Egyptian Christians allege torture at hands of Libyan Islamists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
According to this news story .... 48 Egyptian Christians who are living in Benghazi were detained and then tortured by Libyan Islamists. They were thrown in jail and were tortured. Among other things, acid was poured on them to burn tattoos of the cross of their skin. These people were peacefully working in Benghazi and sending money back home to their families.

I don't know anything about Ahram .. how reliable it is or not ...
Ahram On Line

According to a source from Egypt's Coptic Church, a group of Salafist Muslims attacked a church in Benghazi this week and detained roughly 100 Egyptian Copts working in the country.

The detained Copts had been tortured by their captors, who had also shaved their heads and used acid to burn off the crosses tattooed on their wrists, the source – who preferred anonymity – told Ahram Online

CBN Story on this .. With Video

Meanwhile, the Coptic archbishop responsible for Libya said it doesn't make sense that so many Coptic Christian's decided to proselytize in another country.

In other words .. the excuse the Libyan Islamists came up with for arresting and torturing the Christians doesn't make sense because the Christians wouldn't be doing that kind of thing.

More Video Available here

Egyptian Christians Allege Torture at the Hands of Libyan Islamists

The detained Copts had been tortured by their captors, who had also shaved their heads and used acid to burn off the crosses tattooed on their wrists, a source told Ahram Online.

Kamel told family members he was subjected to electric shocks and forced to clean toilets, as his jailers assaulted him and mocked his religion, according to his family. Kamel has a wife and two children in Egypt, but went to work in a Benghazi vegetable market in order to provide for them.

Some from Reuters - talks about the church being attacked

So this is what it's like in Benghazi.
Did these things go on when Gaddafi was in charge?
Did the Christians get as bad treatment while he was there?
I don't know.
I know his own people weren't treated well.
But were the radical islamists able to run amuck like this??

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Egyptian Copts aren't the only Christians being attacked now in Libya ...

Nuns Chased Out of Libya by Islamists - Asian News

Islamic extremists threatened us to leave, not the Libyan people, who instead protected us by coming to visit every day until our departure", Sister Celeste Biasolo, former superior of the convent of the Holy Family of Spoleto in Derna tells AsiaNews. In October she was forced to leave Libya with four other sisters, because of the spread of Islamic extremists in Cyrenaica. The situation described by the religious is also confirmed by Msgr. Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, who recently pointed out that two other religious communities will leave Cyrenaica after having been threatened by Islamists: the Franciscan Sisters of the Infant Jesus of Barce and the Ursuline Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Beida.

Sister Celeste Biasolo describes a climate of fear in Cyrenaica, which is especially affecting the Libyan people: "The same Muslim population is being terrorized by this situation. The people of Derna miss us and often contact us imploring us to come back. At Christmas more than 100 families called to our monastery in Spoleto with greetings for us". "In Cyrenaica - she explains - the Islamists do not want to attack the Church as such, but the West, and unfortunately we are seen as foreigners. This is because the country is without a government and can not even guarantee the security of its citizens".

So .. at least three religious communities of Nuns who were helping the (mostly Muslim) population of Libya have been run out by radical Islamists. The regular muslim population is also afraid of these radical Islamists. The three Catholic religious orders didn't have a problem under Gaddafi. But now .. they do.

Gaddafi was a bad guy .. but it looks like what is moving into his place is worse.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
In other words .. the excuse the Libyan Islamists came up with for arresting and torturing the Christians doesn't make sense because the Christians wouldn't be doing that kind of thing.

Really? :

On what police are calling a backlash hate crime, a 17-year-old Hindu temple in Hamilton, Ontario, was burned to the ground on September 17.

"We have identified it as a hate crime," Sgt Maggie McKittrick of the Hamilton police force said. She said there has been a spate of incidents against Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs, "but the temple burning has been the most significant hate crime."

www.vnn.org...

And that's in Canada. It's easy to point fingers when there's a short memory. Sorry FF but there's plenty of hate on both sides.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Religious people suck at having empathy, what else is new?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
And that's in Canada. It's easy to point fingers when there's a short memory. Sorry FF but there's plenty of hate on both sides.

