It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shooting Prevented - Student Disarms Gunman…Gets Suspended?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by seabag

Your title is a Tad Misleading.

Its not the Title of the News Story, so why the Drama?

I agree with you btw, Just dont understand the Need to Hype the Story , thus demeaning it, with Lies.
ARE YOU KIDDING????? NOT THE TITLE OF THE STORY?? This is the MOST IMPORANT!!! Seeing how people lie, cheat, and steal in this OBAMA admin it would freak us out not knowing the PREZZIES STANCE which should be relatively neutral which is relatively not...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

So if a teacher would have disarmed the kid, would the teacher have been suspended pending an investigation?

Excellent point.
And would the fear of repercussions dissuade teachers from participating in new programs popping up around the country that allow some teachers to carry guns in school and become first responders?? Why would a teacher want to have to defend him/her self from frivolous charges?

It would certainly make me think twice.

We’re at a point now where people sometimes get punished and made an example of even though they did what most of us consider “the right thing.” This isn’t the right message to send…that was my main point.

edit on 4-3-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Seabag and many other prolific writers on ATS often use misleading titles and added drama as a way to attract attention to their threads. Their posting styles closely resemble that of so called yellow journalism.

Fallacious arguments are a clear sign that you have no argument and you’re only trying to derail the thread!

Tell me what is inaccurate about my title rather than trying to attack my character, otherwise move along.

*A mass shooting was prevented (a gun being shot in the confined quarters of a school bus could result in mass casualties, no?).

*A kid disarmed a gunman.

*The kid who did the right thing was suspended.

This is exactly what I put in the title!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 1MrMarc

Let's look at the glass half full. Everyone besides the school officials considers this kid a hero who should be applauded. This kid gets to hang out at home and work on assignments for a few days, and in the end will still be a hero. I hope his parents take him out for a steak and ice cream.

I never looked at it that way. You’re right, if that kid was reading this he’d probably be saying, “Dude, shut up! I want a couple of days off!”

Hell, I’d buy him a steak dinner if I knew who he was.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

How is this even close to yellow journalism? The title says it all about what happened. It's not misleading at all. And are you also saying this is not legitimate news? You don't care that a youth stepped up and was a hero but got punished for it? Is that what you're saying? Or are you just being a Seabag hater?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

How is this even close to yellow journalism? The title says it all about what happened. It's not misleading at all. And are you also saying this is not legitimate news? You don't care that a youth stepped up and was a hero but got punished for it? Is that what you're saying? Or are you just being a Seabag hater?

I’ll go with the latter. You have to attack the poster when you have no argument.

On topic - I always thought there were certain issues that transcend political ideology and personal bias. Raw emotions are a human condition, and when someone does a selfless act to save the life of another person that usually inspires certain positive emotions towards that person. Now, it looks like people have allowed their personal agendas to dictate their responses. To some people, it’s more important to tow the line on whatever issue is at hand than be honest about the situation.

These school administrators suffer from this condition as do some posters on ATS.

Isn't the new gun-grab about saving kids lives?? That's what we've been told.
Why then isn't the media celebrating the lives saved here? This story has been virtually buried on the MSM. Most positive stories about guns are buried. I figured at least Biden would comment on this and say, "Look, you don't need a gun to stop a gunman!"

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don't know if I was the kid, I'd look as it as being rewarded a vacation from school. Of course I hated high school and all its standardized mind sucking tests. Suspensions are a hilarious punishment anyways. The government forces all kids to attend school, but when they are too disruptive (or even if they skip school) the school turns around and disallows the children from going to school. I was suspended once while in high school and when it happened, I just laughed and considered it a nice two day break from school. The coup de grace to this whole idiotic punishment is that the school makes the suspension seem like a bad thing by saying it will end up on your permanent record and will hurt your chances to get into a college. Yet all you have to do is pay the entry fee to any community college, go for two years then transfer to a 4 year institution and that new institution won't even look at your high school transcripts.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Around here they are locking the doors of the schools during the day and have installed buzzers to get buzzed in. The school administrators are making rules that make them look concerned to boost their ego and not necessarily doing things in the best interest of the students and public.

