It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There can be no God in your mind/ empty your mind of God.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Even if everyone in this thread agreed that God exists. Then we arrive at which God? as all of our ideas of what God is still differs. Is it the religious God taking scripture as the word? If so then which religion? Is it the spiritual God separated from religion which becomes completely subjective and lacking objectivity. Is it God not as a being but as a first cause? Then we arrive at the problem of causation and infinity. Is God really the greatest of greats (Everything)? Then we cannot assume to know everything until we first understand each-thing. We are trying to explain an order of events unknown. We are obligated to backtrack, looking at the order in reverse from the observable.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

Yep. I still think the most beneficial perspective to take is that we are all gods, and that we all have the power to be our own miracles. Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he will eat for life. Instead of dancing for bread, we should become our own masters, our own lords. We should pray to ourselves, and expect ourselves to make the difference in our lives. Because in the end, every failure has been a result of the mistakes we ourselves make, just like every victory is the product of efforts we ourselves put out. No fate but what we make for ourselves.

It just makes more sense. Why rely on an external power you must supplicate yourself to in order to be forgiven for being human? Why not rely on your own power and make the best of being human? You are what you believe.
edit on 6-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf
Even if everyone in this thread agreed that God exists.

Aren't we talking about one and the same then? here I use the H. scripture: "There is only one God".

Then we arrive at which God? as all of our ideas of what God is still differs.

We can have different ideas about the same one. All our ideas united gives us more information about what our God can be to us.
A good thought about God is he is cause of all things. Just have a short time thinking about it. It can do wonderful things.

Is it the religious God taking scripture as the word? If so then which religion?

This is reminding me of the letters of Paul, I don't know to which area, where he says:" If you want to become religous, you must go to visit orfins and widows."

All the latest religions should be particles of the one that was in the beginning.

Is it the spiritual God separated from religion which becomes completely subjective and lacking objectivity. Is it God not as a being but as a first cause? Then we arrive at the problem of causation and infinity.

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf Is God really the greatest of greats (Everything)?

God, as cause of all things.

Then we cannot assume to know everything until we first understand each-thing. We are trying to explain an order of events unknown. We are obligated to backtrack, looking at the order in reverse from the observable.

I kinda agree.
edit on 6-3-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Sure but you are only talking about God as a being. A being that has say in what we do and must be relied upon. This already puts limitations on the idea of other possibilites. In a sense we are our own masters yet only to an extent, as we still surrender to many things beyond our control or comprehension. Believing to know something does not make it true. Only if you can justify it as true. Even then it becomes only more likely than not. Going with the idea that is the most beneficial to self is egoism. This doesn't help to discover truth tho.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Sure but you are only talking about God as a being. A being that has say in what we do and must be relied upon. This already puts limitations on the idea of other possibilites.

No. As I said before, we are all capable of being gods. And by 'god', I don't mean the Judaic version. I mean beings of perfect potential and perfect capability to reach that potential. Beings capable of realizing their imagination in every way they want to.

What is a 'god'? What do you think a god is?

Surrender...look around at this world, and tell me how much we've surrendered. Homo Sapiens has shown a history of dying instead of surrendering. We don't surrender, we sacrifice.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Yeah but as I said your belief in ones capability in becoming a god doesn't imply actually being able to. It also doesn't shine light on creation. It also brings about a new problem of perfection and whether or not one can agree on what that entails. Is it even possible to imagine perfection and if you "think" you can, then surely it is the same idea everyone has or else in reality it is not perfection.
edit on 6-3-2013 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Yeah but as I said your belief in ones capability in becoming a god doesn't imply actually being able to.

Do I need to post the definition of 'capable'? Merriam-Webster says:

ca·pa·ble
adjective \ˈkā-pə-bəl, in rapid speech ˈkāp-bəl\
Definition of CAPABLE
: susceptible
obsolete : comprehensive
: having attributes (as physical or mental power) required for performance or accomplishment
: having traits conducive to or features permitting
: having legal right to own, enjoy, or perform
: having or showing general efficiency and ability

If someone is capable of becoming a godly being, then it is inferred that they have the ability. The two words are essentially synonymous in that regard.

It also doesn't shine light on creation.

Do I really have to post the definition for that word, too? Look around at the world and tell me that our imagination, our ability to dream - the key to our divinity - hasn't unlocked a spectacular range of creative power in our species.

