It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nine-year-old schoolgirl dives into icy canal to rescue boy from drowning.

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Came across this lovely story on Yahoo, about a young girl who risked her own safety to go to the aid of someone else. Its things like this that restore a little faith back into humanity for me, What a brave little girl she is.

"I ran over to the side of the boat and saw Thomas bobbing around in the water screaming he was going to die.

"I’m quite a good swimmer as I go swimming twice a week so I wasn’t too worried about the cold water, all I remember is me and him grabbing the boat to try and keep ourselves above the water. I was really just concentrating on stopping him from drowning."

I just hope this young lady gets recognized some how, with an award or something,
Well done young lady, you are a inspiration to the rest of us.

uk.news.yahoo.com...
edit on 5/3/2013 by andypb because: Added pic

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
You go girl!!!

Saving a life at nine is one hell of an achievement! Most nine year olds would still be trying to work out what to do. Her parents will never let her forget and neither should they!

P

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Thanks for your reply pheonix358.

She truly is a heroine, and she deserves all the praise she gets.
Its really shows how unselfish she is, she didn't once hesitate to jump in and save the young boy.
And i hope mum and dad gets her a big treat for her bravery.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Maybe that nurse in California who refused to do CPR could take some lessons from this little girl. I am so glad they both made it. A lot of times either both die or the person doing the saving dies. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kaidec

Thanks Kaidec.

It really is a fresh blast of air when i read about people who put themselves in danger to save others.
Especially when the person doing the saving, is a young child like this girl.
The story actually bought a lump to my throat.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Awesome kid !!!

I remember when I was about 7, I was swimming with a cousin of mine, he was wearing a life jacket, way too big for him but I guess his parent thought he would be safe none the less. Anyways, he decided to jump from the diving board and low and behold as he hit the water his life jacket plopped off and he ended up at the bottum of the lake. Well...I didn't realy know how to swim right just yet but since there were only the two of us there. I thopught that I should try to get to him as fast as I could.

Don't ask me how I managed to do this but, I ended up walking on the lake bed, trust me, I'm still a little wierd about that part, like I said, I walked and did so all the way to him, picked him up and carried him back to the shore line. He ended up being more scared than anything and we just didn't go swimming for the rest of that day.

Fast forward about 10 years. I decide to go out with the gang at the community center for some horseback ridding and some swimming. We get to the place and the gordious girls want to go swimming first...Well...Guess what ??? Un little men wanted to go swimming too...LOL....Well here is the scene: A natural whirlpool is formed because we are on the edge of some nice rapids, at the end of these rapids, a nice high water fall and I mean Holy crap this is high.

Us teenagers obviously don't take in to account the dangers since we've gone swimming there before so....About 20 minutes in to the swimming and oogling, yeah yeah...Bikinis and all...Wow were they good looking...LOL...One of the girls dove in to the whirlpool and came out just a little to far out and got caught up in the current. The water is only about 3 1/2 feet deep but the river bed is all jagged edged rocks. She's screeming and trying to get back to shore but just cant do it.

Guess what this hormone filled wanna be did ??? You got it...jumped in like there was no tomorrow and started swimming as fast as I could to reach her. Now...Here is when my brain kind of kicked in and I thought to myself...WTH am I going to do when I get to her ? the next stop is at the bottom of the falls.....

When i got to her, I grabbed her, as hard as I could, talked her down a bit while trying to get to the shore....I can still feel her sof cold fragile skin next to mine...Ohhhh....Hurm hurm..Sorry...ADHD kicked in....anyhoo...As if out of nowhere I can see the top of a rock, it's sticking out about 6 inches but its about 3 feet to my right and closing in real fast.
Again...dont ask me how we got to that rock, we just did and thank geezuss we did cause 6 more feet and we were going for quite the plunge.
Well I positioned her face forward to the rock, straddled my legs arround her and put my hand on the top of the rock to with hold the pressure of the current so she could relax a bit...She was tired.

Someone on the shore called 911, it took a special evac team to get us out of out situation. The firefighter that took us back was giving us crap for swimming there until i told him that I dove in after her to try and save her, you should of seen the guys face...LOL....He was kind of shocked that a long haired punk would do something like that.

Anyhoo....I strongly applaud this little girl for jumping in and getting the kid out....But you know what, sometimes instincts is way stronger than smarts.....well...In my case anyways...LOL

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

Thanks for chipping in Nuke2013, WOW, that was awesome what you did, good on ya.
Guess those hormones came in handy.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Awesome story - what a phenomenal girl she is! I hope our tomorrow(s) have leaders of a new breed - with heart and courage like hers to offer the world b/c we sure need it. She cared for another in need, she had the skill to do something about it and she instinctively knew the right thing to do without having to consult a bunch of 'expert' opinions first. Bravo!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If I was that boy's parents I would be ever grateful to that little girl. His parents need to reward that little girl with something. Maybe the boy's family should raise some money and send her and her family to Disney World.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jella888

What an awesome young girl, we need more unselfish people like her in the world.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Bah, I had saved a few lives by the time I was nine...but never really brought it up much (especially to our parents)...(mostly because we were stupid kids doing things we weren't allowed to be doing in the first place...)... I got someone who had fallen through the ice of a lake, got a few smaller kids down from a cliff where they were trapped (after running from a very upset Kodiak momma bear), and a few other moments that were certainly life threatening for others.

Of course, only now as we are adults, can we share the stories... If my mother knew we went out on that lake, or went into the woods and messed around with cubs, or built homemade weapons out of Lockheed spare parts we "procured" from the compound junkyard, we'd have been in serious trouble....

But seriously, good for her!
Maybe there is some hope for this generation after all!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I would forever be thankful to this young girl if she saved one of mine, she truly is a heroine.
And I'm sure she will be getting spoiled as we speak..urm..type.
And rightly so.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I saved a dog once that was caught in the icy canal, while i was fishing, which was getting trapped between the ice.
And like you say, maybe there is a glimmer of hope for us in the future.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by andypb

what a great human being...and a great kid...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Absolutely, to jump into an icy canal, with no regard for her self is truly an act of bravery.
After reading some of the depressing goings on around the world, its nice to read something positive.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
finally a story about a real hero, i get so tired of reading stories about some slob who spent 4 years in the army sitting behind a desk shuffling papers and then the media labels him as a hero.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

It does make a refreshing change, that's why i decided to post the story.
This young girl is a true hero in my books, and should be treated as such.

Thanks for posting.

top topics

join