It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Short of Being Barcoded

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The more our technology advances,the more we are being herded and monitored like a bunch of cattle getting ready for the slaughterhouse.

It all started with this interface we are common to,the computer and the internet.
Cell phones,debit bank cards,even our automobiles.
GPS.
Tracked like wild game in a hunters scope.
And all those rewards cards they want you to sign up for,yeah,you know what that is about.
More tracking.
But by who?
Other then the retailer,who else is using this info?

Your company already knows whether you have been taking your meds, getting your teeth cleaned and going for regular medical checkups. Now some employers or their insurance companies are tracking what staffers eat, where they shop and how much weight they are putting on—and taking action to keep them in line.

Your company already knows whether you've been going for regular medical checkups and getting your teeth cleaned. Now some employers or their insurance companies are monitoring what staffers eat and where they shop. MarketWatch's Christopher Noble reports. (Photo: Getty Images) Companies have a new solution to rising health-insurance costs: Dropping coverage for spouses.

MarketWatch's Jim Jelter reports. (Photo: Getty Images) The goal, say employers, is to lower health-care and insurance costs while also helping workers. Last month, 1,600 employees at four U.S. workplaces, including the City of Houston, strapped on armbands that track exercise habits, calories burned and vital signs, part of a diabetes-prevention program run by insurer Cigna. Some diabetic AT&T T +0.61% employees also use mobile monitors; in September, AT&T also started selling to employers its blood-pressure cuffs and other devices to track wearers 24/7. But companies also have started scrutinizing employees' other behavior more discreetly. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina recently began buying spending data on more than 3 million people in its employer group plans. If someone, say, purchases plus-size clothing, the health plan could flag him for potential obesity—and then call or send mailings offering weight-loss solutions.

online.wsj.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

The problem, kdog, is that the majority of people aren't seeing it as a problem.
Literally, they are inherently getting used to it day after day.
As children become adults, they see more technology pave the way for less privacy.
All in the name of "progress" and "the future".

It's becoming harder and harder to even mention the unnecessary things taking place.
People are beginning to believe they can't live without these things.
And the cronies behind the technology are laughing all the way past the bank to their grave.
We continually fall for the hype, believe the propaganda spewed from the TV.
Believing that without these control mechanisms, we can't exist.
Even though humans have existed for millenia without bar codes.
Or credit cards for that matter...

There will come a time when everyone in America will have a choice.
What's more important? Material things or living self-sufficiently?
We need stronger communities with helping hands that ALL stand up against this.
We all need to come together as a unit and decide our own future.
Not allow "them" to dictate what we can/cannot do.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

I ,for one,I'm waiting on the breaking point.
Occupy did little more than cause a little discomfort for awhile and little education to the public.
You know,just another hippie movement that faded away.

It drives me crazy the people I know that are so pleased with the cards these retailers hand out in exchange for personal info for small deals on food and gas.
Like giving my dog a treat for obeying me with my command to sit.
Sit and behave like good little sheep.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Dear kdog1982,

I gave you and F&S; but, I also have to say that the information on the vast majority of us is never analyzed or reviewed. We just are not that interesting. The federal government does not have the time nor do they care about everyone who talked about smoking weed on their phone. The people that really misuse the information are the people who you know you are giving it to, they are the ones that sell your information so that you can be marketed to. Just my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear kdog1982,

I gave you and F&S; but, I also have to say that the information on the vast majority of us is never analyzed or reviewed. We just are not that interesting. The federal government does not have the time nor do they care about everyone who talked about smoking weed on their phone. The people that really misuse the information are the people who you know you are giving it to, they are the ones that sell your information so that you can be marketed to. Just my thoughts.

Thank you,AQuestion for your input.
And you are right ,in a sense that the individual is not closely monitored,but more the general population and trending what we are doing.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I am aware that there are a lot of privacy and discrimination issues involved as access to information increases. There are also a lot of big global issues growing with population, resources and environmental concerns creating problems. If there is to be any hope of the Earth sustaining a large population and not falling into environmental degradation or civilization collapse then we must become better at using the resources we have, this is where all this growing information does help.

Sure there are a lot of issues and concerns when your employer gets to decide just how big your next meal will be as the profit motive tries to maximise your productivity, which generally relates to your overall health but may have some exceptions. There are also bound to be many more similar and intrusive issues that need to be worked through. When looking at the alternatives it is not promising. One good thing with all this information expansion is that there is not just a single eye watching and directing it all, but many.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It all started one day millennia ago, in a land long forgotten where a people long gone said.

"How can we know who is who?"

and gave someone a name.

If names were invented today, everyone would be up in arms !

"Why do they need to KNOW who I am? Who says I need to be called something. I refuse to accept this intrusion by your prying big brother eyes."

and we'd all get along only know to each other by what sort of dog we own.

So.. what do we do, internets.. what do we do..

My silly mobile phone doesn't even have a music player. it just makes calls. what a novelty.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
It all started one day millennia ago, in a land long forgotten where a people long gone said.

"How can we know who is who?"

and gave someone a name.

If names were invented today, everyone would be up in arms !

"Why do they need to KNOW who I am? Who says I need to be called something. I refuse to accept this intrusion by your prying big brother eyes."

and we'd all get along only know to each other by what sort of dog we own.

So.. what do we do, internets.. what do we do..

My silly mobile phone doesn't even have a music player. it just makes calls. what a novelty.

