It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facility Nurse Watches Patient Slowly Die, Refuses CPR

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Facility Nurse Watches Patient Slowly Die, Refuses CPR

thinkingrightblog.com

87 year-old Lorraine Bayless was enjoying lunch with her friends at the Glenwood Garden senior home in Bakersfield, California when she suddenly lost consciousness and collapsed to the floor. Staff at the facility, including a nurse, immediately rushed to Ms. Bayless’ side and called 9-1-1. Emergency dispatcher Tracey Halvorson answered the 9-1-1 call and immediately assessed that for Ms. Bayless to live someone needed to start CPR immediately. Ms. Bayless did not have a “DNR” or Do Not Resuscitate order and had expressed her interests that the home take life-saving measures to keep h
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
What would you do in such situations?

Even her daughter, a nurse, said she is satisfied with the care provided. Is there something, that our fellow nurses, can elaborate on as far as proper procedure? Is this normal?

Where does the corporate line stop and the humanitarian line begin? Do you go against company policy to keep a human being alive or do you follow corporate protocol?

thinkingrightblog.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-3-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This is deplorable and I think the nurse should be held on murder charges... or at the very least, manslaughter.

Corporate policy or not, humans should not allow another human to die if they have the ability to stop it.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, I saw it this morning on the way to work and emailed it to my wife. It make me sick. What a s* world we live in. It's times like this that brings the whole "this planet sucks" down to earth.....so to speak.

Bloody unbelievable, what is she doing there in the first place.........she is a nurse right?

Crazy, just bloody crazy.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

corporate pressure or not, humans have to draw the line.
i dont know why these people want that job, if thet are capable of standing back

BTW - in the UK... we have a "gateway to death" "scheme"!!! wtf!
without the family knowing, they stop important medicine...and other unhuman elements

ever thought the devils playing with their heads!?

to the nurses:
fix up and remember what your doing... dont let the grind wear you down.. you wear IT down!

peace
edit on 4-3-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This was posted the other day....several times

There are several reasons not to perform CPR on an 87 year old woman who was most likely not in good health.

Originally posted by Hushabye
The patient might have had a DNR. The cpr could have been caused damage to the patients' frail body...broken ribs from chest compressions, etc could have punctured the heart or lungs...or both.

87 years old is a good, long run.

edit on 4-3-2013 by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
She was under STRICT ORDERS to not medically assist these people, they are to CALL 911 and stand by.
THAT IS IT.

She was on duty. She would have lost her job if she provided CPR. I understand a life is more important than her job BUT.. thats how it is

DONT BE MAD WITH HER, BE UPSET WITH HER EMPLOYER!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I stand corrected. There was no mention of a DNR in any of the several articles I read, but, that would (as far I know) be private health information that might not be available to the public/media. Being that it was an assisted living facility and not a long term care facility, I doubt she would have had a DNR (but, could be wrong). A DNR would be more likely in a long term care situation.

It was facility policy that prevented her from helping the woman.
edit on 4-3-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

i agree

i would of said... copy and confirm.. to the message

then used my discretion.... help them "off record"

but thats just me i guess

what the point in having professionals on the ground, and not letting them use their own judgement.

"sorry, computer says no" lol
edit on 4-3-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
She was under STRICT ORDERS to not medically assist these people, they are to CALL 911 and stand by.
THAT IS IT.

She was on duty. She would have lost her job if she provided CPR. I understand a life is more important than her job BUT.. thats how it is

Not only would she have lost her job, she would have opened herself up to a huge lawsuit from the family as well if the women had died anyway.

Like it or not, with the choices this women had- most of us would have done the exact same thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I saw that on the news. The woman who died did not have a DNR. Thats why 911 was called. Just ridiculous that she refused to help save the life of the woman though.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Job or no job guys.............this is just bollocks.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by lothran
This is deplorable and I think the nurse should be held on murder charges... or at the very least, manslaughter.

Corporate policy or not, humans should not allow another human to die if they have the ability to stop it.

Exactly. They charge relatives who opt to sit with their parent once they have made the impossible decision that as the continuing state of their life is deteriorating to such as extent, they have decided to end their life painlessly, while they are still in a position to do so.

Those with them at the time are arrested and charged with assisted suicide. For simply being with their parent or loved one when they decide their time has come.

They should set up cameras and record themselves sitting there saying labouredly "no mum, don't do it. please don't take that medicine. oh no mum, don't drink it. no don't...." showing they tried to stop her, but mocking the very system that mocks them with absurd laws, deigned by sadists and performed under presumed better authority by miscreants in suits and uniforms, to punish them further as they mourn.

That way they can have everyone in authority go "nope, looks legitnoface" and have no reason to prove they're not human...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
The patient likely had a DNR which legally bars anyone from performing CPR.

The nurse was doing her job by not interfering.

Ops not edited so that news clip is pretty clear when it says she had no DNR order.

??

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Job or no job guys.............this is just bollocks.

It's also the same reasoning used by those callous monsters in china who run over people, but rather than face court, just drive off. Unless they're caught on camera...

I couldn't live with myself if I was to just stand by and let someone die if I could prevent it.

man.. wont be long before they start speaking eloi.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I don't know if info about someone's DNR would be publicly available, but, you are right, there was no mention of a DNR.

I edited my original comment after realizing that she wasn't helped due to facility policy, rather than a DNR.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Why do they even have a nurse on staff collecting a pay check if she isn`t allowed to do anything? they could train a monkey to call 911 when someone falls down and the monkey would work for bananas.

That seems like a pretty sweet job for the nurse she collects a salary at the going rate of a nurse and she doesn`t have to do anything except dial 911.

I guess being a nurse is just a pay check to her she isn`t in the profession to help people I think there are a lot of people like that in the world now.
She should probably lose her nursing liscence,i mean if she doesn`t want to help people then she doesn`t need it.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I want to know how brain dead you have to be to care more about your $10 an hour job than the life of another human being? This just blows my mind.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Seriously, speak for yourself. If someone needs aid to save their damn life, to hell with my "job". I'd rather sit there stone faced in front of a judge and tell him I did everything I could than live for the rest of my life knowing I let that woman die. To hell with company policy. People need to stop being such #ing cowards and stand up for whats right.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
THAT IS IT.

Then she is a horrible human being. Horrible boss as well. she has no empathy to stand there and do nothing she is in the field of helping people, why did she become one then. her license should be revoked at least. Shame on her, she is a nurse ffs

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join