It also brings about a new problem of perfection and whether or not one can agree on what that entails.

Perfection is a state of contentedness. People who are imperfect are people who don't know know what they want or aren't satisfied with what they have. Neither is impossible to fix.

Is it even possible to imagine perfection and if you "think" you can, then surely it is the same idea everyone has or else in reality it is not perfection.

It sounds to me as though you've never experienced perfect happiness, never had even a single moment where you didn't desire anything because you had everything you wanted.

Perfection is a state of mind. And the mind is a purely perceptive realm. Which inherently involves subjectivity.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Ok so we move from egoism to subjectivism. What is right is what one thinks regardless of objective reality. I am capable of controlling the elements with my mind because I can imagine myself doing so. In my perfect imaginary world the sum of all angles in triangles equals 232. How would the definition of creation answer the reasons as to why it is? My curiosity and ability to reason fills me with happiness. But perfect? unless it can exist outside the mind then it has limitations therefore it is not perfect.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Ok so we move from egoism to subjectivism. What is right is what one thinks regardless of objective reality. I am capable of controlling the elements with my mind because I can imagine myself doing so.

Unless you are comfortable with the lack of such an ability.

In my perfect imaginary world the sum of all angles in triangles equals 232. How would the definition of creation answer the reasons as to why it is?

The more we understand the universe, the more we are able to contemplate the opportunities by which we might exploit its mysteries. These exploitations are what we call "creation". We imagine a possibility, we figure out how the universe might become capable of such an event, and we provide the needed variables.

What else is needed to be considered a god? Being all-powerful? I have a device in my pocket which allows me to access all of the recorded history of humanity and communicate with my friend on the other side of the world. Further more, it's capable of storing realistic impressions which may be accessed at a later date. Any question you can think of, I can answer with the push of a button. Additionally, I can at any time summon a hundred metal birds to drop magical devices which will erase in your entire country inside an hour. Or I can just pull out this magical wand and paralyze you with a touch. Or this other device in my pocket can snuff you out with a loud noise.

By demonstrating this to any citizen from an ancient culture, I could easily establish myself as a god.

My curiosity and ability to reason fills me with happiness. But perfect? unless it can exist outside the mind then it has limitations therefore it is not perfect.

But there is nothing outside of the mind. Everything you detect with your five senses is happening inside your head. External stimuli is translated into electrical signals which are transmitted to your brain and decrypted into data that is then analyzed and organized into an impression that you interpret as sound, sight, or texture. Every single thought or feeling you register is a result of a chemical balance that occurs inside of your skull. All of your senses and behaviors rely on the condition of those chemical balances.

Those chemicals are the entirety of your world. Without them, nothing would exist in this realm...so far as we are able to detect with our technology, which is thoroughly susceptible to our ability to determine the precise designs necessary for detecting something we can only speculate exists, let alone define in any specific quantity. Anyway...once you establish acceptance of the illusion that is the world, perfection is yours. Perfection is emotional security in the face of every event and possibility that can occur to you, whether realized or simply potential, thereby achieving complete satisfaction with whatever idea or object you happen to be contemplating.

Not exactly a healthy outlook as far as survival goes, but then again, when has materialism ever made perfection a simple objective?

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I am not comfortable with the lack of that ability but am accepted of the fact that realistically I cannot do it. I was using it as an example to show the flaw in your statement. Reciting a few present day human innovations and creating the perception of being a god with a hypothetical time-travel trip to the past is only distorting reality to meet your idea. If someone or something else came along and squishes you like a fly, well then those same people would realize their flawed perception in thinking you as all powerful because in reality you were not. Meaning and value may not exist outside the mind but that does not mean nothing is objective. People call math the universal language because it is agreed upon to ultimately be an objective truth. Somethings are because they are, somethings work because they work. We may have discovered them and use them in different ways but that doesn't change the fact they are with or without the mind.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Meaning and value may not exist outside the mind but that does not mean nothing is objective. People call math the universal language because it is agreed upon to ultimately be an objective truth. Somethings are because they are, somethings work because they work. We may have discovered them and use them in different ways but that doesn't change the fact they are with or without the mind.

Do you believe in unicorns? Most people don't believe in unicorns. They call them myths. They know that unicorns don't exist. Why? Because they have never seen them. And yet, if I rode up to them atop a dazzling male unicorn, and allowed them to pet it and feed it, they would know that at least one unicorn exists, validating the possibility of the unicorn in general.

