It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The stunning Zion Natural Park Subway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hi people aliens and others as yet to be defined.

I came across this and thought. Gotta share with ATS

Inside nature's subway: The stunning Zion Natural Park Subway that only 80 people can see a day

A stunningly beautiful canyon in Utah's Zion National Park has become so popular that park officials have instituted a lottery for hikers who want to discover its untouched natural beauty. Down between two peaks called the North and South Guardian Angels, the Subway's low light is the perfect place for algae to grow in vibrant and rich greens. The park is issuing 80 permits a day to hikers who want to visit the cylindrical slot canyon.

You can see the rest of the photo's, the article and the video HERE

Cody

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Surreal beauty! I never knew this existed. Good for the parks service for limiting the number of visitors instead of caving to tourist money demands. Preservation should be what it's all about. S&F.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
WOW. Great find Cody.

s&f!

and others as yet to be defined.

I guess I would fall under that category

If I go there, do I have to leave?
It seems magical. I could stay there forever (with some fungi to keep me going of course
)

Also, how did it get the name Zion?
edit on 4/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
WOW. Great find Cody.

s&f!

It seems magical. I could stay there forever (with some fungi to keep me going of course
)

Count me in

*Grabs sleeping bag and runs for door*

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Amazing and stunning. I'm awed. It's truly a shame that only a handful can see this, but it really is possible to love something to death.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

The Subway is one of the best natural features of Zion National Park, but that area is often overlooked because it is not near the main area of the park. Thank you for sharing these pictures, they are awesome!

I have hiked the Subway and it is an amazing hike, and not that hard if you are in relatively good shape. There are a couple of places where you do need a rope for a ten foot drop, but it is not "technical climbing". If anyone reading this likes to hike and is ever in the area, you should check it out.

Happy Trails!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

That is a lovely cave there. I went to a cave once in Yorkshire and when we turned our torches off the celling came alive with the glow of rocks. Caves are magical places.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Originally posted by SilentE
WOW. Great find Cody.

s&f!

)

Count me in

*Grabs sleeping bag and runs for door*

Oh, I see. I'll need my emergency stash too then..

Here is just one of many videos of the Zion natural subway from youtube:

Stunning!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue
reply to post by cody599

The Subway is one of the best natural features of Zion National Park, but that area is often overlooked because it is not near the main area of the park. Thank you for sharing these pictures, they are awesome!

I have hiked the Subway and it is an amazing hike, and not that hard if you are in relatively good shape. There are a couple of places where you do need a rope for a ten foot drop, but it is not "technical climbing". If anyone reading this likes to hike and is ever in the area, you should check it out.

Happy Trails!

O.K.
I'm officially jealous,
If I'm ever in the US I'll make a point of visiting
Any way of pre booking ?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

The name Zion comes from the early Mormon settlers who found this area. Before it was named Zion, it had an Indian name. There are also peaks in Zion National Park named Abraham, Issac and Jacob. (from the Bible or in this case the Book of Mormon).

Zion National park was established in 1909 as Mukuntuweap National Monument. It became Zion National Park in 1919. The name "Zion" meaning "place of refuge," was given to the canyon by Mormon pioneers.

Zion National Park

And it is magical and a very spiritual place-it was a sacred place for Native Americans before the Mormons arrived. There is just something special about Zion and many people notice that when they visit.

edit on 4-3-2013 by PacificBlue because: add text

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

I'm still wrestling Mrs. C. for mine
I may be a couple of minutes late

Thanks for the vid

edit on 4/3/13 by cody599 because: wrestling Mrs. C

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

reply to post by SilentE

The name Zion comes from the early Mormon settlers who found this area. Before it was named Zion, it had an Indian name. There are also peaks in Zion National Park named Abraham, Issac and Jacob. (from the Bible or in this case the Book of Mormon).

Zion National park was established in 1909 as Mukuntuweap National Monument. It became Zion National Park in 1919. The name "Zion" meaning "place of refuge," was given to the canyon by Mormon pioneers.

Zion National Park

It's insulting in 2013 for the park officials, the U.S. government, and everyone else not to go back to the original Indian names. But then they'd have to bring up Mount Rushmore, and really do some 'pologizing.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The native indians of the area called it Mukuntuweap, which means straight arrow or straight canyon. I think the park should revert to using their original names out of respect. They are lucky to even exists as a people after encountering the peace loving, god fearing-mormons...

The Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah is engaged in the long, slow climb back from near destruction by the invasion of European settlers and Mormon Pioneers. Their numbers, once in the thousands, dwindled to less than 800. Various US Government movements only made things worse.
More about these people here if interested :www.utahpaiutes.org...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

You can enter the lottery online, and right now they are taking requests for June. And if you happen to come, they also do some kind of last minute drawing. The Subway's official name is Left Fork, North Creek.

Wilderness Permit lottery

Also, there is a company called Zion Adventure Outfitters that can be very helpful for tours, information, directions and other things that one may want to do. It is right at the entrance to the park. I am not affiliated with this company, just sharing info.

I hope that you get to visit someday.

edit on 4-3-2013 by PacificBlue because: spelling

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by SilentE

Zion National Park

And it is magical and a very spiritual place-it was a sacred place for Native Americans before the Mormons arrived. There is just something special about Zion and many people notice that when they visit.

edit on 4-3-2013 by PacificBlue because: add text

Thanks

I had a quick search but kept getting distracted by all the pictures I came across.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning, Mother Earth is such a wonder, and never gives a boring show of talent.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
The native indians of the area called it Mukuntuweap, which means straight arrow or straight canyon. I think the park should revert to using their original names out of respect. They are lucky to even exists as a people after encountering the peace loving, god fearing-mormons...

The Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah is engaged in the long, slow climb back from near destruction by the invasion of European settlers and Mormon Pioneers. Their numbers, once in the thousands, dwindled to less than 800. Various US Government movements only made things worse.
More about these people here if interested :www.utahpaiutes.org...

I love ATS
I learn so much here
Thanks for link, may I ask if you're native american or whatever the correct term is nowadays ?
You reminded me of an archaeologist I met years ago who wanted to research his tribes history, off to email hin now. Thanks for the reminder

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I was lucky enough to drive through that area and hang out for a day.

Your pictures are great,but they don't do the scenery justice.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
goodluck getting in there ,that place is crowded as hell, I got claustophobic walking a trail,,and the busses,,,too touristy but beautiful nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jazztrance

Thanks for advice
I'll bare it mind if I make it there

top topics

join