It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Air Cars Really Practical?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Introducing the PAL-V One

This air car is being produced by a company in the Netherlands. The Pal-V is touted as being as roadworthy as a motorcycle and can travel 750 mile on a tank of gas. It also has a max road speed of 112 mph.

This air car looks nice as long as it stays on the road.

The PAL-V One can also travel about 250 miles in the air, as an auto-gyro aircraft, at a cruise speed of about 100 mph. It can carry a payload of about 230 lbs. That’s one person and a knapsack.

This is an aerial image from their pre-production model.

This is a great concept but taking into consideration the legality of landing and taking off from anywhere except an airport tends to defeat the purpose of owning one unless a pilot wants to forgo airport parking fees and drive it to the garage at the house. I could think of better things to spend $300,000 on.

Another popular model, The Terrafugia.

This one has fixed wings that fold up so a pilot can drive on the road. It also has a range of about 750 miles at 65 mph.

After lowering the wings The Terrafugia is capable of flight. It has a range of about 425 miles and an air cruise speed of about 105 mph. and can carry 460 lbs. Even though it has a safety system that brings the entire aircraft down by parachute, still looks like a deathtrap. Also, the hefty price tag of $279,000.

Very nice concepts but does anyone see much in the way of practicality for cars that can fly? I am not a pilot but can anyone just drive into an airport and takeoff or land at an airport and leave by way of the nearest road? With DHS at most every airport in the US there could be difficulties with this.
edit on 4-3-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Very impractical, still wouldn't mind one though

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I like the concept. Just keep it on the ground.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I had thought about wanting to own one, also. If I had the .uh....Bread? After doing some research and finding out the multitude of local rules and regulations concerning aircraft landings and takeoffs. I consider it a bad idea. There are some though that might find it practical, but not many. Makes me wonder why they are being considered for production.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by eManym
Introducing the PAL-V One

Very nice concepts but does anyone see much in the way of practicality for cars that can fly? I am not a pilot but can anyone just drive into an airport and takeoff or land at an airport and leave by way of the nearest road? With DHS at most every airport in the US there could be difficulties with this.
edit on 4-3-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

Yes anyone can use any airport if you have the proper radio capability. And the DHS is not at many airports (hrough the TSA)s, only those with scheduled air carrier traffic. There are over1400 airports in the US. Less than a third of those have a TSA presence. And there is no FAA regulation that requires an aircraft to take off or land at an established airport. The local cops may frown on using a state road, but the feds won't care.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Ahh I can do that in _javascript.

Nothing to it

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I could see some use for those who have huge agro-operations maybe....
They have been combining ars and planes since they invented them....
Its a dream of generations...though the world has changed to the point where they arent really all that practical.
Other countries like Russia could use a few maybe...

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yeah.....

Not to sound arsey or anything, but what has got to do with Web Design?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
This post was made under web design because of an oversight and I can't change it. It is my first ATS thread. It should have been posted under science and technology.
edit on 19-3-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

top topics

join