It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Unconventional Uses for your Dishwasher

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Who could have guessed that the dishwasher could become the new super appliance in the kitchen. But I have to question the efficiency of using that much water and electricity just to cook a simple meal I can cook far faster in my microwave using Zip & Steam bags. But some of the other uses might be helpful. Just beware the danger of fungal invasion. There is already a thread about that HERE and it is scary.

SOURCE

Steam Fish Fillets

The best part about steaming fish in your dishwasher—other than novelty of steaming fish in your dishwasher—is how simple it is. All you need to do is season a cut of your favorite fish, wrap it (tightly!) in aluminum foil, place it in the top rack, and allow it to run through an entire normal cycle. There’s no single recipe that works best; just make sure you wrap it tight enough to keep water out. Also, don’t forget to engage the dry cycle, and for the love of fish don’t load the detergent!

Sterilize Toys and Other Nasty Home Products

Action figures, brushes, dog toys, and even sponges—these are all notoriously filthy items found around the average home, and they can all be washed (more importantly, sanitized) in your dishwasher.

Clean With... Kool-Aid?

It’s ironic that your dishwasher—a machine devoted to cleaning dishware—can itself get dirty. Apartment Therapy recommends using Kool-Aid drink mix (that’s right, Kool-Aid drink mix) to rinse out lime deposits and iron stains. Just empty a packet of the Lemonade flavor into the detergent dispenser and give it a go. As the big guy would say, Ohhhh yeah!

And it doesn't end at just 6 uses. The following is from the comments section below the article.

Back in 1966 I bought a brand new 1966 Chevy Impala tudor hardtop. It came with great looking wire wheel hubcaps. I spent as much time washing the hubcaps as I did washing the car. The third saturday, I got this brilliant idea of popping off my genuine wire wheel hub caps and put them in the dishwasher. Worked great! They came out as clean as like new not to mention the time saved.

I use the dishwasher to clean my removable refrigerator shelves and bins. Works like a charm.

I run all my wicker baskets through the dishwasher about 4 times a year. I skip the drying cycle and let them air dry. I also wash the ceiling fan parts in there as well as sports equipment and daily I wash the sink stoppers on the top rack. Those things can get so nasty. You can also run the air filter from the ventilation over the stove through and let it eat off the grease instead of shredding your fingers trying to scrub it by hand. Would love more details from the guy that washes his clothes in the dishwasher.

edit on 4-3-2013 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I use the dishwasher to clean my removable refrigerator shelves and bins. Works like a charm.

I did that about 2 weeks ago. Everything came out absolutely spotless!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay

The main shelves are too large for my dishwasher, but I am going to try that out for the smaller ones and the bins.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Bad news for anyone hoping to clean their Dalmatians in the dish washer..

Oo

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
i remodel houses and to remove wallpaper from register vents and outlet covers i will run them thru the dishwasher.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is all good motivation to repair/replace my faulty dishwasher.
It's been about 9 months of hand washing and the wifey is starting to make threats.
I

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Good for cleaning baseball caps. Unless they have cardboard in the bill...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Oh I will have to try cleaning he range hood filter that way. What a fabulous idea! I already use it for my dog's Kong toy.

I had read about the kool-aid cleaning technique before, but I have never tried it. I have tried plain vinegar with lemon juice to clean off the soap build-up but it wasn't particularly effective.

Any more ideas? Keep 'em coming!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

The main shelves are too large for my dishwasher, but I am going to try that out for the smaller ones and the bins.

Try removing the top rack inside the dishwasher. I had to do that and it was still a tight fit but it worked.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Me too.

Another use (from a prepper standpoint)....as a Faraday Cage (as can your microwave, your oven, or your fridge).

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Never knew dishwashers could be used this way too. This is a great piece of information. My dishwasher recently started showing some issues and I got it repaired at SOS Appliance Repair, Toronto! Now my dishwasher is perfectly alright. I can't wait to experiment whatever was discussed here!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Nowadays appliance issues are in increasing way. So, every one is in hurry when its appliance or any equipment stop working. For this there is a corporation named "TriStateRepairs" Its purpose is to provide technicians to repair or service every major brand. You can check [gratuitous link removed]

edit on 8/21/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: [gratuitous link removed]

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have to think though, that cooking the fish in there might give the dishes later, a bit of a fishy smell...

top topics

join