It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War of the Worlds reenactment on AboveTopSecret.com: Halloween, 2004.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   
That's interesting SO...

So are you saying that you need ( in your infinite wisdom ) to dumb down your posts' just for us ??

If so I think you are gravely misstaken, the people here are not stupid, most of us here can smell out a fake or HOAX, but when it comes from " Our trusted ADMINs " we tend to belive it...

This farce ( and your statement ), just proves that the MODS and the ADMIN of this site think that the average poster needs to have the posts' " dumbed down ", for them to understand it...

You dedcieved us, and you shoud pay the price...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi_Master So are you saying that you need ( in your infinite wisdom ) to dumb down your posts' just for us ??
What did you do, read what I wrote, then assume the exact opposite? I said: "When we consider things like this on ATS, we don't "dumb down" to the lowest common denominator. Instead, we assume our members are astute and able to discern things like this. And in reality, as I've said, many did. I guess if your spoiling for a fight, then there is nothing I can say to dissuade you.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi_Master
That's interesting SO...

So are you saying that you need ( in your infinite wisdom ) to dumb down your posts' just for us ??

If so I think you are gravely misstaken, the people here are not stupid, most of us here can smell out a fake or HOAX, but when it comes from " Our trusted ADMINs " we tend to belive it...

This farce ( and your statement ), just proves that the MODS and the ADMIN of this site think that the average poster needs to have the posts' " dumbed down ", for them to understand it...

Cool, now I know where you're coming from. You're a "needy." Need to have Admin's attention.
YAWN.

"You dedcieved us, and you shoud pay the price..."

Is this some kind of threat?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Well. I regret I was only available for the beginning of this, and starting the ball running. Oddly enough, I found many REAL sightings to kick it off with, hehe.... I experienced some cable problems this weekend due to some high winds, and didn't get back online till tonight....(bad timing mother nature)...

If any are curious, (can't remember, either Wilmuth or another's) the avatar of the old man with the lone ranger mask...the old man was none other than HG Welles

I hope the majority enjoyed the holiday event. The disclaimer tag was put in play from the get-go, to satisfy the terms, etc. Happy Halloween everyone...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

It didn't 'come' from the staff, the original postings were by a guy called 'wellorsons'. I mean come on.

Pretty much any googling with the keyphrases and locations in the stories would have brought up War of the Worlds returns. All it took was a little looking of your own.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Oops, jedi_master logs off.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
It's US election week, the medium term security of much of the middle east and large bits of the western world are at stake, and the hottest discussion topic at ATS is the semantics of whether or not an internal prank was a "hoax".

Is "Booo!" that heads up the Forum screen meant to be a ghostly Halloween "Boo!" or a resounding "Booo!" accompanied by rotten tomatoes? I'm trying to work that one out.

Citizen Kane was finer Orson Welles work.

Rosebud.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
It's US election week, the medium term security of much of the middle east and large bits of the western world are at stake, and the hottest discussion topic at ATS is the semantics of whether or not an internal prank was a "hoax".

Is "Booo!" that heads up the Forum screen meant to be a ghostly Halloween "Boo!" or a resounding "Booo!" accompanied by rotten tomatoes? I'm trying to work that one out.

Citizen Kane was finer Orson Welles work.

Rosebud.

Thanks for your input MA. Here's a quarter, buy a sense of humor.
Didn't you ever think that this could be a release for people?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Is that what you paid for your sense of humor?

No wonder!

I wasn't in on the Halloween prank at all. I hope it's still up to read so I can enjoy it in a week or so.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I wasn't in on the Halloween prank at all.

Will you ever be able to get over it?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What a bunch of frigin' stuffed shirts

You people really need to have more sex!
I'm out of here.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'll tell you when I've read it! It seems to have caught the attention of many.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Jesus people dont be such babies

The staff worked hard on this and anyone with an ounce of brains could have figured it out.

Whats really wild is it seems to have had the same effect as the radio broadcast.

I guess the clasics never die

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Honestly...I think some people need to unplug a little. Newsflash...THIS WEBSITE IS NOT YOUR LIFE...stop making it so...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
Honestly...I think some people need to unplug a little. Newsflash...THIS WEBSITE IS NOT YOUR LIFE...stop making it so...

It is not fair that staff can't be applauded. That was an incredibely lucid thought.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I think you need to get out a bit more JM. This hysterical post is far beyond the normal response range for this situation. Try a long run around a park. If this fails breathing into a paper bag before posting may be calming enough.

I really think its time to get over this, a new day is dawning, watch the elections and the atrocities in the Middle east. It will bring a proper perspective to the issue.

his farce ( and your statement ), just proves that the MODS and the ADMIN of this site think that the average poster needs to have the posts' " dumbed down ", for them to understand it...

[edit on 1-11-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Two cents....maybe less

This is just my opinion. It was posted to another thread but I think it should have been posted here. My appologies. I came into this little tribute very shortly after it began. I was very much into investigating it even to the point of sending the story to 4 outside sources to see if they had any info. I spent an hour trying to get through to Art Bell and even sent an e-mail to Drudge. Not just because I believed it but because it was fun to finally sink my teeth into something that wasnt instantly debunked. There were people hanging out in chat and sending U2Us. Really communicating about the possibilities. It was awesome. And I was there when someone figured it out and shared the info with a few of us. I was also present when a Mod explained to us that it was a tribute to H.G. Wells and gave us the option to continue with the tribute or to let the cat out of the bag. No one there was offended or if they were they kept it to themselves. Now I would say that those present represented a pretty good sampling of the general membership of ATS. So I was quite surprised by the reaction when just a few hours later some of you reacted so negatively. It was a great tribute and I believe the fact that the mods didn't come out and tell us from the begining it was a sort of online reenactment is a compliment to our intelligence. They had enough faith in us to realize that we would figure it out. This was evidenced by a statement made by a mod when a member saw a post that pretty much said "Its about War of the Worlds". The member wanted the mod to delete the post and the mod said no. He basically pointed out that the idea was for people to figure it out. I put alot of time and effort into solving this mystery as did many others. In this case the answer to the mystery was the mods did it! Another case solved by ATS members! Yes there is a rule that has been pointed to often about not posting anything you know to be untrue or misleading. In this case I am glad the mods didn't post a disclaimer from the begining saying it was a "net drama". That would have taken all the fun out of it. Besides all of that, there were some interesting things uncovered in the researching of the events in the WOTW reenactment that may or may not have come to light had we not been participating in this. So I just wanted to say thanks to the mods for all their hard work in putting this together. Maybe we can do it again sometime although not too soon judging by the reaction.

Another lesson learned....colaboration is a good thing.

And....
Mark....you were too in on it and I can prove it!!! hehehe
dgtempe....uh-huh....I have a U2U that could be used in court.

Edit: Corrected error pointed out by Masked Avatar. Thank you!

[edit on 11/1/04 by HarmoniusOne]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
to quote Holly from Red Dwarf................

"We are talking jape of the decade... We are talking April, May,
June July and August fool..."

I am still laughing myself stupid at how I got had. I'll admit I fell for it hook line and sinker.

Take a bow all those who came up with this, it was hilarious.

JAK

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
In my opinion, applause to all involved.

I hope all of wellorsons threads are coming back. I believe the one starting it -

We know now that in the early years of the twentieth century this world was being watched closely by intelligences greater than man's, and yet as mortal as his own.

is still unavailable.

A fantastic performance ATS.

Jack

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join