Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Tales for the Home of the AFRAID: Ringtone shuts down school district

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Only in Amerika; some idiot lady misheard a kids ring tone and called 9-11 locking down the whole school district until things could get sorted out. The ringtone; the theme music from "Fresh Prince of Bel Air".

A nurse was calling a patient to confirm an upcoming appointment. The patient's ringback tone was the theme song to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, which everyone knows by heart. Everyone but this idiot nurse. When the line "shootin' some b-ball outside of the school", this dope heard "shootin' some PEOPLE outside of the school". So what did she do? Called 911, of course!

Free Beer and Hot Wings

The student was detained for three hours before they sorted the whole thing out. I love how, at the end, they say the student has "learned his lesson" and that this shows what people SHOULD DO in this type of situation.

Are you freakin kidding?!?

This is how people are expected to respond when they hear a RINGTONE! How many kids are running around with violent rap music as their ring tones, should we call the cops on all of them?

And what lesson did that poor kid learn? That in the US of A we're no longer free to have a cool ringtone if someone might mishear it and sic the cops on you? What the hell kinda lesson is that?

Maybe we should just wrap everyone in two feet of bubble wrap and be over with it already.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
It would have to be from our home state.

I am thinking that I live in the 'Keystoned' State.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
oh..good..gawd..people are gettin' crazy up in here...no..really, I have no words for the stupidity..people really are like sheep i guess..

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It could be funny if it wasn't so seriously disturbing and sad.

Honest to god I listen to way worse music then what that lady THOUGHT she heard...
Do I deserve the police to show up? No.

Also....WHAT FREAKIN LESSON DID THE KID LEARN? This question has been asked like a 100 times.

Well one more... seriously.. who do the police and school board think they are? They come out of this looking all clean and what not and divert the negative attention to the kid claiming HE learned HIS lesson.

And where is the public shaming for the lady who called the cops in the first place?
She had NO RIGHT. Especially over a piece of music, ANY piece of music should be covered by the constitution no?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Oh yeah....
What kind of freakin' old-timer, live their life in a closet teacher was this...

That is not familiar with the theme song of that TV show???

I am over 50 and I know that song.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
While I think this is quite amusing, I also understand her concern.

With all of the shootings at schools and, especially, the media hype, she did what she thought was best. Best to avert another school shooting and save the live of children and staff.

I would rather someone call 911 and it turn out to be something dumb than not call them and it turns out to be another Columbine.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lothran
I would rather someone call 911 and it turn out to be something dumb than not call them and it turns out to be another Columbine.

With this line of thinking every single human being is a potential walking disaster. Better call the police.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

While I think this is quite amusing, I also understand her concern.

With all of the shootings at schools and, especially, the media hype, she did what she thought was best. Best to avert another school shooting and save the live of children and staff.

Really?

You have never heard the theme song of 'The Fresh Prince of BelAir'?

The media hype has made people think that school shootings are commonplace.

The truth is, outside of Chicago, school shootings are pretty rare.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

While I have heard the theme song and watched the show quite a bit, I can not assume EVERYONE has.

Like I said, If it were my child's school, I would rather someone do something than fail to act. If it turns out to be something like this, I would be able to have a laugh with my kids afterwords than attend their funeral.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

While I have heard the theme song and watched the show quite a bit, I can not assume EVERYONE has.

Like I said, If it were my child's school, I would rather someone do something than fail to act. If it turns out to be something like this, I would be able to have a laugh with my kids afterwords than attend their funeral.

Except you wouldn't be laughing with your kids after because you and your entire family would be the laughing stock of your community! I am sure your kids would not be laughing at your lack of common sense and later grow tired of the jokes about you that they would be forced to hear 10,000X over.

See something say something is total BS, because our world is full of morons that don't have the mental capacity to comprehend what they are seeing and hearing half the time, and this story is 100% proof of that!
edit on 3/4/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. My ringtone is a rapid firing AK47. You should see the looks I get when the phone rings.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
sadly, this and a thousand other tales of woeful stupidity illustrate conclusively that, on the whole, society is at the bottom of an intellectual trough, the sides of which are far too steep for any hope of escape.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Beaver County, out by Pittsburgh...I'm with ya Butcherguy! Didn't this nurse ever here a ring tone before?
I hope every student changes their ring tone to this one.

The only thing the student learned was the nurse is a bloomin idiot.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_

because our world is full of morons that don't have the mental capacity to comprehend what they are seeing and hearing
edit on 3/4/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

Isn't that why we are also in the situation we are in (MSM)?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Isn't the term, "lock-down" a prison term used when an inmate or inmates have created a situation which could lead to violence?

So kids go to school in a place where one of the terms used in their environment is a prison term?

So, kids who go to school in the "better to be safe then sorry" realm must subject themselves to EXACTLY the same terms AND treatment as prisoners, violent offenders incarcerated against their freewill? Children as young as five are subject to lock-down, just like, exactly like, the prisoners contained in a supermax prison?

Why on earth to the masses wonder why kids are they way the are? How stupid do you have to be not to see your children go to prison each day on a work release in reverse - they are released for the day and they go home to parents, not the other way around. How to I know this, it is illegal for you not to send your kids to school, it is not illegal for them to be in school, ergo, they are owned by the State and released to their parents, if, and only if: they are not in lock-down!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The thing that I find disturbing about stories like this is just how ready people are to report each other to the police for even the slightest perceived threat.This whole damn "if it saves one life it was worth it" mentality is turning the whole world into a "zero tolerance" zone where common sense is thrown out the window in favor of knee jerk overreactions to everything.

People seem to think this a harmless exercise in safety. What about the parents who probably feared the worst when they heard the district went into lock-down? How many students missed lunch or weren't able to go to the bathroom while the schools went into lock-down? How many teachers had their lesson plans disrupted by the insane paranoia of one nurse?

This wasn't a harmless exercise in safety, it was an exercise in stupidity and futility. It inconvenienced a whole damn school district while the police wasted their time investigating the "threat" and kept the police off the streets where they could have been battling real crime. If I ever wanted to rob a bank in a town like this, all I would have to do is phone in some crap like that nurse did and the police would all be elsewhere.

The people who need to learn a lesson from this are the ones applauding the nurse's stupidity and inferring that this was somehow the kid's fault for having a ringtone on his phone.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join