It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sequester, Obamas Pearl Harbor

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Southern Guardian

it was the easiest way to punish American’s who disagree with him as well as the military. There will be more to come...wait for it!

What did he do to punish Americans who disagreed with him and the military? Are they not still working on the sequester?
abcnews.go.com...

I'm curious about your comment that he is punishing in particular the military. What's Obama doing to the Military again? I for one hope no deal gets passed between the Repubs and Dems, and I hope the automatic cuts kick in across the board, because as painful as it will be, it will be necessary. Cuts need to be made across the board.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Oh really, so you'd be of the opinion that the United States has not modernized her military? What does having a bloated military budget that assumes close the half the world's defense expenditure have to do with modernizing? hmm? If we cut our military budget in half, would this make our military any less modern? Or would we still have a far more modern military and larger budget than other countries?

In HALF??

That would make us speak Chinese.

The last time I checked, our military budget in total was about $700 billion. The European Union amounted to a military budget of $280 billion.

And last time I checked, the EU was NO SUPERPOWER by any stretch of the imagination. Why do so many aspire to be like Europe? You do realize our ancestors broke from that mess because it sucked, right?

It's fairly apparent to most folks that the military needs to be cut, why don't you stop targeting the poor for all of America's ills and wake the hell up to the corporate military shills who have helped grow our debt to this point.

I agree that spending needs to be reined in across the board. You seem to be of the mindset that there is a goldmine in the defense budget and you’re licking your lips like Obama about how that money can be spent elsewhere…at least that’s how you come across.

When has the government EVER cut big programs and not spent it elsewhere?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Oh really, so you'd be of the opinion that the United States has not modernized her military?

NO take a good look at those weapon systems most over over 30 years old some even over 50.

What does having a bloated military budget that assumes close the half the world's defense expenditure have to do with modernizing?

It's only bloated for to those who know nothing about defense pay wal mart prices you will have a wal mart military.

The last time I checked, our military budget in total was about $700 billion.

Last time I checked we spend over 2,2 trillion on entitlements thats the case we should have the smartest most successful country in the world with zero debt.

Hardly the case.

The European Union amounted to a military budget of $280 billion.

I don't care the simple fact is why europe spends so little is because they outsource their security to the US as with most countries in the world.

It's fairly apparent to most folks that the entitlement programs needs to be cut, why don't you stop targeting the poor for all of America's ills and wake the hell up to the corporate welfare shills who have helped grow our debt to this point.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I'm curious about your comment that he is punishing in particular the military. What's Obama doing to the Military again?

Out of ALL the wasteful, crony programs and corporate projects going on, the single largest cut of the sequester (always the biggest target of the democrats) is in defense spending.

Don’t be naïve. You know that’s always been the goal of the left!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by SPECULUM

If Obama needed to pull a military stunt in order to get his way in the sequester, what kind of military stunt would that be? In my opinion, any military stunts, false flags, will only serve the agendas of those who hold a military agenda, it does nothing in the way of what the Democrats want through the budget. Maybe Obama wants to invade Iran? But then again he has not appear all that interested in Israel's issues with them.

It has nothing to do with either side of the isle...lets take a look at what Hitler did once he was firm footed into his comfort zone.....he killed everyone that could stop him or prevent him from gaining dictatorship.

I believe Stalin and Mao did similar things as well. The man clearly stated he wasn't a dictator, yet so did every other dictator....The man clearly has designs on your bride, LADY LIBERTY, and hes not backing off until he has her on her knees

Any military stunt he would pull would be directly with a foreign enemy superpower to do the most destruction and bring this country down once and for all.

I think Nostradamus had something to say similarly about this
edit on 4-3-2013 by SPECULUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I'm curious about your comment that he is punishing in particular the military. What's Obama doing to the Military again?

Out of ALL the wasteful, crony programs and corporate projects going on, the single largest cut of the sequester (always the biggest target of the democrats) is in defense spending.

Don’t be naïve. You know that’s always been the goal of the left!

What they will never admit is those social programs are corporate projects raise taxes,gut defense so the poor can go out and buy more corporate products!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

That would make us speak Chinese.