Um ... either you missed what I was talking about or I wasn't clear.

The Coptic folks said that the Christians wouldnt' be doing that sort of thing ... as in prosthelytizing their religion in such big numbers. They said they disbelieved the excuse given by the extremists for why they were torturing the Christians. It was supposedly that the 48 Christians were there to prosthelytize ...

It's PROSTHELYTIZING ..

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The thing is there is a propaganda war going on
who are the muslim extremists working for?
are the christians for instance handling children?

we don't know
we do know there is suh a thing as "Divide and Conqure"

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Gaddafi was a bad guy .. but it looks like what is moving into his place is worse.

This. This is the problem. Nation building. One (or more) country telling another how it should behave, by force. Then installing a new regime/leader. I can't name one time this has been for the better, but that's humanity.

The part about Christians etc. is just collateral damage. It probably would not have happened if other countries minded their own business.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
What's interesting .... people at ATS are very quick to defend the Muslims ... but where are they now? Why aren't they defending the Copts ... why aren't they saying that what was done to them was wrong. Very interesting ....

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

What's interesting .... people at ATS are very quick to defend the Muslims ... but where are they now? Why aren't they defending the Copts ... why aren't they saying that what was done to them was wrong. Very interesting ....

Hopefully people mentally/spiritually are moving past those kind of thoughts on both sides and that is why no one is responding.

Or more likely they are distracted and this doesn't affect them directly to make the raise their voice and make change... half way around the world. Which usually involves more freedom bombs.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Trusting any religion to "do the right thing" is folly and shows much about their followers; It's not hard to understand the motivation of the clergy, however.

The torture of anyone, physically or mentally, by anyone is sinful.

cast the first stone....
edit on 5-3-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Torture is always wrong

Painting all people with the same brush - also wrong

What's your point Flyers? Muslims are bad people?
A new investigation finds U.S. sent veteran of "dirty wars" to oversee torture centers, report directly to Petraeus

“They worked hand in hand,” said General Muntadher al-Samari, who worked with Steele and Coffman for a year while the commandos were being set up. “I never saw them apart in the 40 or 50 times I saw them inside the detention centres. They knew everything that was going on there … the torture, the most horrible kinds of torture.”

Who are the bad guys in this story?

edit on 3/6/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis

:shk: Oh brother .. there's always one or two who will spit that out.

If you had read my posts you would have seen that I said nothing of the sort.
This is a news article. It is showing how Christians are being treated by extremists
now that Gaddafi is gone. It also talks about how the regular Muslim population is in
fear of the extremists who are running uncontrolled since Gaddafi died.

Try reading the article and what I posted before making silly statements like that.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

:shk: Oh brother .. there's always one or two who will spit that out.

If you had read my posts you would have seen that I said nothing of the sort.
This is a news article. It is showing how Christians are being treated by extremists
now that Gaddafi is gone. It also talks about how the regular Muslim population is in
fear of the extremists who are running uncontrolled since Gaddafi died.

Try reading the article and what I posted before making silly statements like that.

Silly? Why aren't you more careful with the words you choose?

I've added to my original post - you were so quick to jump on that you beat me :-)

I 'spit that out' because you said - if you need it repeated:

When you state people here are so quick to defend the Muslims but not the Copts - what are you really saying? You don't differentiate between Muslims and extremists. How many people do you accuse - here at ATS - of defending extremists? Were you trying to say: see - I told you they were bad - defend this

Or, maybe you just forgot when you used the word Muslims instead of Islamic extremists?

What did you really mean by all that Flyers - please explain it to silly me

See if you can do it without rolling your eyes or shaking your head
edit on 3/6/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Silly? Why aren't you more careful with the words you choose?

My words were just fine and in no way called Muslims 'bad people'.
I don't need to be 'more careful'. Perhaps YOU should be though, eh?

When you state people here are so quick to defend the Muslims but not the Copts - what are you really saying?

Exactly what I said ... that people here are very quick to defend when Muslims are wrongly attacked but they don't seem to care that Christians get wrongly attacked as well. Seems to be some bias on the part of the general ATS population.

