It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow's new corn, the new wave of dangerous chemicals in our crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
www.weather.com...

Steve Smith, director of agriculture at Indiana-based Red Gold, the world's largest processor of canned tomatoes, calls the 2,4-D issue a "ticking time bomb."

Monsanto has dominated the mutated seed industry for the last decade but new companies want in on the profit. Now that weeds seem to have developed a resistance to monsantos round up, other companies are looking to find ways to create a new generation of gmo's that will withstand even more deadly dangerous chemicals that farmers want to use to begin controlling weeds again.

Some scientists argue that the weeds will just develop a resistance to these chemicals like they sis with monsanto's round up, creating super weeds that can only be killed by hand, which would devastate crops all over the country.

"It's a chemical arms race," said Andrew Kimbrell, a lawyer at the Center for Food Safety opposed to the new crop systems. "It's a scary scenario. We won't be able to do anything with these weeds other than use machetes."

But while they are all wrapped up in the weed debate, there is still the concern of what these gmo's are doing to our health. I thought monsanto's seed was bad, but looks like they will just get worse. Weeds may be able to develop a resistance, but what about the rest of us?

It's a good time to start growing our own food. I started a massive garden this year. If you are a first time grower, or if you are limited in space, you can apply the method of square foot gardening. I have enormous amounts of lettuce, broccoli, onion, peppers, asparagus, potatoes, tomatoes, and everything we eat all growing now. All in a tiny backyard. We have fruit trees planted as well. I buy organic wheat and make our own breads. The goal is to only buy organic meat and flour from the store, and grow everything else. Ill be adding corn as well, as soon as i find a source for natural seed. Gmo's frighten the crap out of me.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

Sheeze I just bought a large can of Red Gold for chili...

Sounds as if it is not the individual farmer but big agra who chose to use the poisons, play the games so that they can continue to get the food distribution orders for both the US, Mexico and abroad.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Yeah its getting worse and worse, were in on the organics as well, even though some things you cant get in organics but were cleaning out. We want to do our own garden as well, but we only have an enclosed rear garden,for now. Any idea how to plant in a enclosed rear garden? I know there are boxes where you can grow in and you can use pots, any idea how to build it upwards the walls? what is the best way to grow salads and vegs in such sit?
Its a world of a difference with the organic stuff. We buy as it is now from a close farmer. People say its too expensive but they dont think about they eat less since its so filling,and because of the nutritients, so you need less. And the health bennefits are amazing. I cant count how many bennefits weve had. All from non combusted stomach/body to more energy, a calmness and peace in the body you dont get with the originals, etc.
what about bottled pure water what do you use there? I know its plastic but its very difficult, when you dont have or are allowed to install purifications in your home, and bottled waters the next instead of the bad..

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Great thread and I'd love to get my grandparents off of Monsanto food.

Can you list how many people have been killed and gotten sick from their product so I can use that to convince my grandparents to only eat natural food.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This family seems to have it figured out:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stjarna1

Square Foot Gardening is easy to do and you will use raised beds so you can grow anywhere. You can grow out of pots and buckets, even cardboard boxes. I grow out of anything I can get my hands on.

Vertical Gardening is what you need to look into if you want to grow up a wall or a fence. You can purchase what you need or make your own. Anyone can grow in a small space. Make your own compost with your kitchen scraps and lawn clippings so you always have wonderful soil for your garden. Make compost tea for the best natural fertilizer you'll ever own, for free! While it takes a small amount of money to get started, building boxes etc., it is self sustaining, and you can do it for free from that point on. Save your seeds from your food to replant later. Set up rain barrels for free water.

We only drink distilled water, and while I wish we had a distiller, for now we have to drink it from the plastic bottles they are sold in. But it is something I'm always looking to upgrade as soon as I can.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Here is a link to a thread that gives several sources for heirloom seed. www.abovetopsecret.com...
There are also a lot of gardening info there that may help. Good luck on your garden this year.

I get so frustrated sometimes seeing where these huge companies have taken our agriculture. Everything is so tainted that it makes it very hard to feed a family responsibly. There are only a handful of conventional products that remain untouched anymore. I have been thinking of starting to grow quinoa as a grain, I just have no experience with it.

On a slightly different note, why don't these large scale farmers hire people to weed some crops? There are so many people out of work right now that something has to be better than nothing. I know it is more expensive to pay people than it is to spray crops, but what is the price we are paying now and in future generations just to save a few dollars now?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I recommend the Mittleider method. Go here: growfood.com...

I tried the 4x4 square foot way, but my yields were low. I switched to Mittleider this year and so far my garden of onions, romain lettuce, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus look great. The plants are big and healthy. The romaine lettuce tastes fantastic, in fact I've been picking leaves off of the same 40 plants for about 8 months. Soon to go in are sweet potatoes, spagetti squash, butternut squash, strawberries. If I could convince the wife to let go of some of the grassy area, I could produce WAY more than we need.

As an aside, I did spagetti squash last year ans still have 10 big ones in storage, as well as a bunch of sweet potatoes. They store well in my garage in a plywood box I made.

Soon... chickens...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm excited for this year, new home with a bigger backyard "but smaller house". I'm trying to expand my lawn buisness into hydroponic's and indoor growing that's affordable and let me say it's hard. I ended up literally making everything but the organic nutrients from the base to LED grow lights and that's the only affordable way to do it.

i'm going to use 10ft gutter's on a 7ft stand so the deer won't eat them, for growing a massive amount of strawberry's, lettace and small root plants. I'm also going to till up a 15x20 garden when the snow melt's and dry's a little.

Also using some verticle gardening to utilize space can yeild a quite of bit of veggies but finding a good material without chemical's already introduced to them is a little challenging. Alot of people use old pallet's for vertigardening but i'm not sure about the chemical's they spray on them for pest control.

I have a hydro NFT and drip system, aeroponics tower homemade and the garden which will see what grow's the best in the diferent arangments. I can't wait already have the lettace, strawberry's cucumber and watermellon started from seeds waiting to put in the ground when the weather permits.

People are proud of their organic seeds and the prices are crazy imo, I try and save the seeds from the previous harvest to cut back on cost's. And using compost and vermicomposting help's with natural and essential nuturients. I wish I lived close to cave full of bat's cause the guano is great for gardens!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
thank you, I will look into it, my partner is fantastic to build anything and have his hands right screwed on so well be able to do alot. where you go for natural seeds and not already impregnated badly?
I had a look in the supermarket today and the difference between their vegs, and what we eat is stunning,absolutely shocking. they look like they have all their life drained out to max.
If now some could join together to help eachother of the unemployed and agree to grow and transport then all would actually have,for free and yet produce growing.

top topics

join