It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD Doesn't Go Away

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

An interesting article from Discovery News about ADHD.

We tend to think of ADHD as primarily a childhood thing, with the person outgrowing the disorder as they age. Apparently, this is not the case.

But an analysis of data from the first large, population-based study to follow kids through to adulthood shows that the neurobehavioral disorder rarely goes away with age. Indeed, as ADHD patients make the transition to adulthood, the issues they face often multiply: they are more likely to have other psychiatric disorders and even commit suicide, reports a new study published online today in Pediatrics.

My brother was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, and I can tell you the diagnosis fits. If he'd been born fifteen years later they would probably have caught it in school. As it was, he spent countless hours in the office for his behavior and attention problems.

But there's a more disturbing trend to note. Apparently, there's a correlation with adult ADHD and increased likelihood of concurrent psychiatric problems.

Among the adults who’d had ADHD as a child, 57 percent had at least one other psychiatric disorder, compared with 35 percent of the controls. Just under 2 percent percent had died; of the seven deaths, three were suicides. Of the controls, less than 1 percent had died. Of those 37 deaths, five were from suicide. And 2.7 percent were incarcerated at the time of recruitment for the study.

A lot of us tend to trivialize ADHD. I've read a lot of opinions about how ADHD is not real, how its a faked illness for Big Pharm, how its the result of teachers trying to deal with normal childhood development.

I can attest that ADHD is a very real disorder. I do think its overdiagnosed, and the current public school climate contributes to that....but the fact is, we need to teach our young children how to cope with this disorder. Learning coping strategies will best help them in later life, AND get them off the medication.

Although other studies have shown that the job performance and relationships of adults can be affected by ADHD, this is the first study that has drawn from a large base of children, representing the entire range of severity of the disorder -- not just those referred to psychiatric centers by the severity of their condition.

ADHD has a social stigma attached...whether its from folks claiming its a trumped-up disorder, to the belief that only children suffer from it.....this study just serves to remind us that ADHD is a very real problem for some people, and we should stop the marginalization of their experiences.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
None of this matters......until it's someone close to you that's affected.

Oh, believe me, I know.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I am just about to turn 30 and I was diagnosed with ADHD in 07 and began taking medication. It has 100% changed my life for the better.
It is not a cake walk...still... and I have spent this time repairing a lot of damage that I did and learning how to not create more damage, but I can say that for those who genuinely have this disorder, it can and will destroy someone.

The biggest toll it took on me was in my social interactions.

It is real and people who say that it isn't are the same people who say depression isn't real or generalized anxiety disorder isn't real.
These people do not suffer from any type of mental dysfunction, except perhaps monumental narcissism, and they judge the rest of the world by their limited perception.

I still go to therapy and will continue to do so.
Best of luck to your brother.
edit on 4/3/2013 by kyviecaldges because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kyviecaldges

Wow, congratulations on taking those steps forward!

I completely understand about the stigma. I suffer from PTSD, depression, and anxiety...can't tell you how many times someone's said to me, "Just get over it." As if one would choose to have these problems!

My brother was diagnosed in college. He's super smart, sailed thru school despite the ADHD, but couldn't keep up on the college level in his engineering classes. Now he's an engineer and happy, although he still takes medicine and sees a therapist to learn coping skills.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
let me get this straight though, I have noticed that around here ADHD seems to be on the increase.

Is it the foods? is it the parents? is it the schools? is it the air?

why the rise?

I guess when parents aren't allowed to control their own children, it becomes worse in society.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Sorry, but I just have to:

Not saying that people don't have issues. We all do. I have problems filtering out sensory information and it can get overwhelming. I do not this ADHD is a legitimate disease. I think each case is individuated, and trying to shove speed down their throat is not the answer. Find out why the brain seems to be misfiring, else adapt in another way. Often times when we seem to be at a disadvantage, it also brings advantages. No gift without curse kinda deal.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
let me get this straight though, I have noticed that around here ADHD seems to be on the increase.

Is it the foods? is it the parents? is it the schools? is it the air?

why the rise?

I guess when parents aren't allowed to control their own children, it becomes worse in society.

I think that it's a combination of several factors.

It is a relatively new diagnosis, so those who would previously be underdiagnosed are now getting help, and we don't know that true prevalence rate in society.
So, we don't really know if it is on the increase. It could be a sort of regression to the mean type of scenario.
It is increasing relative to the number of children who have adequate resources available to receive proper diagnosis?
If that is the case then how can it be on the increase, in the sense that it is over-diagnosed?
If that is the case then it is just now being properly diagnosed.