But why did we know unicorns don't exist if I was able to show them that unicorn? Because if it's not in the mind, it doesn't exist. If it isn't compatible with our perceptions of the world, it doesn't exist. It shouldn't exist. And if it does, it's wrong.

We choose what to believe in. We choose what to think. We choose how to act or react. And in this way, we choose how to shape our world. This is where imagination comes in...imagination expands our choices, gives us more ideas on how the affect the world around us. That's what makes us godly.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Religion is about the testimony of people here on Earth who had experiences altogether different from there common day to day lives. This resulted from individuals who represented themselves in a way that elicited such responses from the masses.

The question of if God exist or not requires evidence and to be clear meditation about a concept and subsequent good feelings is not evidence. Finding yourself out of your body because your focus is on
God not existing is also not evidence. I mean if you come to me and say my experience's have proven
there is no God because of the way I can interact with reality?

Why don't you try applying those abilities to addressing something more practical like identifying the locations of missing children (as an example). Under the circumstances it should not be that difficult if your abilities can verify the non existence of God.

Just my thoughts.
edit on 6-3-2013 by Kashai because: Modifed content

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Unicornes do exist in the mind I agree. I am no disagreeing that everything in the mind exists. Which includes ALL gods described thus far in this thread. One cannot think of non-existence because that is a contradiction. The argument for that goes, "that which exists in the mind is not greater than that which exists in the mind and outside the mind." We cannot know anything which we cannot think of but we can sometimes think things of which we will never know. This gets us more into the metaphysical realm, full of conundrums and circular talk. The imagination is a wonderful thing but it can either aid in finding truth or create truth where none is.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

The idea of a mutation occuring in horses in the past, where they developed horns on there heads is not absurd. In general horses are related to animals that have horns and as such it is plausible in respect to genetics. If anything horses fight each other in very similar ways to how other hooved animals fight with respect to reproduction and territorial disputes.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

To be a god is to make your own miracles happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

It's not necessary for a God to exist at all, to be a God. The imagination of a few people is sufficient.
Although we have had some new Gods in the last hundred or so years, they just don't seem to catch one like the old ones. The old ones are definitely the best.
edit on 7-3-2013 by region331 because: more

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by region331

It's not necessary for a God to exist at all, to be a God. The imagination of a few people is sufficient.
Although we have had some new Gods in the last hundred or so years, they just don't seem to catch one like the old ones. The old ones are definitely the best.

If you have imagination, you can be godly. The only thing that's stopping you is how far you're willing to extend your mind.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

To be a god is to make your own miracles happen.

You forgot to add, "in your mind" to the end of that. As your definition applies to imagination alone. The example you stated earlier would only be that of a false miracle. Something explainable shown to the unaware who perceive it to be divine. Technically nothing you think of is a miracle either. It is explained by the fact it is imagined. I can drink air and eat water in my mind. Why? because it is imagined which implies its possibility thus explaining it. Doing it outside the mind would make it a miracle.

edit on 8-3-2013 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

You forgot to add, "in your mind" to the end of that. As your definition applies to imagination alone. The example you stated earlier would only be that of a false miracle. Something explainable shown to the unaware who perceive it to be divine.

Being a god is a state of mind. A state of understanding, comprehension. The world didn't change. It doesn't have to, because you can become whatever you need to be. Self-mastery. Change yourself, and you change the world. Become what you need to be, and the world is what it needs to be.

Far too much, we act as though the world should change to suit our needs, when we fail to realize that as one of the most adaptive species on the planet, we should be changing to suit our own needs. And that's what gives us power. If we learn to change to suit our own needs, we won't need a god. We'll take care of everything ourselves.

edit on 8-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

edit on 8-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)
Being a god is a state of mind. A state of understanding, comprehension. The world didn't change. It doesn't have to, because you can become whatever you need to be. Self-mastery. Change yourself, and you change the world. Become what you need to be, and the world is what it needs to be.

So what is the argument? you agree the mind is limited not by itself but by the objective world outside of it. So even if the mind has no limitations, the world outside of it does making us change the way we think about doing things. I wouldn't jump off a building because I imagined I could fly. I would comprehend the limitions of the world outside and build a tool to aid in the ability.

If we learn to change to suit our own needs, we won't need a god. We'll take care of everything ourselves.

Yes, because the answers will be found through reason allowing us to explain.
edit on 8-3-2013 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join