China's military budget is around $130 billion, compared to $350 billion, so I don't see why you need to be scared? Have you been watching red dawn? Are they going to invade all these countries the minute we cut into our budget? Do you know that the Chinese military is also far behind in terms of modernization when it comes to the United States?

You're not making a good case.

And last time I checked, the EU was NO SUPERPOWER

Exactly what is our responsibility as a superpower? Is it our responsibility to police the world? Because it should not be our responsibility. Considering as well that the EU consists of 3 powers alone, The United Kingdom, France, Germany, and other minor powers like Italy and Spain. Considering as well that their population is nearly double ours, they are not far behind the influence that we hold. Yet, you're scared that we'd only be $100 billion ahead of them in military spending?

You seem to be of the mindset that there is a goldmine in the defense budget

Uh, have you checked the military budget lately? Have you seen how it stacks up against other Federal expenses and other foreign military budgets? It might as well be a goldmine.

When has the government EVER cut big programs and not spent it elsewhere?

Agreed. So I'd assume you'd agree with me that cutting into social programs alone won't be much of a solution either, if we continue to throw more billions into the defense budget?

The needs be cuts on both sides and less spending.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

China's military budget is around $130 billion,

How did you come up with that figure?

Considering the Chinese industry is state owned that figure is far too low,.

Never mind figured it out when they have their very own slave force the cost would be lower.
edit on 4-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Wasn't the Bush/Cheney era supposed to be the end of America?

I remember the countless threads about it while they were in office.

Didn't really happen though.

My only question is this, after Obama serves his term and moves on, who will you attribute the coming doom of America to next?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

China's military budget is around $130 billion, compared to $350 billion, so I don't see why you need to be scared?

Not scared…realistic. What we lack in troops strength we make up for in tech, and you want to cut that in half. Do you know China has almost double the amount of troops we have and 6 times as many able bodies to wage war???

Exactly what is our responsibility as a superpower? Is it our responsibility to police the world?

No, our responsibility (the responsibility of the federal government) is to protect the American people. I’d like to stay on top of the military food chain so we don’t have to fight a war.

Uh, have you checked the military budget lately? Have you seen how it stacks up against other Federal expenses and other foreign military budgets? It might as well be a goldmine.

So you think we’ll eliminate debt by cutting defense spending??

Very naïve! Obama and the corrupt A-holes in DC have plans for that money…it won’t benefit you or me when we’re dead!

Agreed. So I'd assume you'd agree with me that cutting into social programs alone won't be much of a solution either, if we continue to throw more billions into the defense budget?

The needs be cuts on both sides and less spending.

Agreed!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I believe that the 50+trillion that's hidden off shore, is the finance for the new regime after the total collapse of the economy and the restructuring of Obama's regime.

I hear Middle eastern music playing as the peasants in white robes, on their stomach's preying to their almighty Obama, they're Savior, their Kwisatz Haderach

Seriously

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Not scared…realistic. What we lack in troops strength we make up for in tech, and you want to cut that in half. Do you know China has almost double the amount of troops we have and 6 times as many able bodies to wage war???

Let me put this into more of a perspective for you. China has a 2 million man standing army, we have about 150k.

China has the ability to draft all able bodied men and increase that infantry size to 200 million. Any factory build in China must follow specifications to quickly be flipped to produce a wartime product. It is a requirement.

The only thing not scary is that they have no way to transport troops at that level which means that unless you are Russia or Indochina you really don't have anything to fear.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

NO take a good look at those weapon systems most over over 30 years old some even over 50

Hold on, so we've been spending an average of $600 to $700 billion a year on the military over the last 10 years. That means we've spent atleast what? $6 trillion on our military over the last 10 years, far more than any other nation, close to half the world's military budget, and you're sitting here telling me that our weapons systems are 30 years out of date and we need to continue spending this much? Does this argument make sense to you?

If this was even the case, then it'd be fair to say that there needs have to be a review of the people managing the military and how we have structured the military right? Because clearly it would not be cost effective if this was the case.

It's only bloated for to those who know nothing about defense

At least I know the definition of defense. Here, I'll share it with ya:

resistance against attack; protection

dictionary.reference.com...