And being that it is a new diagnosis, the symptoms overlap with other disorders.
This leads to improper medication dispersal.

My two cents.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

Find out why the brain seems to be misfiring, else adapt in another way. Often times when we seem to be at a disadvantage, it also brings advantages. No gift without curse kinda deal.

It is a developmental disorder that primarily affects that executive functions of the frontal lobe.
On brains scans (fMRI's) you will see less blood flow to certain areas of the frontal lobe while performing mundane tasks, like folding laundry, on those who are affected.
The causality is being researched.

The current belief is exposure to certain harmful chemicals in utero causes malformation during certain periods of brain development.

Once again, for those who do not have it, it is no different than telling someone who suffers from depression to just be happy.
This is antiquated thinking and socially harmful and disruptive.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

What percentage of people who have these "symptoms" and get put on legal speed actually get an MRI done?

I'm calling shenanigans.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom

What percentage of people who have these "symptoms" and get put on legal speed actually get an MRI done?

I'm calling shenanigans.

I am not surprised at your belief. It is human nature to want to discredit that which we do not understand.

Some people might describe your perspective as "myopic."

But what do you say to the many people who receive relief and life improvement from these medications?
Do you deny them access because you simply lack the empathy to truly understand their predicament?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I have ADHD and it helps me with my job performance. I overcome my mind racing and being on twenty five different tasks by being aware of myself and focusing on my breath. It hinders me socially at work but luckily my job performance is more noticeable. It has also made me into a leader and for some reason I am more fearless then those around me. I wonder if that is a characteristic?

The leadership skills I have gained because of the social aspect of ADHD are beginning to really shine as I age and gain more life experience.

I think this is an immune response to our current social paradigm and political structure. Our collective survival instinct is kicking in and producing in humanity what we are going to need to continue forward as a species.

We need leaders in this world and we need leaders who aren't mafia puppets and puppets for gangs who have a lot of power.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyviecaldges

I am not surprised at your belief. It is human nature to want to discredit that which we do not understand.

I understand it better than you realize. Please don't talk down to me like this. It's just arrogant.

But what do you say to the many people who receive relief and life improvement from these medications?
Do you deny them access because you simply lack the empathy to truly understand their predicament?

Look, people get depressed, and they may have attention difficulties. I'm not going to say that some don't generally have issues. I'm saying that pumping them up with speed is ridiculous, and the procedure for issuing these drugs is disgusting, and highly unethical.

You realize how many normal kids take speed for high school or college? What are you going to tell them? That they have ADHD?

I want evidence that speed is the best way to improve their performance. I want to know exactly WHY their frontal cortex may be messed up.

Are you aware that a chunk of people with this so-called ADHD, get well with simple diet changes? Are you aware how sleep deprivation may affect the frontal lobe? Do you know what percentage of people with ADHD have sleep issues? Why are they having sleep issues?

The label is ridiculous, and entirely unscientific. You're a speed head.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

You're out of line completely. My child has ADHD and I have ADD. I assure you it's mental and it's real. It's real to the extent because even a change in diet and lifestyle barely affects it.
I understand what you are saying though, It is Highly over-diagnosed as Smyleegrl pointed out, but nonetheless it is very real.
People with ADD and ADHD have sleeping troubles because their mind is racing constantly. I've had that problem since I can remember. A lot of what you say is slightly true but you are being ignorant in your conclusions.
Contribute something useful to the thread and stop trolling.
edit on 4-3-2013 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

Your right about the speed part. Let me tell you how much diet has to do with it. ALOT. I don't take meds. I do however no matter what have a hard time focusing in class in linear format. I am also left handed. So this may be an issue as well as I'm not a linear thinker and tend to learn from my creative ability ad my intuition. What that means is when I become curious I Learn and when not its hard to stay focus'd. But who isn't like that? I do perform well in sports, above average. I have a ton of energy. This may account for the focus issue. My solution is to focus my energy where I can.

Oh I forgot to add. Self awareness is key. If I stay self aware I'm actually able to channel my energy and it becomes a tool instead of a battle.
edit on 4-3-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

You make it abundantly clear that you have no clue what you are talking about. Your opinions are not based on fact. They seem more like prejudice to me.

As a sufferer I can tell you first hand how debilitating this condition Can be, It isn't that your mind is a little racy. It is the total inability to concentrate. The inability to focus on anything for more than a few seconds. The fact that any little noise, shadow, bird chirp, car going down the road, and on and on will take your mind off the task at hand. Not being able to complete the most simple tasks.

