It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War of the Worlds reenactment on AboveTopSecret.com: Halloween, 2004.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by flashburn
Damn! I just finished laying mines in my front yard

ROFL!!!

It was fun... it really was. It was even more fun when someone would say "awww.. that's a hoax!" and the rest of us would run in and yell "No! Black Helicopters are landing on our lawns!!!"

I'm sure something equally silly will happen on April Fool's... and who knows WHAT will happen with the Santa Claus watch..,

Martians, anybody?

NORAD, during it's annual tracking of Santa Clause closed their servers down and declared that santa clause does not exist, after seeing what could only be described as several thousand santas entering a geosynchronous orbit above Cheyenne mountain.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Altough it was a hoax it really made me worry about how unsecure is the US-Canadian border. If I were a terrorist I would plan and launch an attack from Canada

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Vladtepes]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Oh my goodness, I missed the whole thing. I've been at a convention all weekend, and when I signed on this afternoon, this was the first thread i read.

You should have let the madness bubble for a few more days. What a spoiler! Hahahaha!

On War of the Worlds:

I've heard the actual broadcast, its awesome. Honestly, if I lived in that era and didn't know it was just a reading, I would have believed it. Then again, I probably would have stolen Wells's manuscript and taken it for my own because I'm a sneaky bastard like that.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Oh Yea,

You folks are GREAT. What applies to me does not apply to you. Very fcuking brilliant. I imagine my Avatar will be lit with little red badges.

Your a bunch of egotistical, arrogant, schmekels
Puffed up beyond belief with self importance.
I have been banned from here for less than the stupidity of your inside joke. And you want my RESPECT
Tell you what leave the server up and ban all yourselves for a week. You could not handle it. Suffer the stupid little rules you apply to others. You don't have the balls. Eat Siht.
I am laughing because you are not funny, I am.

TUT THE IRRITANT

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Now, tut, that's unfair.

You mean ol' cranky poopie head!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, I thought I'd throw in my two cents on this event that had just taken place. Sure it was clever in the sense that it was a tribute to Welles. But the Mods and those that were involved have to remember that alot has changed since the "war of the worlds," such as, technology, weapons, and laws.
I thought it was very inappropriate by preying on the fear of Americans, and placing the events in the Northeast. Alot of people in New England have lost family members in 9/11, and I'm sure alot of people around the country and in other countries have lost or know someone that lost someone during 9/11. The thought that such events might be taking place again, only brings about angst and memories that people would like to forget. I must say, that by posting such tributes (hoaxes) you hold responsibility for the readers.
I hope that everyone involved just had the thought that perhaps a member, or someone reading the board might have done something extreme, those of which do not need to be explained. One last point, I'm beginning to think that this goes beyond a tribute to Welles, but perhaps even a tinge of an ego boost by those involved. Have you ever heard of the story "A Boy Who Cried Wolf." All I'm saying is, take in account the feelings, emotions, and mental stability of your members.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tututkamen What applies to me does not apply to you.
Take the green pills tonight, they contain your sense of humor... seems like you need 'em. As we've said, this was not a hoax since hoaxes attempt to hide the truth. Instead, we made it very easy to discover the reenactment nature of this event... all it took was one Google search on any of the names involved. More than two dozen members did so yesterday, and enjoyed it. Think green pills.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I think the people that are upset should check the dictionary and look up the difference "hoax and "prank", which this was.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
TOS Item #1

You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Since this whole topic was knowingly misleading, the camera phone 'picture' was fake, and put into a misleading context, the entire 'Tribute' was in violation of the TOS, and would have been seen as so without the intervention of high level ATS personel. Just claiming it was a tribute does not exempt it from the TOS.

You can laugh it off all you want to, but it is a technical violation of the TOS, and done so at the highest levels of ATS. That is what makes this so much more then a fun halloween game.

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Mainer]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I missed the whole sequence, for some reason the topics didn't sing out to me. Unlike the WITD episode which was fun in a more enigmatic way...

Nothing wrong with good harmless fun, surely - is it now the case that we look for these things on April Fools Day and Halloween both?

