Stop Taking The Internet For Granted -- You Must Understand What You Have.

page: 1

join
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You may think I'm kidding here, but for the sake of understanding:

The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to serve billions of users worldwide. It is a network of networks that consists of millions of private, public, academic, business, and government networks, of local to global scope, that are linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless and optical networking technologies.

The Internet carries an extensive range of information resources and services, such as the inter-linked hypertext documents of the World Wide Web (WWW) and the infrastructure to support email.

That's right, above is the Wikipedia definition of the internet.

Now, this feeling I have isn't new, it props up every now and then for seemingly no reason at all, but I'm guessing it happens to all of us at some point or another. Let me explain:

So I'm sitting in my home office looking at the Kordana Roses that are in full bloom on my desk. I've had them for a few weeks now and I noticed they were looking a bit sickly on one side. So I google it, and within 3 minutes I have the answer to my question and the appropriate instructions to fix the problem.

3 minutes.

How long would that have taken before the availability of high speed internet?! It just boggles my mind.

I saw a picture on the internet the other that had a question, and here was my favorite answer.

"If you met somebody from the 1950's, what would be the hardest thing to explain to them?"

Answer: "I have a small device in my pocket that contains the entirety of human history and information. And I use this device to look at pictures of cats and argue with people over the internet."

So what's the point I'm trying to get across here? The fact that we, take this incredible technology for granted. Now it's less prevalent in those of us who are internet denizens. People who literally consider the internet to be real, and that the events and relationships we develop in this space, are just as important as the "Real Life"events.

The problem is the people who rely on this technology the most, are those who are most ignorant of how it works and how important and vital it is to their lives. They only realize once it's gone, and therefore are no help in trying to prevent any wrongdoings by those in charge.

Our communities on the internet are relatively isolated and we aren't as forgiving or as pleasant a group that we would like to believe we are. In general I mean, of course, there are better sandboxes than others.

We are a separatist and petty and often far too prideful of the places we visit most often and the communities we've become a part of. The end result is that we as a community end up alienation those we need on our side, in order to win against those who aren't.

The same can be said about conspiracy theories in general. So, it's just a reminder, don't take this place, or any other digital space for granted and remind those who do, what life would look like today without them.

The internet has become inseparable from our day to day living. It's the ultimate tool for good and bad communication. We must strive to make it more good.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

People will always take what they have readily available to them for granted, it is until they are forced to go without that they realize what they actually had.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have a name I have used for the internet for over a decade. "The Oracle". Never in history have we had the opportunity to have the answers to almost any question, in minutes.

I can get the best price of whatever item I want with just a few minutes of shopping at home. Heck, I can even have it delivered!

The internet has changed everything about how I do business and how I get business. Without it, I would just assume be living on squirrels in the backwoods somewhere.

There is no longer an excuse for ignorance.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Boggles my mind as well, it has made this world alot smaller and a little less mysterious which is a shame, but I am not so sure people take it for granted? Remember it is still in its infancy, what 10 15 years of usable www? thats not that long. Also apart from looking at cats and naked people what should we/they be doing? Librarys have existed for centuries but that didnt stop people getting drunk and sleeping when they could be reading socrates.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Technically the same could have been said about the newspaper, telegraph, telephone, radio and TV in their prime.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Great post and a firm reminder to cherish the unconfined spaces of the cyber realm and all the possibilities it has for humanity. On account that the internet has given me so much perspective on such a multitude of topics that I have a great interest in, I can say that I feel very lucky and privileged to live in the times of instant knowledge.

However one must tread carefully as you can get side tracked with the dreaded notion of misinformation and bias opinions if you are not critical in your quest of curiosity.
Yet that can also be seen as a positive thing for the critical thinker and skeptic by nature.

Sifting through the bull# makes you stronger and less susceptible to being lead astray in the stench of lies (pardon my silly metaphors).

Without getting too philosophical here, one of the greatest setbacks for human kind unfortunately rests in our cunning capability to spread lies and half truths.
Quite often I question just how much we really know about the past and intern ourselves because of that inherit condition.

Good things

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

Technically the same could have been said about the newspaper, telegraph, telephone, radio and TV in their prime.

Nope.

Without the internet, there is no way to actually properly fact check information provided by the above mediums.

We've never had this sort of capability.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
When I read the headline for this post, for some reason, I just had a feeling that you were about to go on a rant about how "we should take precautions, such as backing up the wiki and other great sources of somewhat vetted information to non-networked machines and learn how to access this information when the authorities turn off the magic internet if a civil uprising should occur." That information would prove to be invaluable should we get tossed back to a non-internet society for a period of time, so since you weren't really heading down the doom & gloom path, I am saying it now and I will further that with our economy may be in the crapper but in terms of wealth of knowledge, we've never really had it so good. Just take a few moments out of your day or even try to go a whole day or weekend unplugged and figure out how to live in both extremes 'cause the times they are a changing.

edit on 5-3-2013 by evc1shop because: spelling

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Can't argue with that!