Here is a quick example of how this condition affects me. I have been making a living doing sound for a very long time now. I have a digital mixing console. My console saves my mixes as scenes. So if I am mixing down a song I can save my mix for further mixing later on as a scene. Now here is what happens to me. Once I complete a mx I will save my scene and then begin mixing the next song and almost with out fail I will save my new mix right over top of my last mix, thus erasing all of my previous work. I am self employed, so do you think I do dumb stuff like this by choice? This sometimes costs me hours upon hours of work, not too mention the embarrassment. It frustrates me to the point that I sometimes actually punch myself in the face. It also leads to severe depression, depression to the point of suicidal thoughts. This is because sufferers usually have a thousand unfinished projects that build up until everything becomes unmanageable. If you can't relate to this that is awesome. I felt the same way about alcoholism until I tried to help out an alcoholic. I quickly learned that I truly had no clue about addiction. I thought I did, but I didn't have even half a clue.

The reason they prescribe amphetamines is because they work. If and when they can fully understand what it is they do to help I am sure they will develop a drug that will work better. And in case you didn't know it, they dont have a clue why or how half the drugs they prescribe work. If you dont beleive me read up on some common drugs using a pdr. Now let me continue with my experience. I was working a show around 4 years ago and one of the musicians was discussing a.d.d. meds, I butted into the conversation and told him I was diagnosed as hyper when I was a child. But like you, I didn't really believe that add existed. At any rate, he offered me one of his add meds. I put it away and kinda forgot about it. One day I ran across it and thought what the hey, I will give it a try. I am here to tell you that within an hour my life was transformed. I might add I have never been lazy and have always been known as a go getter hyperactive type, so the last thing I need is "speed." I guess what you may not understand is the fact that it didn't speed me up so much as it allowed me to concentrate. You probably can't understand what is like to be able to concentrate on a project until it is finished for the first time at the age of 47. Experiencing depression as a blue mood insted of a world ending cloud that will not leave. Not making simple mistakes like over writing a scene.

As for the meds I try to take the smallest amount I can. I actually take them less than prescribed, and even though it isn't recommended I take days off to try and ward off addiction, and side effects. I can't attest to the reaction other people have to ADHD meds. But one thing you should know is that ADHD meds have the opposite effect on hyper people. It has a slightly calming effect, not a hyper, wired, out of control effect. We already have that covered naturally.

Anyway, I hope I have imparted some useful information using real world examples from a 50 year old sufferer.

Enjoy your stay here.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
ADHD sure does not go away, I'm over 40 and have been living with it all my life, my 16 year old son has it bad and is medicaded for it and my 15 year old daughter has a mild case and not medicaded. I've not been professionally diagnosed as a kid, in my days, it just wasn't done as frequently I guess, I was just considered an active and agitated kid. My grades in school were bad and my social life was consisted of only a couple of friends, that I still have today. I've been fortunate enough that as I grew older I got to understand what was going on with me, oh !!!!....look a squirel........

Oh..Wait.....lol...Seriously though....it's still hard to stay concentrated on one thing at a time but I tell you what, I can sure multitask, I guess that's the advantage of ADHD, you learn to cope and make it work for you as you get older ???

Shoot.....Darn squirel is.....no....That's a UFO...........
edit on 4-3-2013 by Nuke2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If youre OCD and you know it, wash your hands.

Wash, wash.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Don't forget lock the doors and windows....Lock the doors and windows....Lock the doors and windows....Wash your hands and lock the doors and windows, wash your hands.....

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Got it. People buy into BS, and don't want to help their selves outside of being a speed head. You've made your cases very clear.

You don't have a "disorder". That is societies definition. You have a personality type that is on the outskirts of this supposed norm. Instead of nurturing your gifts, you deny them and take speed because society says it's best.

BTW, I'm a left hander who has ALWAYS slept little, thought "non-linearly", and been bored to hell with the social institutions idiotic structures and policies. That doesn't make me ADD, or ADHD, it makes me DIFFERENT, and I excel at whatever I choose to focus on. Whatever bores me, I will be INCAPABLE of focusing on, and that's OKAY!!
edit on 4-3-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

It doesn't go away cos it doesn't exist in the first place. just eliminate all the sugar, carbs and fluoride from his diet
and give him foods high in anti-oxidents tomatoes are especially good.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join