At what point do we draw the line on what is enough "defense" Neo? I look at the billions we spend in military aid to Pakistan and Israel, I look at the fact we have more than 10 american military bases in Germany alone. You don't have to be an expert on military matters to understand that something is wrong with our spending.

Last time I checked we spend over 2,2 trillion on entitlements

Yep, and we can cut into those too.

In order for these cuts to work, it can't be defense alone. No no, this needs to be across the board, and I'm sure there are solutions we can work out in cutting down these costs.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Wasn't the Bush/Cheney era supposed to be the end of America?

I remember the countless threads about it while they were in office.

Didn't really happen though.

My only question is this, after Obama serves his term and moves on, who will you attribute the coming doom of America to next?

Bush and chewy weren't Muslims nor did either one of them have fathers that were communists

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Sorry should have said this earlier:

They cry about the cost of defense spending after working so hard for "living wages" and then they say we are spending too much!!!

Guarantee at least half of weapon system cost is labor, and a large part of defense spending is labor and benefits.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Hold on, so we've been spending an average of $600 to $700 billion a year on the military over the last 10 years.

Then that would mean after 10 years of spending 2 trillions on entitlements we would have 20 trillion.

far more than any other nation,

The point is?

We spend more on everything than everyone else.

and you're sitting here telling me that our weapons systems are 30 years out of date and we need to continue spending this much? Does this argument make sense to you?

Yeah makes sense to me as those systems get older the more is its going to cost of course inflation comes in to play, outsourcing comes in to play, regulation comes in to play because all those systems are made with other materials that increase in cost per year.

At least I know the definition of defense. Here, I'll share it with ya:

And others know what the constitution says:

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

At what point do we draw the line on what is enough "defense" Neo? I

That line doesn't exist altho some think it does anyone who think they can put a dollar amount on that?

Well is inviting disaster

I don't put a price tag on the US service man's life.

n order for these cuts to work, it can't be defense alone. No no, this needs to be across the board, and I'm sure there are solutions we can work out in cutting down these costs.

State of the art cutting edge technology is going to cost money there is no if ands or buts about that if people want all those others things the love so freaking much there has to be defense spending.to "ensure that domestic tranqulility".

edit on 4-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
No, but I hope the military budget gets destroyed.......Won't happen unfortunately......
Are you serious? Are you an american?
edit on 5-3-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

You've heard about the BRAC right? It is a slow process but nevertheless, its legitimate consolidation and realignment of US bases. It is not that easy as pulling the plug and shifting the entire base operations and inventory across the pond back to US. Many local economies depend upon the bases overseas not just for employment but commerce as well. You know about DLA right? Just the way the bases were established gradually, they will be re-aligned/consolidated gradually. Generally there is a 10 to 15 year cycle when the BRAC activities are authorized and felt such as base closure and/or re-alignment.

BRAC
DLA

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

You've heard about the BRAC right? It is a slow process but nevertheless, its legitimate consolidation and realignment of US bases. It is not that easy as pulling the plug and shifting the entire base operations and inventory across the pond back to US. Many local economies depend upon the bases overseas not just for employment but commerce as well. You know about DLA right? Just the way the bases were established gradually, they will be re-aligned/consolidated gradually. Generally there is a 10 to 15 year cycle when the BRAC activities are authorized and felt such as base closure and/or re-alignment.

BRAC
DLA

Just like they did in the US right???

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
There needs to be cuts across the board, defense included. I am a veteran too. I know what it is like to be deployed overseas in a combat zone, but we are just spending WAY too much and it is all being mismanaged and wasted. Why is the defense budget so high and yet a soldier can qualify for government assistance in addition to his pay from the government? I'll tell you why, it's because most of that money is going to military contractors so that they can pay $5000 a month tax free to a bus driver who shuttles soldiers around a FOB (I talked to the bus driver when I was in Iraq to see how much he made).

In addition to the cuts across the board, we also need to audit EVERY federal agency, program, department, etc. The waste is across the board, when a department buys a bunch of useless junk at the end of the fiscal year so that they can maintain or receive a greater budget than last year, it says too much about the waste. I bet if we were to seriously audit our government then we could make some very real, workable cuts to government spending.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join