It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Short of Being Barcoded

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Heh, I am the same way. I get the sense most people aren't like us though. More and more I get the sense that people *really believe* that they have to have a "job" and "go to work" to be secure. Like they don't realize it is only one means to that end.

I used to think that being "in the system" and "on the grid" was necessary in order to achieve anything or have any security in life. When I became disabled, i became seriously depressed thinking that I would never again contribute anything or be able to take care of myself fully and independently. But I have been finding more and more ways in which I can take care of myself, and I aim to achieve financial independence and true independence, and contribute more to society than I take away from it.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Other then the retailer,who else is using this info?

This information is being collected and compiled from the womb
to the grave, yes for retailers however I have recently come to suspect
that there is something deeper taking place...social profiling for
The State. I was shocked to learn that seven states; Colorodo, Delaware,
Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Massachusetts
have allowd
Bill Gates and The Carnegie Co. to compile a data base on K-12 grade school
childrens sensitive info and this info is going to be then sold.

So much for the advancment of Civil Rights, we are now going backwards.

Put this together with some ot the other current events, and it looks like we
really are going to face a Totalitarian State in the future if something is not done
to turn this back.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Philippines

I'm with you Phil, to hell with all this crap. I've been numbered, bar coded, validated, fluoridated, carbonated, economically inundated, taxed both ways com'n and go'in, fined, confined and consigned by these pencil push'in, gravy grab'n, late start'n, early quit'n, cookie crumble'n, curtain climbing, rug run'in, fish egg suck'in, little lord Font Leroy's for far to long.

@#%$ all of this &*$% !

Yep, just let that reality deal with itself and remove yourself from that environment. It was great for my life at least. Some people are, in my opinion, hopelessly mentally attached/bound to many material things/concepts that they could not survive without long term.

A malleable mind is necessary, and the will to change is a hard leap of faith to take and actually pursue and follow through.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Even though humans have existed for millenia without bar codes. Or credit cards for that matter...

Yes but for some, that survival meant death. Credit, if used wisely, has changed the way our society works, sure, it's a trap and is corrupted like everything else, but without credit......

Your boss might not have been able to start his business
Your parents might never have been able to afford a home

etc etc.

Technology is just that, a tool, it's what we do with it, or allow others to do with it, that matters. Some of you sound pretty hypocritical to sit here at a computer blasting away at your keyboard, posting to a forum on the internet about how bad technology is and how it spells the end of the world.

without this horrible, privacy destroying, technology, you'd have little means or methods at your disposal to find people to discuss things like you do here.

Our "modern" way of life does indeed require some of this technology. We can easily live with out it, that said, those who live without now, would be the first to do without the advancements in technology, most of which come about because of war.

Sure, a hundred or two hundred years ago, farmer Joe didn't have access to a credit card, he just grew food and sold it, case closed.

Cept you are ignoring the fact that farmer joe would be destitute if 1 single growing season failed, without credit.

I hear people lament about facebook, over and over. Ignoring the fact that you opt INTO that service, and they can only mine data you allow to be collected. And let me tell you, your life is not interesting enough to be worried about "them" getting your data. It's all about marketing, and as such, most of the data being used (used, not collected) is stripped of anything other than key demographics.

I hear people lament over smartphones. Mostly those who can't afford one I guess, because all of the scary nasty stuff can, and should be, disabled.

I use technology for work, and pleasure. I guess I'm just keen on understanding it. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to point out the scary road some of this leads towards, but I've also seen technology come and go without many waves or even ripples.

No one is "just short of being barcoded" You have been tracked, from birth, by your government at every milestone in your life. The new systems are integrating. The benefit, a single system requires less overhead, costs less, is easier to maintain, and reduces inter-connectivity problems. The con is that, as with anything, this integration makes it much more worrisome if it's used for nefarious purposes.

So let me pose this question, and no, I'm not in favor of a totalitarian police state.

If the government mandates you be chipped at birth, all tracking systems are integrated, all data is shared between agencies, almost down to real time locational tracking thanks to your phone.

What are you losing? The freedom to commit crimes with a chance to get away with them? Choice? I'm just not sure what exactly would be lost. Do you honestly think the modern governments, at least the western ones, are that close to just flat out becoming tyrannical?

Is it the real issues with this technology that scare you, or is it the perceived issues?

Looking at it from my own standpoint, sure, I'd have a problem with someone tracking me at all times, but outside of me having a problem with it, how exactly would if affect my everyday life negatively? Realistically, I don't see much, ignoring committing crimes of course. I foresee something along the lines of Minority report, annoying targeted ads in real time based on either tracking chips or biometrics.

For example, the latest craze is using facebook or google+ accounts to signup for sites or games, instead of creating seperate accounts for each. The drawback, they can access your data, the plus, a single coherent login system over various platforms with complete transparency to the end user. By going into my settings and disabling the service from accessing my data, I both get to use my facebook to login, and also don't have to worry about them mining my data.

Drawbacks and benefits all over the place when it comes to technology.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Anything to make life more convenient right?

I wish that I had been able to raise my family 50 years ago.
Things are just getting ridiculous at this point. What ever happened to live and let live?

The thing that scares me is that they are only steps away from taking away our personal choices.
The ability to make our own decisions based on how we would like to live. How long before they say that processing your own food at home is illegal? They have already started to destroy peoples gardens.

They change the laws so much anymore and add so many nuances that we are all going to be breaking the law by the standards set by the government and the insurance companies before we know it. Yes, it is some peoples choice to participate in some of these ridiculous regulations, ie homeowners associations, reward programs at the stores, etc, etc, etc. I am guilty of a grocery card myself because we are able to save up enough points to get $1 off per gallon of gas. When gas is close to $4-5 a gallon, it makes a huge difference, especially when I have so far to drive to get anywhere. My grocery card is the only thing that has my name on it that's 'trackable' aside from house bills. Choosing to not have a smart phone or credit card hasn't done much good as they just seem to find other ways to be intrusive. We are being boxed in and it's working.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
There's no verification on most discount cards....

Simply put incorrect info on them, use the discounts, and with no fear of being tracked....

Oh, and pay with cash when you use them.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Just because they have Data doesn't mean its correct.

I went to the emergency room when i got paralysis on my arm. Waited for over 2 hours at the Emergency Room and never got in. So I said the heck with it and left.

The Hospital billed BOTH of my insurances....even though they never saw me.

Sure they've got data........but most of it ain't correct. As smart as they think they are....they don't know squat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join