It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jailed hacker signs up for prison computer class. Hacks prison's mainframe...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Public schoolboy hacker who masterminded £15m fraud is put in jail's IT class...and hacks the prison's computer system

One of Britain’s most notorious cyber criminals hacked into a prison computer system from inside jail – after he was allowed to join an IT class.

Nicholas Webber, 21, jailed for five years in 2011 for masterminding a multi-million-pound internet crime site, triggered the security scare during a lesson.

It is understood his actions caused ‘major panic’ but it is not clear what, if anything, he managed to access.

Nicholas Webber started his hacking activity at Bradfield College in Berkshire, where he deleted friends' detentions from school records

Deleting detention records... I like him already!

Lets see, hack into prison's mainframe, edit arrest and prison records, change your release date, let yourself out in a week.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

He was in for selling stolen credit card info. You shouldn't like him at all.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   

it is not clear what, if anything, he managed to access.

So what .. he changed the background color of the website ?

They say he hacked the "mainframe" but don't know what he actually accessed ?

I'm afraid neither source nor story are credible in my opinion. And frankly, since the UK described Gary McKinnon as "hacker" I think the term "hacker" has a slight different meaning in the UK thank it has in my understanding.

Downloading PcAnywhere software and randomly connecting to NASA IP's until you find a PC that has no defense perimeter is not hacking in my books. That's what McKinnon did, and they claim he is some 1337 hacker. Bullpoop.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by gladtobehere

He was in for selling stolen credit card info. You shouldn't like him at all.

way to read right through his sarcasm... by the way, that was sarcasm too, in case you missed it as well.

sounds like the guards/prison staff should have checked what people were in for before allowing computer access...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Yea, the term, "hacker" is very loosely used these days. I recall a guy on ATS openly claimed to be a "hacker"
You don't do that. It means he was an amateur idiot with a computer

Just as computer programming has been dumbed down, so has "hacking".

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom

Yea, the term, "hacker" is very loosely used these days. I recall a guy on ATS openly claimed to be a "hacker"

Why don't you? I know numerous hackers who tell people they're hackers.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Just as computer programming has been dumbed down, so has "hacking".

And how has programming been dumbed down? WTF are you talking about?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

Java.

It's been dumbed way, way down over the years.

IT dumbed down
edit on 5-3-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

They're not hackers, or are idiots.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Perhaps not, but credit where credit is due. No pun intended. Funny old world, if he'd worked for a bank he'd be getting a promotion for stealing other people's money.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

They say he hacked the "mainframe" but don't know what he actually accessed ?

This thread was already hilarious but that sentence has me in hysterics.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

reply to post by GrandStrategy

They're not hackers, or are idiots.

Sounds like someone is claiming to be a "better" hacker without coming out and saying it......

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The definition of computer "hacker" has a few meanings. This is what wikipedia has to say,

"While the self-designation of hobbyists as hackers is acknowledged by all three kinds of hackers, and the computer security hackers accept all uses of the word, people from the programmer subculture consider the computer intrusion related usage incorrect, and emphasize the difference between the two by calling security breakers "crackers""

The "hacker" is the hobbyist programmer and the "cracker" is the one breaking into systems.

"This includes what hacker slang calls "script kiddies," people breaking into computers using programs written by others, with very little knowledge about the way they work"

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Customers arent responsible for charges they didnt make and I dont have much sympathy for credit card companies nor banks.

Sorry

edit on 5-3-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Prison Warden: "Well they say he hacked the mainframe, what did he access?"

Prison Tech officer: " uhhhh sir he accessed uhhhh THE MAINFRAME!"

Prison Warden: DOH!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I bet he did it for the LULZ!

maybe he hacked the mainframe and installed and IRC server on it so that he could chat with his hacker friends in the outside world..

It seems to me he did them a favor by pointing out security flaws in their system..

Just goes to show you how retard these people are to let a computer hacker into a computer class lmao...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Probably just a script kiddie.

H3 Pr0B4blY 5p33x 1N L337 5p33K 42 W3LL. H3'2 4 w4Nn4 B3 h4x0R.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

No. I'm not a hacker. Just a guy with common sense. The laws against hacking into a government or corporate network for the purpose of disseminating confidential information, or disrupting their organization, is far too serious for anyone with an ounce of intellect to openly claim it. The FBI and whoever else would be all over you if they had reason to believe you were a threat to the status quo.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
lol are they really suprised by this??

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I wonder if he was going by the name of TRON and was trying to help the MCP gain access to the mainframe? What are they running there.....AS400's? And the fact this computer lab for prisoners actually had access to the central system is retarded....whomever designed the architecture for their IT infrastructure has probably been relieved of duty recently. Talk about a good excuse for a closed network...what idiot allows these systems on the same network as the rest of the prison?

LOL!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join