It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Irrational Phobias a Hint of Past Lives?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

I was thinking this morning about my strange phobias, wondering how I came about them. So I did a little reading about phobia development, and the short answer is no one knows what causes certain phobias.

Which got me to thinking...what if unusual phobias are simply memories from a past life? Of course, that's assuming reincarnation is real.

For example. I have an extreme phobia of house fires. I don't mind fire in general, we go camping and I love to watch the flames dance. But I do have a fear of house fires, so much so that at times I can act irrationally. I've had this fear all my life, even though I've never been in a fire, nor do I know anyone who has been in a fire. (Strangely enough, my husband, son, and I had just moved into a new house....about three months later, our old house burned to the ground).

What say you, ATS.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Hmm that is a very interesting hypothesis... ASSUMING reincarnation is real, you are basically saying that there is some residual that remains in your conscious even after you are given a new body? Fascinating approach...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Maybe in one of your past lives you died in a house fire???

Thinking about it I don't have any phobias is that normal?
Oh and how are you chickabee? hope you are fandabbadose

edit on 4-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

I don't know. There are a lot of "ifs" in this theory.

But. If part of ourselves does remember, even on a subconscious level....perhaps irrational phobias develop?

Perhaps I died in a house fire in a previous life.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

No phobias?

Gosh, let me give you some of mine. I'm terrified of things getting near my eyes...they have to dope me to the gills just so I can get my eyes examined.

I also have a fear of spiders. Nothing needs eight legs, I'm sorry.

And I'm grand, my friend. It's great seeing your cute little monkey face!

link   

No phobias?

Gosh, let me give you some of mine. I'm terrified of things getting near my eyes...they have to dope me to the gills just so I can get my eyes examined.

link   

No phobias?

link   
A triple post???

link   

I mean if I believed in reincarnation then I would think that would be a pretty plausible explanation. Ok so let's relate this to other things... What about genetics? Maybe phobias can be passed down to offspring, is anyone in your family that you know of afraid of fires, houses, or house fires?

What about subliminal messaging... Are there any tv shows that you watch that stick out in your mind when it comes to fire? I know my family used to watch the old show called emergency which commonly displayed house fires... If that was the case for you there could be some tie I'd assume...

Hmm..

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

TP? Which one should I star... so many choices... Hmm

Anyway, I was listening to shuffle on itunes and funnily enough this bit by Jerry Seinfeld popped up and I think it is totally relevant so I will share. (I could only find a small part of the bit, but this is the meat of it anyway)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I have often wondered this myself, even though I'm not fully sold on reincarnation, just yet. I have to say, I'm coming to believe in it more and more.

My sister and I have an irrational fear of tall concrete objects, whether it be excessively tall concrete utility poles, water towers, bridges, etc. We're not scared of going OVER bridges, but take us under one and we both freak the hell out. I didn't know she shared the same phobia until we went under a very large bridge together once and we were both about to lose it, lol. She said she had feared large concrete objects since she was a child. So have I. So who knows.

I think this is an interesting topic so S&F for starting it!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twix404

I mean if I believed in reincarnation then I would think that would be a pretty plausible explanation. Ok so let's relate this to other things... What about genetics? Maybe phobias can be passed down to offspring, is anyone in your family that you know of afraid of fires, houses, or house fires?

What about subliminal messaging... Are there any tv shows that you watch that stick out in your mind when it comes to fire? I know my family used to watch the old show called emergency which commonly displayed house fires... If that was the case for you there could be some tie I'd assume...

Hmm..

Some scientists argue it is "cell memory" that was passed to us by our ancestors that gives us memories of past lives. But that has been proven to not be the case.
In one case study I read about this person who remembered a past life as a woman that didn't have any children, and she remembered more lives prior to, and, after that one. If it was cell memory, she wouldn't have been able to remember the life of the woman with no children because there was nobody to pass the cell memory to concerning that lifetime.

To Smyleegrl,

Absolutely it can come from past-life memories.
I have read case study after case study (sorry, I don't remember the names of the books) where people with phobias were regressed to a past life and found the reason for their fear. Once they realized it came from an experience carried over into this life, they were cured.

I could find these books, maybe, when I have time to look. If you would like to read them, let me know. I'll dig them out of the hundreds I have packed away.

I've had a fear of bridges and flying all my life. I'm convinced I died in a plane crash previously. I must have went off a bridge in one of them too.

S&F!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
While I believe in reincarnation(the idea of just living just one life then you go to heaven or hell forever seems pretty stupid to me), I feel the scientific rationale makes sense.

Something happens to you as a small child, before you form lifelong memories, and that causes the fear.
For example, someone mentioned fear of large concrete objects. Maybe you fell on concrete, and/or walked into a concrete wall and hurt yourself?

Of course, what you, OP, are saying makes sense too.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
For your thread:

Have a look at 13 pages of member's phobias and it might give a little insight to your question.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Great thread BTW.

Peace

edit on 4-3-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I've given that consideration to my phobia about anything tight around my neck and I won't even wear a watch. I'm thinking I was hung in a previous life. Maybe shackled as well. I truly freak out on tight collars.

How heinous to think I might have been beheaded.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
...what if unusual phobias are simply memories from a past life? Of course, that's assuming reincarnation is real.

As you - if I have lived as another individual in the history of this planet (or any other) - I don't know it...
But, on account of what I've witnessed in pets, I have some strong suspiscions in these regards.
One pet - from the time she was a puppy, has had an "almost uncontrollable" terror of garbage trucks. She is now a few months from 6 years old, and continues to go into something resembling hysterics every time she hears (or thinks) the "trash truck" is coming...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
I've given that consideration to my phobia about anything tight around my neck and I won't even wear a watch. I'm thinking I was hung in a previous life. Maybe shackled as well. I truly freak out on tight collars.

Sorry to hear that...
Maybe, though - you were a conscientious objector to your occupation, as...a Hangman...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I never thought of it in those terms. How horrid. I'm going to have bad dreams tonight. Shame on you! ;-)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker...I never thought of it in those terms. How horrid. I'm going to have bad dreams tonight. Shame on you! ;-)

Just doing my job.
Suite Dreams!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker

I also cannot stand anything around my neck. Can't wear turtleneck shirts because of it. Even wearing a necklace can make me feel like I'm suffocating.

Hmmmm......

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join