The Sandy hill school had security procedures in effect and they didn't work. In a country that pushes competitiveness if you raise the bar it may give more challenge to people to jump over. This is not just a human trait. I had a three foot high fence around the garden and decided to put a couple of higher ropes up to make sure the deer did not jump in. It attracted the deer, they easily cleared the six foot ropes many times and ate the garden that they did not touch before.

We very well may be going the wrong way.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wow, much respect for the students who stood their ground and defended their peers. While I disagree that they should be punished, I would like to think of this suspension as a free holiday for the heroic efforts made by the students.

I do hope that the actions of the school in this matter don't scare other students away from possibly preventing a shooting or other violent act. Hero's should be rewarded, not punished. It's unfortunate that the country we live in is ass backwards on situations such as this.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Around here they are locking the doors of the schools during the day and have installed buzzers to get buzzed in. The school administrators are making rules that make them look concerned to boost their ego and not necessarily doing things in the best interest of the students and public.

The same thing is going on here in Texas. My daughter is in Kindergarten and is supposed to be at school no later than 7:45am (even though school officially starts at 8:00am). We were in my truck waiting in line IN THE PARKING LOT when the bell chimed for 7:45. The teachers stopped getting kids out of cars, walked to the nearest doors and closed them. I parked, walked my daughter to her door and found it locked…as well as the next door…and the next door. I had to walk her into the main entrance and into the administrative office so she could get a pass to class. Parents are not allowed to accompany their children to class without a criminal background check completed on file with the office!

It’s locked down like a military base after 9/11!!

The Sandy hill school had security procedures in effect and they didn't work. In a country that pushes competitiveness if you raise the bar it may give more challenge to people to jump over. This is not just a human trait. I had a three foot high fence around the garden and decided to put a couple of higher ropes up to make sure the deer did not jump in. It attracted the deer, they easily cleared the six foot ropes many times and ate the garden that they did not touch before.

We very well may be going the wrong way.

I don’t have the answers, friend. I wish the state would provide more school resource officers because I think that would be a good deterrent coupled with the enhanced security measures. It is sad that we are so fearful but it’s the conditioning we’ve been through over the past few years. We’re being groomed to welcome the police state with open arms and it’s been effective. Here I am asking for more cops!!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Surely the reality of this is that two students were involved in an altercation involved a gun. Both have been suspended pending full inquiries.

If it turns out one of those involved acted to prevent the other from committing a crime, he will no doubt be praised and his suspension removed from the records, once the investigation has been completed.

Otherwise, who is to say it wasn't a set up because the 'good guy' was failing his grades and persuaded a friend to set up a situation in which he could become a 'hero' in the hope he'd get a pass regradless?

Edit: kids taking guns to school?????? I'm so glad I live in Britain.
edit on 4-3-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am going to try and be as impartial as possible here:

Shouldn’t both sides provide concessions regarding the gun debate in light of the contentious situation surrounding gun control in the US?

Perhaps the suspension is for the protection of the student who disarmed the individual. To shield him from the media circus and from the advocates from both sides of the fence.

I applaud the individual for his bravery and selflessness in stopping this person. The suspension is being cast in a negative light here, I am sure there will be a lot of due process to carefully deal with this situation with the current social/political climate around guns right now.

Grant it, if the person was suspended on the grounds of interfering, then I call BS, but if it is to allow for a thorough investigation and safety, then I am all for it. It seems like a small price to pay.

Before I get railed to hard for the concessions comment, I would expect the other side to accept similar terms in the preservation of gun rights.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

The part about getting enough people asking for a police state is right on. They are trying to make us totally dependent on the system. The problem is coming out of societies new social elite.
edit on 4-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Edit: kids taking guns to school?????? I'm so glad I live in Britain.

I’m glad you live there and that you guys don’t have guns, too.

Historically and currently, your country is much more violent than US.

