It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Irrational Phobias a Hint of Past Lives?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Not if the phobia can be traced to early childhood.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Although I don't have any strange phobias of my own, or atleast as far as I know I don't have any. I really enjoy reading about theories that have ideas connected to reincarnation and I am open to the thought that reincarnation COULD be real. All in all, good post. It really got me thinking.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened
Not if the phobia can be traced to early childhood.

Yes, some phobias can be traced to events in childhood. But not all.....those are the ones I'm talking about.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Well that probably goes further into the problem of why past lives is a silly idea that probably isn't true. Because there have been an estimated 100 billion people to ever live, and only 7 billion people alive now. One would imagine if past lives were actually real, we probably would be terrified and fearful of everything in your theory.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I don't think there's any point bringing reason and logic to threads like this. I already tried and was overlooked.

I guess rational scientific explanations aren't fun and mystical enough.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I have an extreme phobia of house fires. I don't mind fire in general, we go camping and I love to watch the flames dance. But I do have a fear of house fires, so much so that at times I can act irrationally. I've had this fear all my life, even though I've never been in a fire, nor do I know anyone who has been in a fire. (Strangely enough, my husband, son, and I had just moved into a new house....about three months later, our old house burned to the ground).

What say you, ATS.

I lost everything I ever owned to a house fire on July 1, 2007.

It's a completely rational fear.
When people talk about having nothing, that's it, I had a hotel room, which I went to high school from for months.
A couple shirts, a couple pairs of pants and a computer.
Now i'm back where I was sort of just missing all the priceless things I once had.

You never think in the moment just how valuable the most meaningless things are to you until you're watching your house burn.

While it's not something I fear, it's something i'd like to avoid forever.

What I do fear is NEEDLES. People laugh at me for it, but they don't understand.
I don't fear much of anything else but that. I had more surgeries then you can imagine when I was a kid.
And one thing that I never forgot was the pain, I don't know why I associate it with the needles though, but there you go.

As for past life? Well, i've had a few clues left in dreams as to what my potentials were.
Ancient Egypt or World War 2 have the strongest feelings for me. But no fears that I know of from those.
edit on 6-3-2013 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm currently reading The Big Book of Reincarnation : Examining the Evidence That We Have All Lived Before by Roy Stemman. It's goes into the many cases in which past life experience seems to be linked to unexplained phobias.... and more importantly, how often past life regression therapy tends to work wonders at eliminating them!

For me (being a pragmatic person) whether reincarnation is true or not, or whether the memories one accesses are true or products of imagination, is irrelevant if it has a beneficial effect!

In many cases, just bringing up and talking about the past life experience one time made the phobias disappear completely ever after!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I don't like spiders, but I think that's a learned phobia. None of the females in my family can stand spiders. When you grow up hearing your mom and grandmother scream whenever they see a spider, I guess you develop that fear, too.

Not scared of snakes at all.

But I see your point, and it makes sense.

Sorry I missed your post earlier

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Well that probably goes further into the problem of why past lives is a silly idea that probably isn't true. Because there have been an estimated 100 billion people to ever live, and only 7 billion people alive now. One would imagine if past lives were actually real, we probably would be terrified and fearful of everything in your theory.

If you dismiss past lives as a silly idea, then I question whether you're open-minded enough to consider the question.

No insult meant, and you may be right. But this thread assumes reincarnation as a possibility.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LipstickMystic

Ha! Followed the link you posted : How to remember past lives
Not exactly a phobia, for me, maybe a phobia my friends had of me!

When I was in middle school, I would con my friends into helping me do parts of Shakespeare plays.....one spring break we actually did "King Lear", wrapped in sheets and various other improvised costumes!

Someone mentioned childhood trauma as a cause for phobias......the only trauma I had prior to my fears of bridge collapse, was falling off the bed and breaking a collar bone at 9 months of age. Didn't have a fear of falling out of bed as a kid, tho. Nor a fear of heights,loved to climb trees and play in the barn loft.....just hated the bridges!

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

One cannot ever assume the irrational or improbably, nor that which reveals a lack of forethought.

I am open minded, but I am also mature and wise. Once you use open mindedness as an excuse to consider the possibility of, say, aliens impregnating you when you have a perfectly human baby, one cannot deny the fact that you have gone well past the bounds of open mindedness and gone into the realm of delusion.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I also think that people who fear to take responsibility(especially for making big decisions related to oneself and people around) as well as people who like to procrastinate and/or be fickle-minded, may be due to something that happened in one's past life, where he made some big decisions confidently and in the end, he not only failed him/herself, but failed others and caused disappointments for him/herself and others......

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

My 19 month old grandson has extreme phobia of elevators.
He's not afraid of anything else. Where these fears come fron is bizarre.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I have a Question, as you might know Dr ian stevenson studies the birthmarks of reincarnated people and then correlates those birthmarks with how they died in the past life.

I was wondering whether there was any evidence of tribal markings like maybe thats the reason why tribes mutilate their body in some way so they can recognize themselves in the past life?
Or how about tattoos ?
Or do the injuries have to be traumatic in nature to reincarnate. ?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I think I drowned in a previous life. I hate water when I can't see the bottom.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join