I'm basically a captive with a few guns.
And a little more aware than the average joe.
And we can speak up about it...........

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Just short of barcoded is right, good topic. From over here in a place I purposely put myself in, any time I choose to visit "civilization" I have to concern myself with stupid petty things like:

- Passports/Visas/Border control (land ownership.. lol)
- Social Security
- Taxes
- Police
- Drivers License
- Registered Gun owners
- Proof of Insurance
- Bank information / credit info / payment
- Serialized physical money
- Cell phone (they weren't around growing up, but now it's a ball and chain)
- Bills
- CCTV cams
- Anything else with your name on it and debt attached, which is tracked electronically (and the things you mentioned as well.)

I am still fed up with it and chose not to live that way as much as I can. The government doesn't really need a barcode, they are tracking enough to know enough about a population. If the Gov. wants to go after individuals, it is easy enough if you're signed up to one of the things listed above, among many more.

A barcode would probably centralized/consolidate an individuals list of tracking info under one number/record. I think we're there already, maybe the SS# is the barcode but the people need to be propaganda'd to accept it first.

Great post, S+F =)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

I'm with you Phil, to hell with all this crap. I've been numbered, bar coded, validated, fluoridated, carbonated, economically inundated, taxed both ways com'n and go'in, fined, confined and consigned by these pencil push'in, gravy grab'n, late start'n, early quit'n, cookie crumble'n, curtain climbing, rug run'in, fish egg suck'in, little lord Font Leroy's for far to long.

@#%$ all of this &*$% !

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

One man put it best....
George Carlin....

edit on 4-3-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

We have no rights,just temporary privileges.
edit on 4-3-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

The problem, kdog, is that the majority of people aren't seeing it as a problem.
Literally, they are inherently getting used to it day after day.
As children become adults, they see more technology pave the way for less privacy.
All in the name of "progress" and "the future".

Spot on havok.

One such way for this is imo the program Big Brother and the all seeing eye,it desensitises people especially the young to the very thought of being continually watched and monitored,which is international.

From..
Africa
Albania
Arab World
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada (English)
Quebec (French)
Colombia
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Ecuador
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Cyprus
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Israel
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
Nigeria
Norway
Pacific Region
Peru
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Scandinavian Peninsula
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand
Ukraine
United Kingdom
United States
en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)

Kinda funny they even call them programs

Scary though, when one thinks of NWO, One World Gov or system.

But I know its just fun and games nothing to see here,must get back to the TV.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I'm with you Phil, to hell with all this crap. I've been numbered, bar coded, validated, fluoridated, carbonated, economically inundated, taxed both ways com'n and go'in, fined, confined and consigned by these pencil push'in, gravy grab'n, late start'n, early quit'n, cookie crumble'n, curtain climbing, rug run'in, fish egg suck'in, little lord Font Leroy's for far to long.

@#%$ all of this &*$% !

randyvs you sound very similar to our Australian bushranger outlaw Ned Kelly who was hanged in 1880 and didn`t like how the establishment treated him either,he wrote...

Kelly’s happy hatred of the police was given full expression in his ‘Jerilderie Letter’ (written to put his side of the story to the press and public), where he outlined cases of police corruption and called on corrupt policemen to resign. In his letter, he called police officers..

‘a parcel of big ugly fat-necked wombat headed big bellied magpie legged narrow hipped splaw-footed sons of Irish Bailiffs or english landlords’…

Nice one Ned!
incubusblog.wordpress.com...

Now thats the spirit!

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Splaw footed.? Is that for real ? I've never seen nor heard the word splaw ever ! I hope you don't mind I plan to make heavy use of here in the states.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

That's why I try to be as unplugged as I can. I don't have a cell phone. No cable, no satellite dish, no antenna. When I use my bank card it's at my branch only. But I'm sure they're doing a good job keeping tabs on us using only the internet. We might not be directly monitored but our info is somewhere.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I have an unregistered pre-pay mobile phone. This phone plugs into my laptop and provides my internet access.
I pay everything in cash, including utility bills. I even refuse to provide my details when paying parking tickets to the local authority, reminding them that it is not a legal requirement, just that payment for the penalty charge relating to the vehicle is needed. They also 'refuse' cash as well, but a senior manager always backs down and accepts my money after I remind them of their duty.
I'm in no way invisible though, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (UK Tax department) know where I live and like a good little worker bee I complete my tax return with payment on time each year, they in turn tend to leave me alone.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you are an employee you are an owned commodity. You are an investment, nothing more. I hope nobody is surprised the lengths companies will go to to refurbish their humanstock in the name of lower overhead/higher profits.

"...another day older and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go,
I owe my soul to the company store."

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

If this was the "norm" for the world, I would let it/ make it burn.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsok
If you are an employee you are an owned commodity.
I think it is more down to perception. I am self-employed these days but have been an employee over the years, and have always been aware of my choice to continue working for someone else. I've walked from jobs where I wasn't happy, no-one has ever owned me in the sense I see your comment refer to.
Life situation may make it more difficult for some to immediately change their situation, but ulimately it is a personal choice to remain in any employment, otherwise you are a slave.
I have made my life situation financially much worse on ocassion by resigning prematurely, but my sense of freedom is more important than fear and gratitude for the coin in exchange of my labour.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

It takes time, preparation to go off the grid.

Something I am constantly working on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join