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
To all who don't understand a joke:
Yes, that is true we live in difficult times, but it doesn't mean we have to moan every time, right?
I believe all of us like to watch scary movies, so why now such a fuzz?
If something really is going to happen we need to look at if from the distance - fear is our greatest enemy, and this hoax showed to many of us how easy is to get freaked out, so relax- have some fun in your life, enjoy a bit of this game

[edit on 31-10-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's halloween. We live for this stuff, just enjoy, no? Otherwise my halloween has been a drag.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Mainer also posted a knowingly false statement...

Originally posted by Mainer
We will know for sure if the Red Sox win the world series on the 28th.

In this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

We're not sure what will come of this.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Lol, that's what "boo" meant. I should have clicked on it. before I just saw the theads, and initially it had the intended effect, of startling me,. but for some reason, my intuition said "fake" After applying some logic, which was basically, only on ATS, and players mostly writers or old members, and the fact that the photographs posted, looked very unconvincing, the 2nd one, looked outright like a digital creation.

I am definitely expecting a terrorist attack soon, and those helicopters to be flooding the skies, as well as curfews(without the alien invasion of course) but this belief is because of logic, the same logic, that made me instantly label this stunt a hoax

Btw, I have to agree with one member, though entertaining, this hoax was in poor taste, especially at this time, where an terror attack is almost emminent. There are some who could have acted irrationally Human beings are emotional and impulsive creatures(I'm not human) and any form of threat is going to lead to action.

What's funny, in this hoax, people start to worry, some get scared, some terrified, and those who played it, can have the laugh. When the real thing does happen, people will start to worry, get scared, terrified, and the ones having the laugh will be our government itself.

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   

TOS Item #1

You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Since this whole topic was knowingly misleading, the camera phone 'picture' was fake, and put into a misleading context, the entire 'Tribute' was in violation of the TOS, and would have been seen as so without the intervention of high level ATS personel. Just claiming it was a tribute does not exempt it from the TOS.

You can laugh it off all you want to, but it is a technical violation of the TOS, and done so at the highest levels of ATS. That is what makes this so much more then a fun halloween game.

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Mainer]

Ya...

I posted something to that effect earlier...

Also what of the legal ramifications, if someone did something rash because of it ?

Just curious...

[edit on 31-10-2004 by Jedi_Master]

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
...from page one of this thread...

...Hope nobody got too upset.

After all mods are people too. And they can't in any way be responsible for our reactions to an anonymous internet source on halloween!

We all WANT to believe. Its why were here at ATS, but we should be careful about being too gullible.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I agree with Iknownothing, I am one of those people who has lost several loved ones recently! I think it was just in poor taste considering the condition of the world today. Terrorist put fear in people.....does that make all of you any different??? I always taught my kids "if it hurts someone for even a minute, it is WRONG." I trusted ATS, I didn't think I had to research everything that I read like the other sites. As far as taking the green chill pill, you have no idea what state of mind everyone on this site is in. Some of us choose to not laugh and have a jolly time due to situations around us at this time. It is our choice which threads we choose to read.....you took that right away from me with your scam, not just one of you, but a number of you!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Mainer also posted a knowingly false statement...

We will know for sure if the Red Sox win the world series on the 28th.

In this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

We're not sure what will come of this.

And take a lookat that timestamp! I knew they would pull it off!

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I posted something like this in the chat. I think it is in poor taste only because the topics on ATS are so often close to things that are normally blanketed hoaxes outside of ATS that to have the administration of the board condone these sorts of 'tributes' really devalues serious postings on the paranioa sounding topics.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gizmoqt REPOST JUST SO YOU ALL UNDERSTAND!
I agree with Iknownothing, I am one of those people who has lost several loved ones recently! I think it was just in poor taste considering the condition of the world today. Terrorist put fear in people.....does that make all of you any different??? I always taught my kids "if it hurts someone for even a minute, it is WRONG." I trusted ATS, I didn't think I had to research everything that I read like the other sites. As far as taking the green chill pill, you have no idea what state of mind everyone on this site is in. Some of us choose to not laugh and have a jolly time due to situations around us at this time. It is our choice which threads we choose to read.....you took that right away from me with your scam, not just one of you, but a number of you!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join