It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite gaming platform, and why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by blahxd67

Originally posted by _BoneZ_

Consoles will NEVER, EVER, come close to the power of a gaming PC.

Well that doesn't make sense, a console is just a PC that only plays games, if they are built with the same specs then a console will always come out on top. The reason they don't is because of the gap between generations, I think this will be fixed in the future, or at least improved. To make a claim like you have is just plain wrong.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time really, if people want to spend a lot more for relatively little gain then that's fine.

Your console only plays games? Funny. Mine can play movies and music too.

While it's playing a game? I don't know what your point is really.
edit on 3-3-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

Xbox 360 can play music while in game. Some PS3 games allow for that too. Example on PS3 - Littlebigplanet.
edit on 3-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
There are tons of websites that have done benchmarks of consoles versus gaming PC's. And the PC wins every time due to much better hardware. For this post, I'll just take a few images from one of those sites and post them here for comparison:

GTA4 on PC:

GTA4 on XBox 360:

GTA4 on PS3:

You'll notice that in the PC version, you can see the individual leaves on the trees. You can't even come close on the XBox or PS3. And THAT is why PC's will always reign supreme when it comes to gaming. PC's have faster, better, and more expensive hardware. And always will.

As has already been stated, consoles are the poor-man's way of playing some of the latest video games. But you get what you pay for as evidenced by the screenshots above.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Well that doesn't make sense, a console is just a PC that only plays games, if they are built with the same specs then a console will always come out on top. The reason they don't is because of the gap between generations, I think this will be fixed in the future, or at least improved. To make a claim like you have is just plain wrong.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time really, if people want to spend a lot more for relatively little gain then that's fine.

Xbox 360 can do that. Some PS3 games can do that.

I don't know what you're on about, but it seems like a pro-console argument. Again, I don't know what your point is, I don't think you do either.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Xbox 360 can do that. Some PS3 games can do that.

I don't know what you're on about, but it seems like a pro-console argument. Again, I don't know what your point is, I don't think you do either.

It's not a pro console argument. Because I can do that on my PC as well. And with much better sound quality with my dedicated sound card.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

"Due to much better hardware".

Well duh. Like I said, with the same hardware consoles will always come out on top, the only problem is the generation gap with needs to be closed, comparison isn't really fair, the results are obvious.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Battlefield 3 PS3 vs PC

Look at how horrible that looks on a PS3 compared to PC. -shudders-

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
reply to post by SpearMint

It is, if you disagree with that then you don't know a lot about PCs. It's not in dispute.

I have been building and overclocking my own PC's for over 20 years now. I would have to say you are the one that really doesn't know what they are talking about.

Doesn't really matter, you don't need to know much to do either. I don't see how you can argue that PCs are not inefficient when it comes to games, they very clearly are.

This just keeps getting funnier. The only reason why consoles seem to be better at gaming is the games for them has to be below certain specs. But in PC's we don't have that rule there is no limit to the specs. Take the original Crysis a game that made consoles melt still has better graphics than anything on consoles and that was six years ago. Most people complained about the game but the problem was their systems just couldn't handle it.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Well that doesn't make sense, a console is just a PC that only plays games, if they are built with the same specs then a console will always come out on top.

Which proves you haven't the slightest clue about hardware technology. PC's and consoles are NOT built with the same specs. That's what everyone's trying to tell you. Yes, the new PS4 and XBox 720 will have PC hardware, but that hardware is inferior. Inexpensive. Slower.

Do you understand that they are using cheaper and slower processors and graphics cards in consoles than what we can use in PC's? That is to keep the cost down. So, yes, it makes perfect sense that a PC will always blow a console away because you can't put the latest hardware technology into a console and keep the price down.

They only put the bare minimum hardware into a console to make it play games efficiently at a reduced level than what you can on PC's. That is evidenced by the screenshots I've posted in my last post.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Like I said, with the same hardware consoles will always come out on top

And like the rest of us have said, consoles will never have the same hardware as the same current-year PC's because it would be far too expensive.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Well that doesn't make sense, a console is just a PC that only plays games, if they are built with the same specs then a console will always come out on top.

Which proves you haven't the slightest clue about hardware technology. PC's and consoles are NOT built with the same specs. That's what everyone's trying to tell you. Yes, the new PS4 and XBox 720 will have PC hardware, but that hardware is inferior. Inexpensive. Slower.

Do you understand that they are using cheaper and slower processors and graphics cards in consoles than what we can use in PC's? That is to keep the cost down. So, yes, it makes perfect sense that a PC will always blow a console away because you can't put the latest hardware technology into a console and keep the price down.

They only put the bare minimum hardware into a console to make it play games efficiently at a reduced level than what you can on PC's. That is evidenced by the screenshots I've posted in my last post.

Read what I said again, and notice the word "if".

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Read what I said again, and notice the word "if".

Because games are optimized for consoles! That is the only reason. Not because they're somehow better or more optimized for games. The games are optimized for consoles. Not the other way around.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

edit on 3-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: Double post

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

edit on 3-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: Double post

Again you completely missed the point, you're not helping either side.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

You're telling everyone that consoles are made for games. If they're using the same hardware as a PC...then the games would be optimized for the hardware.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

You're telling everyone that consoles are made for games. If they're using the same hardware as a PC...then the games would be optimized for the hardware.

...and?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

...and?

That doesn't mean the hardware is any good for gaming. It just appears that way because of the painstaking optimization that goes into games for consoles.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

...and?

That doesn't mean the hardware is any good for gaming. It just appears that way because of the painstaking optimization that goes into games for consoles.

It's irrelevant, a hypothetical console with the same hardware as a PC can run a game better than a PC can, regardless of optimisation. And regardless of the hardware, optimisation is always a good thing.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

...and?

It's irrelevant, a hypothetical console with the same hardware as a PC can run a game better than a PC can, regardless of optimisation.

Prove it.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

...and?

It's irrelevant, a hypothetical console with the same hardware as a PC can run a game better than a PC can, regardless of optimisation.

Prove it.

Common sense. Think about it for a second. Think about what a PC has to handle, think about what a console has to handle. It's common knowledge.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

And my games still run better on a PC than console.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join