You don't differentiate between Muslims and extremists.

In the first post I said what the article said ... in the second post which is directly under it I clearly said RADICAL ISLAMISTS.

Were you trying to say: see - I told you they were bad - defend this

:shk: Grow up.

See if you can do it without rolling your eyes or shaking your head

When you post silly things .. you get the rolling eyes and shaking head.
That's just the way it is. If you don't like 'em .. then dont' post silly things like you did.

edit on 3/6/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
People are not replying because:

a. they were celebrating death of Colonel Gaddafi so now they see they have been deluded and mislead.

b. busy celebrating death of Chavez.

my improved version, fool me once - and let's fly off to Bagdad together.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The Muslims are the biggest victims to the zionist/saudi creation that is 'salafi extremism' which is taking over the Arab world under the covert name 'Arab spring'. Funny how these so called Islamists see themselves demonizing Islam and never defending it against Israeli aggression in Palestine. Is it a coincidence that the so called Mujahideen are fighting in every Islamic country, killing Muslims but they never fight Israel.

The OP moans and cries yet overlooks the fact that her own government is supporting these terrorists and terror groups in taking over countries one by one, from Libya and so next is Syria, and what will become of Syria?

Support the FSA rebels now and watch them prosecute all the minorities within the Syrian nation, this people that have lived within syria in peace for decades, free to worship their Gods and sing in their church are now being attacked by terrorist rebel scum which is backed by the same evil-does NATO/US/Saudi/Zionist clan that starve the palestanians, blow up women and children in Afghanistan and Iraq, overthrew a great nation known as Libya, the same bunch that perpetrated 9/11 thus kick starting the war that has caused this world to turn into hell, the same people that want to bring death and suffering to Iran.

There was no christian prosecution in Libya before the western coup, there was no death and suffering in Syria before the western attempted coup, there is no death in Iran now. but the zionsist will bring it, and then they will say the muslims are violent and destructive. while the saudi king sleeps in the same bed with Israel

the OP is delusional to blame the Muslims when it is the west meddling and supporting terrorists

Mr Qaddafi won the attempted coup, but then NATO bombed Libya and the Libyan forces from air and brought more foreign fighters.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You said what you said Flyers

Not even one page in you're accusing people of defending Muslims and not Christians

Who in their right mind would defend torture - no matter who was responsible?

(I knew you couldn't do it)

:-)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

According to this news story .... 48 Egyptian Christians who are living in Benghazi were detained and then tortured by Libyan Islamists.

Otherwise known as 'Out of the frying pan and into the fire' or even more appropriate..'Better the devil you know'.

Quite often, the consequences of the cure are indeed worse than the disease.

I hope the UK isn't making a similar mistake, as i fear that they are, by aiding Syrian islamic extremists, currently termed as 'freedom fighters'...thing is, last time i checked, blowing hundreds of innocent Civilian men, women and children to small burning pieces using car bombs and other IED's, has a nasty knack of killing them..not freeing them, and is terrorism.

Perhaps i'm mistaken, but 'terrorists' and 'terrorism' have supposedly been the quarry in the decade long 'war on terror'...but what do i know.

Not much apparently, as it now seems that my Government thinks it to be a good idea to send them protective body armour and armoured vehicles, presumably to enable them to plant their car bombs and IED's more safely...!

Removing Assad and his Loyal Army by equipping al-qaeda backed indiscriminate terrorists, looks very much like another case of 'Out of the frying pan' in the making to me.
edit on 6-3-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
Otherwise known as 'Out of the frying pan and into the fire' or even more appropriate..'Better the devil you know'.

That's why I was saying that I don't remember these problems under Gaddafi.
Sure .. there were other problems with him ...
But Christians weren't being persecuted at the hands of extremists.
And the local muslim population wasn't afraid of the extremists.
At least, i don't remember any of that happening while he was in charge.

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Not even one page in you're accusing people of defending Muslims and not Christians

Because that's exactly what is happening.
When Muslims are treated wrong .. everyone gets upset. (and rightly so)
When Christians are treated wrong ... *crickets* ...
That's just the way it is. And I am allowed to make that observation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join