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well bless my little cotton socks. Who is the one playing god now Emily????

How do you know I am not related to the way god'smind works anyhow? How do you know I am not connected and in tune with that more than you?Maybe you have got it all wrong and I have it right.Only an egotist would say they truly understand the mind of god.And that is below what god is about is it not? I could be god for all you know.
Maybe I am, maybe we all are. But you certainly have a very self righteous attitude for someone who declares themselves a worker of gods means and a believer of gods methods. Tut Tut

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
You couldn't HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT THE MIND OF GOD IF YOU WERE NOT IN FACT A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, yourself. Got that?

Do you get what I'm saying this time? It got all twisted around. Sorry.

I'm telling you my experience. I'm telling you, how it is for me.

I'm telling you, I'm not confounded nor troubled by the personality of God.

Now, what's the matter with that?

You have to go with what you think is going on. But, why do you need to take what I say and my experience and interpret that as an attack on my part?

That doesn't seem very fair to me.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Emily_Cragg]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Quote: "I get the impression you envision God as a powerful Tyrant that pushes everybody around."

Well that is what I get when I read the Old Testament - that YHVH is a Tyrant Bully God that wants to Control everyone & wants Everyone to Worship "IT" out of FEAR.

This is not the "GOD" that I am Talking about. The Christian "GOD" is a God of LOVE & COMPASSION. I want to take it back from the EXTREMISTS that Hijacked my RELIGION & my COUNTRY!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Just because Fundies SAY SO, you're going to believe God is different from the Compassionate, Kind, Thoughtful and Careful GOD that you know?

Let's not give them the power to define God for us, okay?

Let's not give people who hate God the power to limit our understanding of his Gracious Loving Nature.

Sure. Bible-thumping Fundies can say whatever they want. But that doesn't make it TRUE, does it?

And God gave HIMself the Name YHVH so let that be His Name. And nobody else can take that away from Him--EITHER.

And you can attribute whatever you want to attribute to God. But that doesn't make it so.

Discovering God is the process of seeking the Messiah. Let the Evangelicals do their thing, but if they're not telling GOD'S TRUTH, they might as well just flap their lips.

See what I'm saying? Nobody has to take these Fundies SERIOUSLY. Not me, not you. They're on some kind of power trip. [shrug]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

You couldn't HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT THE MIND OF GOD IF YOU WERE NOT IN FACT A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, yourself. Got that?

Strange I thought we were all A chip off the old block of god!
Oh well maybe I am the anti-christ then ,who knew.
What about god fearing christians.....
Authority is the only rope that allows freedom. If there is a so called god, who the hell knows how it thinks.In fact who the hell cares.It don't care much about much about noone that's for sure.
God bless.
Oh anmd by the way I DO believe in god.
I also beliveve in the teachings of Christ.
I also believe in peace and love and brotherhood.
I DO NOT believe in religion, or church or state entwined with church. Jesus himself said that church is the place in which you pray,may that be a rock or a stool. There is and never has been a Christian religion, there has never been a church it is all a lie propigated by people who want to instill fear and collusion for either money or power.If your god is a private god,who you speak to in your own silence whenever and wherver you will, then fine; but if he is a god of church or religion he is a fake, an imposter a false idol. Beware of these things for they will destroy your soul. I welcome you to my house, the house of belonging, the house of family, the house of the lost child alone in the wilderness. I came here for you to pass on a message, a message to the child alone.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Many of us are here at ATS because we are alone.

And sometimes God speaks to us here, through the words of our friends.

If you're willing to listen, anybody can teach you the Truth.

If you hear the ring of truth, anybody can follow that.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, Teller.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Emily Cragg read this true and read the code.

Everybody is with me. My word is my bond. I guide only the lost. Lonely as they are found. Yes you will cry in the wilderness. Call out the true name of god. Race against the sinners who taunt you. Allow only love into your heart. God is here for you. God is here for you.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
But you see that is just it Emily - Reading the Old Testament is like Reading BACKWARDS until you get to
"I AM what I AM". Hebrew is written Backwards. I can't read Hebrew - I am an American - I Read & Write & Speak & Think in ENGLISH. Why do I need this Book to contact God? I see God in Every Sunset & Sunrise. I see God on the Faces of Little Babies & I see the GODDESS in Beautiful Girls/Women. Most of all I FEEL God in my Heart & Soul & Spirit. Yet I am Not Jewish - I can't read Hebrew - Does that mean that God wants nothing to do with me? That I am cut off from God - that I can never be a true Christian?

I agree with Teller - a "Church" is just a building - "Church" is were ever you are at the Moment when you are truly seeking contact with the
"God Force".

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   

And God gave HIMself the Name YHVH so let that be His Name. And nobody else can take that away from Him--EITHER.

He also said it was; Jealous. In fact, he had several names for himself. Now what on earth exactly would be jealous about?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Quote: "I get the impression you envision God as a powerful Tyrant that pushes everybody around."

Well that is what I get when I read the Old Testament - that YHVH is a Tyrant Bully God that wants to Control everyone & wants Everyone to Worship "IT" out of FEAR.

This is not the "GOD" that I am Talking about. The Christian "GOD" is a God of LOVE & COMPASSION. I want to take it back from the EXTREMISTS that Hijacked my RELIGION & my COUNTRY!!!

I've always wondered why Christianity didn't just drop the old testimant and concentrate on the new exclusively as it really is contrary to Jesus' teachings.. and frequently in direct opposition. His message already loses power when people can always over rule it by following the OT when they don't feel like being compassionate that day.
God is loving.
He is a vengeful god.

[edit on 24-11-2004 by riley]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
I've always wondered why Christianity didn't just drop the old testimant and concentrate on the new exclusively as it really is contrary to Jesus' teachings.. and frequently in direct opposition.

Actually not, but you'd have to read Jesus' teachings to understand how. See the parts (Matthew through John) on how he's there to fulfill the law and how people were reading into the law too much and missing God's original message. Perhaps if you could site examples on how you came to this conclusion, it could better addressed.

His message already loses power when people can always over rule it by following the OT when they don't feel like being compassionate that day.

This kind of selective reading/hearing is not correct for anyone, Christian or not. I know what you mean though in the whole 'eye for an eye' when talking about capital punishment.

God is loving.
He is a vengeful god.

Do you not experience love? Do you not experience anger? Well, which is it? Both really, right?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Teller, you be careful you don't think more of yourself than necessary. It's God who holds us up, and not we ourselves.

Saraphim, I'm not arguing with you. The Holy Spirit is competent to teach us all, Book or NO Book; building or no building; spiritual associates or no spiritual associates. But some of us prefer having company.

Jealous, exactly WHAT would God YHVH be jealous about? I dunno. You'll have to ask Him.

Riley, the New Testament, based as it IS on the Law Covenant [Matt 5:16-21, 1John 5:3 & book of James] would make absolutely NO SENSE without a person's being versed in what is Right and Wrong according to God's Law. It's also helpful to realize Jesus died so that "capital punishment" could be ended once for all time and stoning for victimless crimes could be ended once for all time.

Saint4God, realize we experience the same emotions that God gave to us. We can be offended by injustice just as He can be. And capital punishment and stoning to death for being "different" can also offend one's sensibilities as much or more than the sins for which a person is being penalized. That is why it was said that "He came to put an end to death and the fear of death." Killing people because they're a witch or a sorcerer or a homosexual is simply no longer "cricket."

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join