It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The listen to all your music challenge!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hi Everyone,

Several months ago I came up with a little challenge for myself....

My music library has maybe 5500 songs roughly (including some audiobooks and rehearsals from my bands etc) and I thought that it would be interesting to go through and put my ipod on shuffle in my car and listen to the tracks one by one.

I started it around late October and i'm close to 1/4 the way through now. The challenge is to listen to every track (unless it's an audiobook or corrupt track etc) without skipping the song if you hate it or something. It's taking a very long time to do it as my round trip to work is around 1hr so i've got a long way to go still.

I've found that sometimes the music will clump together and form some cool mixes and other times I can go from some chilled out song and then have Meshuggah pop up so it is always interesting to see what will be next. I have found some songs on there that I need to remember to delete though and my wife has berated me several times when she's in my car and is forced to listen to some of the tracks haha.

Anyway, I've found it fun as there's been some songs I haven't listened to in ages - they just kinda get pushed back and back as I find new stuff.

Let me know how you go if you decide to take it up

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Be careful...You could drown in categorization
I've never done this the way you are but have always wanted to listen through the whole collection and slot them proper. In the end I end up with "Mood Playlists" Ive been hard at it lately but if someone was footing the bill by hours spent, this I believe, would be one short project.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cruff

That is basically what I do with my 2000 + collection on music.
Shuffle and rediscover some tunes I haven't heard in awhile.
Back in the day you bought a cd or album and listened to the whole thing.
Not anymore,you just pick and choose what song you like.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Geesh, I haven't read the thread.

I was memorized by your avatar.

Looks like my boy and the facial expression, is totally like him.

Thinking maybe they should get together.

edit on 4-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Haha yeah, I have a few playlists for some stuff but I just couldn't be bothered to sit there and make lots of them. Maybe someday

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yeah, that's very true. I generally will listen to a full album when i'm doing other stuff (at the gym etc) but these days most people will just buy tracks they like from a band rather than the whole thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Hahahaha, allow me to introduce Ted then! He's supposedly a German Shepherd X St Bernard but we believe that he is definitely part wookie. The yawny growls he makes are quite unique,very entertaining and definitely Chewbacca-esque. This pic was of him wrestling with a friend's dog - such a great photo haha.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Mine was written down as German Shepard, part Chow. Totally, the attitude of a Chow, Stance of a German Shepard. Sometimes I think he acts like a Statue of the Roman Art.
You can only move him if there is a treat involved.

As for your music.

I can't help you.

But, I love the Avatar. So, I gave you a Star and Flag.

edit on 4-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Cool, sounds like a good mix! Very funny about the treats too. Ted can certainly do that type of behaviour too - especially when he's been laying by the front door for a while and we have to move him at bedtime. Sometimes, I can push him along the floorboards and he won't try and get up haha.

Any pics of your dog?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
For some reason, I thought they always kept the photo up when I deleted them. Hold on.

Here he is

He's more adult now.

That's the day I snagged him from the pound.

His facial expression on the cat tower was priceless.
edit on 5-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Awwwwww! Very cute indeed
I can see the similarities!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Cruff

What's weird, he lost all the cute hair of a chow, and now looks like a German.
Let me go find that one.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Haha funny expression!

Ted has kept his super fluffiness but that's a bad thing as he can shed like crazy - so we have to get him clippered a fair bit.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Mine loves to shed.

I'm afraid to get him tailored at a shop.

Imagine what shears would do to him?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cruff

Yes I sometimes do this with my ipod. I have about 4000 songs on my itunes and 3000 of those on my ipod.

Sometimes when I stop and listen to a track that I might usually just skip, it reminds me of why I downloaded it in the first place.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Sounds like you have a pretty hearty music collection too. I just checked what i'm up to and I haven't hit 1300 yet actually. So, still a long way to go. Today's drive to work didn't bring up many good tracks alas. Made driving a bit less fun!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You would be surprised what they can do with the professional dog shears. Ted has a triple coat so its almost impossible for me to do it at home but they get through it at the groomers. Reminds me, I have to book him in this weekend

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I have a full 80g ipod (9200 songs) and I put it on shuffle all the time. It can get pretty crazy when it does things like jump from funk to grateful dead to bluegrass to blues etc. Though I really can't say I've listened to all the songs on the thing. In fact I have songs on my ipod that I have never listened to before in my life just because I haven't been able to get around to listening to them. Listening to Boombox right now though.

I do love the shuffle feature because it's like my own personal radio station with no commercials and I never have to worry about listening to something I don't want to hear. And at 9200 songs, you end up with a VERY diverse radio station.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cruff

Yeah, Him and I have to book a weekend.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Damn....that is a pretty large stack of music indeed. I don't blame you for not getting through some of your music haha.

I think I am going to have to do a bit of culling with my library as a few dodgy songs have come up lately!

new topics

top topics

join