It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA Will Permit Knives, Golf Clubs on U.S. Planes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The TSA is apparently planning to change their procedures in handling passenger security on US flights.

The news that they will be allowing passengers to board planes with sharp and blunt objects may be received with mixed response, the TSA may finally be considering a more proactive, intelligence based screening process rather than the current hands on gropedowns that cause headaches nationwide.

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration will let people carry small pocketknives onto passenger planes for the first time since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, along with golf clubs, hockey sticks and plastic Wiffle Ball-style bats.

The change, to conform with international rules, will take effect April 25.

The agency is moving away from uniform procedures that apply to every passenger and toward efforts to perform background checks on passengers before they arrive at an airport.

Source link

Weapons much like those allegedly used on Sept 11th, 2001 will be allowed on airplanes, do you think this is a good decision?

My first question to this news is great, how much money will these changes save us?
edit on 5-3-2013 by Sek82 because: correction

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What a ridiculous load of garbage this whole thing is.

Permit knives with blades no longer than 2.4 in except those with locking blades or molded handles? So what exactly does that leave? Every folder blade worth carrying locks. Even Leatherman tools and Swiss Army knives.

Still prohibit box cutters? Okay, so I can carry on my unlocking (dangerous to the user) pocket knife of 2.4 in. but not my little pocket box cutter with a very fragile blade of .25 in ?

No more than two golf clubs? WTF is that about? Because three golf clubs is just too dangerous. I cant beat you senseless with just 1. I'll need 3 for that.

We wont permit a real functional baseball bat but you can carry on those little ass-beating bats all the Cambodian gangs around here carry. That's perfectly fine.

Stop pretending they serve any real purpose and get just rid of the TSA altogether.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
At least I can start bringing my hockey stick as carry-on again!

edit on 5-3-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
2.4 inch blade........ I can cut your throat with a credit card.....

I for one am happy to see the TSA is going to move towards an intelligence approach. Profiling works, ask Israel.
edit on 5-3-2013 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I see a false flag in the making, then even more control.

Ease the rules. Something happens. "See, we were right". Tighten rules even more.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My utility knife has a 3 inch blade so the TSA would probably dub that an assault blade.
Your post highlights the silliness that goes behind their specific limitations like that of the 3 fl oz limit on liquids.

Considering their history (or uneventful lack thereof) their necessity is certainly up for debate... having been created after such a questionable event as 9/11... and having caught zero terrorists since.

However I will say this move, while small and maybe even less thought out, seems to be in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

WOW I would never have expected this, judging by the TSA's reputation and my personal experience flying.

I feel like this is a step in the right direction. Its not like they don't have armed, plain-clothes marshals on board.

I'd rather live with the risk and have more freedom, any day

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Wow, pocket knives! How very generous of them.
Now, how about allowing bottled water, toothpaste and baby formula. You know, the things that travellers in general actually carry, and the confiscation of which gives people not just headaches but actual distress.
Wake me when the terrorist paranoia finally wears off of peoples' basic necessities. Otherwise, in my opinion nothing's changed.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yep. Let them aboard like they used to. False Flag attack will happen with knives then they will crack down TWICE as hard.

Here we go!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

*nod* the 'terrorist paranoia' you mention doesn't exist amongst us Americans I don't think, and it hasn't for a long time, but the illusion that it must be a major concern and that they serve a vital purpose is something they spend a lot of money propping up.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Only thing that really sticks out for me is this;

Originally posted by Sek82

The change, to conform with international rules, will take effect April 25.

and there you have it. Can't even have your own rules anymore in this global world

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I was told I had "Too much jewelry" with me by TSA last week,LOL!
Not sure what the legal-limits on bling is? I got a little snippy and literally ignored her...really???
THIS is what absolutely terrifies me, all kidding aside:
"efforts to perform background checks on passengers before they arrive at an airport"
WHO is doing to be doing these checks? WHERE will the info come from and go?
Is it even legal? Airlines are NOT "government entities" (well yet anyhow) they are private corporations...so now under the guise of "security IN their name" background checks can be done?
Stinks if you ask me...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

This whole background checking thing is playing into the inevitable national ID card.

One card with restrictions and allowances for all things.

Everyone will get one paid for by taxation.

When you pass the driving test you'll get an allowance added, when you turn 18, 21 you'll get others.

This will pacify the voter fraud folks and the poll tax folks.

There will be a federal weapons permit that will pacify both the carry reciprocity crowd and the universal background checks / training standards crowd. Another allowance on your card.

Background checks will be run in almost real-time thanks to the ever-growing national surveillance grid and help from the likes of DARPA and Google.

Sold as a way to protect the nations fragile economy from any more "great recessions" the card will also be tied to your bank acting as a debit and credit card.

Your card could be switched "on" or "off" in an instant however appeals will linger for months.

This is coming down the pipe soon enough. Within the next 25 years I figure.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I am glad I will be 70+ years old by then, I will have nothing to lose making a stand against such Draconian and Orwellian policies. I would stand now but I hate dying alone...... To many sheep to make a difference.

top topics

join