It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Printing Living Cells With a $150 Open Source Bioprinter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I don’t usually read medical/technology articles but I thought this was pretty cool and thought the team would enjoy it.. Can you imagine the applications of this if given to a person with the knowhow and imagination!

Printing Cells

Bioprinting works very much like 3D printing. A movable print head deposits layer-upon-layer producing a 3D object but instead of using plastics or ceramics the cartridges are filled with biological material.

Emulating multimillion dollar lab equipment with cheap DIY designs is an essential part of biohacking. As geneticist and DIY bioengineer Cathal Garvey explained in an earlier article on biohacking: ‘I am trying to make every level of biotechnology available for anyone because this is the most fundamental technology of them all. This is the code of life.’ And to democratize bioengineering people need to have access to the necessary tools.

Here he explains a little of how it works

Enjoy

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Well, there's a couple of things here.

One, they're not creating a cell with this, they're using an inkjet printer mechanism to squirt a cell from the ink tank onto a plate.

Two, they haven't done even that yet. They're still squirting dye onto a petri dish full of agarose.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I can imagine it might be the "dream come true" for all sorts of play things

and then some...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Good to know, at the end there he says they have and was about to go into what kind? And as stated above, this is not my cup of tea just stating what I see.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by KamaSutra

You’re not lying! aw man that is one of my favorite movies.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mosthated718bx

Yeah this tech is really starting to gain some traction.

www.youtube.com...

They are also working on one that uses atoms and is more akin to a Star Trek replicator...

Kaku says it’s possible to make such a device and suggests we’ll have it in 100 years.

I say we’ll have it in 20. A longtime friend of mine has significant pieces of a replicator functioning in his lab right now. He’s no mad scientist but a respected engineer who is known for his broad technical interests. Right now he can’t make you a mug of Earl Grey (hot), but he can lay down in nanoseconds trillions of atoms of any abundant element, placing those atoms not just in perfect rows, but also placing them in intricate patterns with other atoms to create familiar combinations as well as new materials the world has never seen before.
betanews.com...

edit on 4-3-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Very cool videos, here’s a thought 3d printer+cloning tech+ replicator+ X means of getting it directly to location (maybe piggy back a photon lol)= transportation to any world of your choosing!

Oh yea!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mosthated718bx
reply to post by hawkiye

Very cool videos, here’s a thought 3d printer+cloning tech+ replicator+ X means of getting it directly to location (maybe piggy back a photon lol)= transportation to any world of your choosing!

Oh yea!

You'd die every time you went somewhere, and the replicated you would start anew.

Not sure I like that idea. Even if the resulting me that popped out the other end said "Nah nahh I'm me, honest, don't stick me with that needle!!" before they tested him for genetic defects.

I - the guy stepping into the thing - would not be the same guy on the other end.

On that tangent, the closer we get to getting remotely able to teleport things, the more people should realise that it will never be able to be used on people. I don't think people would be too bothered to send fluffy over as long as they still got her back, but the concept of "I" becomes something very overwhelming if you are faced with losing it.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I see your points, but if the I portion is what worries you then downloading your conscious/memory to total a recall type of machine that would take of that now you would have to body's at different locations.. Dreams..
edit on 4-3-2013 by Mosthated718bx because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2013 by Mosthated718bx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join