Britain has a higher crime rate than any other rich nation except Australia, according to a survey yesterday.

According to the figures released yesterday, 3.6 per cent of the population of England and Wales were victims of violent crime in 1999 - second only to Australia, where the figure was 4.1 per cent.

Scotland had a slightly lower rate of violence, at 3.4 per cent.

In the U.S., only 2 per cent of the population suffered an assault or robbery.

One in 40 people in England and Wales had their cars stolen in 1999, the highest rate in the 17 developed countries examined.

Just one in 200 Americans suffered a car theft while in Japan there was only one per 1,000 of the population.

The study looked at crime rates in 12 western European countries plus Poland, Canada, the U.S., Australia and Japan.

The chances of becoming a victim of any crime in England and Wales were second only to Australia.
link

Isn’t it ironic that UK and Australia both have insanely strict gun laws compared to US yet have more violent crime and more crime in general? What does that say about you? If you live in a glass house you shouldn't throw stones, friend.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yep it just gets more and more stupid doesn't it. The kids save lives and get penalized for it. This just shows the level of idiocy that has permeated schools and government. All the more reason to home school.

On the conspiracy side makes you wonder if TPTB are just pissed they did not have another tragedy on their hands to exploit for their gun control BS? After all why else punish the kids for saving lives and discourage others from doing something similar?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by CesarO

Much respect and honor for the kid who did this. Don't get too caught up with the word suspended it does not mean much, its like a cop putting handcuffs on you or asking you to sit on the curve and not to move to investigate what actually happened even if you were the victim, besides they don't have all the facts just the words of teenagers on a bus so they want to investigate more thoroughly.

You’re right that they suspended everyone involved pending investigation. However, there are more severe cases I’ve read about that resulted in no action by LE. For instance, I’ve read about cases here in Texas where people have been involved in a shooting (homeowners killing burglars – sometime unarmed burglars) and they don’t even get arrested that night! There will still be an investigation but often the shooter isn’t charged or punished in any way (as it should be).

I just think the school should have exercised better judgment and considered the message they’re sending by suspending everyone. It’s like they are striving so hard to treat everyone equal, even to the point of suspending common sense.

You are right to be concerned about the automatic suspension. If the kid is college bound that suspension for a weapon related incident will show on his transcripts when he applies. While one could hope that the admissions office would be able to apply common sense and recognize that the kid is a hero -- they could just as easily have a "policy" too. And then the kid would really be screwed for doing the right thing. The parents should get an attorney. Heck, maybe the kid has PTSD from the incident. IF he was back in school right away with the suspension revoked as if never applied (off records) he could recovery quickly. IF not, maybe his folks should sue the school for failure to provide a safe environment.

And, I ALWAYS defend education but this is just too much and too wrong.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

If the kid is college bound that suspension for a weapon related incident will show on his transcripts when he applies. While one could hope that the admissions office would be able to apply common sense and recognize that the kid is a hero -- they could just as easily have a "policy" too. And then the kid would really be screwed for doing the right thing.

Great point! This one move could jeopardize this kid’s chance of being accepted to a University of his choice. In this day and age of heightened sensitivity to all things gun related, I could see many Universities not taking a chance on a kid with a weapons related suspension? Whether this was a misunderstanding or simply following a ridiculous policy, it could affect this kid and that’s not right.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Give the freakin kid a medal! People are so insanely stupid these days it's incredible.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Non sequitur. How many children take guns to school, with the intention of shooting someone, in Britain?

Anyway, do you feel the need to have a gun at home for protection? I don't .....
edit on 4-3-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This story boggles the mind!!!

I had to bang my head against the wall multiple times to see if I could lower my IQ to that of the principle to see if it would make sense, and it didn't help. Must not have lowered it enough I suppose. How dumb must a person be to be a principle? Common sense no longer a requirement?

Looks like they don't like sheep who roam outside the fence. Bad sheep! Bad!
edit on 4-3-2013 by Lostmymarbles because: Added sentence

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join