It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shining Metallic Objects, Horned Rocks, and Bugs (?) on Martian surface from... Curiosity.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
here is a logical explanation to shinny rocks on Mars!

"Sletten, from the University of Washington, explained that, not surprisingly, it is actually a part of the rock that is different — harder and more resistant to erosion — than the rest of the rock it’s embedded in. On Earth, as on Mars, “often you can see knobs or projections on surfaces eroded by the wind, particularly when a harder, less erodible rock is on top,” Sletten said, via an email to Universe Today from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory media relations office. “The rock on top of the projection is likely more resistant to wind erosion and protects the underlying rock from being eroded.” As far as why it appears shiny, Sletten said, “The shiny surface suggests that this rock has a fine grain and is relatively hard. Hard, fine grained rocks can be polished by the wind to form very smooth surfaces.” It also may be shiny because it is wind-blasted and therefore dust-free, Sletten said, “while the surfaces not directly being eroded by wind may have a fine layer of reddish dust or rock-weathering rind. The sandblasted surfaces may reveal the inherent rock color and texture.” Read more: www.universetoday.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Id like to point out something to the naysayers...

You claim that the shiny objects could be parts from satellites or the lander or whatever else your limited critical thinking skills will allow...but lets see how stupid it is to think those things:

Firstly...Curiosity isnt anywhere near its original landing site. When it DID land, there were no metal parts to even break off as it was surrounded by balloons...not sheet metal. No other lander or probe has ever landed anywhere near where curiosity did.
In fact, the major theme of Curiosity was to land her where no other human made object has landed.

MARS is half the size of Earth. Earth has thousands of satellites in orbit as well as space junk. Lets say you went to the Gobi desert with a rover of your own. How often do you think your rover would take a picture of a shiny object that fell from space? Or ANY shiny object? Im guessing never...not one picture whatsoever.
Why then, do shiny object continuously pop up on these rover pictures on a planet that has never supposedly had civilization?

Furthermore, its called the Red Planet because of its high concentration of iron oxide. Iron oxide is a mixture of iron and oxygen...or RUST as its known here on Earth. I wonder...if Earth had a nuclear war...how long would it take to fill our atmosphere with the rust of our buildings and cars...

I dont know if Mars ever had life, but as a skeptic myself...I have a hard time saying that the shiny object in that second pic is light reflection or swamp gas for crisake. It for sure isnt a rover part lol...I doubt NASA spent billions on a rover to have the parts fall off....come on!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I've followed your threads as a lurker. Don't give up. We will all be "rocks" one day. Maybe whatever civilization finds us after we kill ourselves off will have a similar theory on their planet

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk

I don't see anything on this picture.

Just a weird rock.

You only see a rock? I see many.

And the cockroach from Men in Black.

And that photo is from the wrong mission, that's from Viking.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by wdkirk

I don't see anything on this picture.

Just a weird rock.

You only see a rock? I see many.

And the cockroach from Men in Black.

And that photo is from the wrong mission, that's from Viking.

huh......i just couldn't see the bug till you pointed it out.....

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

NASA

Here is an image with some whitish color behind a rock in shadow. Probably just a play with shadows, but it kind of looks like someone lost some notebook paper.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
what about the images that popped up in Sol 109 that appear to show a spine of bit of skeleton. Im always extremely critical of these claims about supposed oddities in the curiousity pics but those pictures looked very interesting to me. Is anyone else familiar with these images in this thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by VekTorVik

NASA

Here is an image with some whitish color behind a rock in shadow. Probably just a play with shadows, but it kind of looks like someone lost some notebook paper.

That "rock" at the bottom of the picture, (just to the right of the second big rock) almost looks like a cross.

No, I am not making any references to Jesus or anything, I'm just pointing out the square angles at works here and because a square does NOT exist in nature.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

More interesting finds.

I found one of those white objects yesterday on some photo, but I forgot which one.

The "horned rock" is the most interesting to me, as the "horn" appears to have a slightly different colour, a little darker than the rocks. The shadow is a little strange, as it is being cast on a sloped surface, so I cannot be that sure if what looks like the shadow is really a shadow.

The bug looks more like a coincidence made worse by the JPEG compression artefacts.

Keep on looking.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
interesting pics , can anyone tell me if this is a bolt, a stray stone or whatever on this pic ?

funBox

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainOblivious
Id like to point out something to the naysayers...

When it DID land, there were no metal parts to even break off as it was surrounded by balloons...not sheet metal. No other lander or probe has ever landed anywhere near where curiosity did.
In fact, the major theme of Curiosity was to land her where no other human made object has landed.

FYI - Curiosity had no balloons assisting the landing....there's a nice High Def video of the landing sequence on the JPL website.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
That pic is not a joke. It's real. And YES I think that it is a person in suit, boots, helmet and its weapon.

A 12 metres long person lying on the ground?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahxd67
Can you tell me the coordinates where you found that on Mars? Thanks.

It's HiRISE photo PSP_007219_1720.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I'm just pointing out the square angles at works here and because a square does NOT exist in nature.

Yes it does.
Cubic minerals, for one, such as iron pyrites.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

reply to post by DaTroof

Someone is still hunting on Mars...

Ack, you found my ultra super secret hunting grounds!!!! How dare you!!!

It kind of looks like Sarge from Halo.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I don't see anything horned, but what I do see is a statue of a monkey:

*ps: yeah, I know, horrible drawing...*

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This is the one that actually gets to me the most:

Those of you that know me, know that I tend to declare 'rock" right away. However, this image gets my attention.

I know it's not a data problem as it's in two different images from Curiosity:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Midway full right.

and of course Arken's original shot:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Zooming in doesn't help of course....but that's okay. Looking at it while also taking the surrounding rocks and terrain makes me.......take pause.

If it's a rock.....it's a very thin rock (along with the other one in the upper part of the original picture).

To me, it even looks highly reflective. If you look in the picture I posted, it looks like it might actually be reflecting light on to the larger rock looming over it it (the large rock to the left of it...there's a whitish rectangle on it).

I guess we could say that it's just a very shiny, very flat rock.......that just looks very out of place....

But I have to admit that this picture here (out of all the ones I've seen posted by Arken and others) does make me furrow my brow. All the others, nope. Looks like rocks.

This? I don't know what it is, nor am I suggesting that it's alien/human/part of Curiosity, etc, etc, etc.....

But what I am suggesting is.....it's out of place. Does not look like it belongs there at all.

:shrug:

Has anyone bothered to ask JPL? This is SOL 66, so the rover has moved well away from there by now.

But still, this is one instance where I would like to hear them comment on it.
edit on 5-3-2013 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

That pic is not a joke. It's real. And YES I think that it is a person in suit, boots, helmet and its weapon.

A 12 metres long person lying on the ground?

It doesn't look like they're lying down. However, chances are, there's no person there. Interesting photo though.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Seriously people...... someone will find a shape of Elvis yet!

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Yeah, it does appear anomalous.
I was thinking towards some sort of 'salt' deposit, but there is nothing else in that image that lends itself to that so at this stage (as a geologist) it is anomalous.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join