Try this test see if you can go 1 week without the Internet TRY IT you will find out YOU CAN'T

Why because you are an addict, You are Addicted to knowledge. Am I right?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by evc1shop
doom & gloom

It's Doom and Gloom (TM)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

not even close. Newspaper, TV phone, and radio never gave you any information you want on demand. Never. The amount of information the internet has can't be covered in any of those formats.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I agree with the original poster 100%. Case in point, I have been a registered member of this site for quite some time now, however I refrain from posting very often at all... and when I do I take at least an hour to formulate a post. Reason being is that I have read things on here before, even in posting guidelines that have scared me away from it. It has made me feel like if I don't have a PHD or some other prominent profession or education, that I wasn't really welcome to post and participate. Basically, I've felt this very place that I come to to read up on things, and opinions, really is only a one way street to the majority who actually are 100% with you guys on most topics. Some day I hope this changes, or at least the "mood" changes so that people like me feel more comfortable contributing. Heck maybe some day (before I turn 100) I'll even be able to participate in the chat room. Until then, I'll just have to keep on reading here, and then communicating on other platforms, with other people who feel the same as I do, and hope that maybe someday both sides can actually collaborate. Don't take this as a discredit to this website. I LOVE this website and what it represents. I just don't feel in its current incarnation that its meant for the little guy like me. It's kind of an AMAZING internet resource that has been taken for granted by this very community for what it can really achieve.
edit on 5-3-2013 by Phirephreak because: misspelled word

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Has anyone here read The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C Clarke (1979, just before the internet came on line)?

In the book, he predicted the use of search engines, personally tailored news alerts and joke searches for impossible things (Circle, squaring of etc.).

I recall wishing at the time that there was something like that available way back then, instead of having to trek down to the library to attempt to research a subject only to find they just had an old out of date book on something vaguely related.

I love the net, and have never been addicted to anything so much in my entire life...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The internet seems to be next level for mind control taking it from those dark rat labs to the general public.They had to do all kinds of stuff so you would have to search and go deeper and deeper while becoming more and more addicted.One day you will be strapped to some kinda cube chair praising the internet while being in the cube virtual world and not ever be aware that it's not even real who knows even that you are real.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think there are at least two ways that we take the Internet for granted. We expect physical access to Internet facilities to always be readily available. And we take the Internet for granted by not stopping to look at the how it is involved with the vast underlying connectedness of virtually every aspect of our lives that reside.

We lost power at home during a big storm last year. The power was out for a couple of days. In the immediate aftermath of the storm the roads were full of debris and it was impossible to travel very far. Cell phone service was degraded, if available at all. The first thing I thought to do once the storm was over was to check the Internet. The cable TV system was out, and stayed out until the power came back on. We have DSL, but I had to rig up some power inverters to get it powered up. I finally was able to get to the Internet and got the scoop on what had happened. Then as it was getting dark, I realized that we going to need lights and fans and ... The point of that story is that Internet is so important to keeping informed and researching that I was more interested in getting that service back that I forgot about more essential requirements like lights.

While I'm sure the Hurricane Sandy victims had lots of survival issues, I'm sure that limited Internet access was probably near the top of list.

Dex

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

"You Must Understand What You Have."

one big spy ring? ^^

"and that the events and relationships we develop in this space, are just as important as the "Real Life"events. "

only if you are completely pathetic heh, oh sure ill hear oh but my family and my wife or kids, stfu and call them already CHEAPSKATES ^^

all this social media facebook, twitter, linked in ect ect ect amounts to is one thing, JUST ANOTHER FORM OF TEXTING, its like I wanna talk to you but just enough that I can say I talked to you but not enough to really care what we were talking about or enough to actually call you and hear your voice because THEN I might actually have to think and have a real conversation LOL

THE INTERNET was A GREAT THING, when it had no rules and no one was watching now that they realize how much power the average retard has at finger tips , they will slowly start to take it away through TAXES lol, or make so much copywrong laws that you wont be even able to view a site without dropping some "bitcoins" heh on top of your annual sub. Let alone the whole camera thing on phones, heh idiots thought we would be taking pics of each other and turning our neighbors in, little did they know we have more interest in catching TPTB doing things they shouldn't,

on top of that it will slowly get bloated and cave in, look at google, when it first came out that thing would find freaking government documents still on their servers heh,, now all it find is 50 pages of advertisements lol and we can already see where the "sharing" aspect of the internet is going and that's just going to end you up in jail or poor ^^

while it still has a a lot to offer "students" its basically becoming useless for everything else well unless you are pathetic or like being monitored 24/7 in your own home? Or both?

lol besides its only a matter of time before the "people" that run the entertainment industry get their hands on this and ruin it.

the only way to have fun on the internet anymore is to mask ip , chainlink it to 40 other countries ip, pray you have good connections and then let the fun begin ^^

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

well we know what they did with the newspapers after,,, here here fido go pee and poo here , good dog lol

how long before we let out pets pee all over our computers? ^^

new topics

top topics

join