A look at the news over the weekend brings up several concerns about how these non-discretionary cuts will affect us. I doubt those areas that could
stand huge cuts (the military – a lot of their money’s are off the books to begin with so that will just get larger, foreign aid, interest
payments, I can’t begin to think of them all) will see any actual decrease in spending. There will be no cuts to PUBLIC PAYMENTS to BIG BUSINESS;
in fact, there will be more public moneys going directly to BIG BUSINESS (i.e. subcontracting).
1) Ecological disaster clean up. The moral and ethical responsibility of those that created them, correct? No, the public foots the bill while these
companies – BP, Exxon, General Electric, etc; continue to rake in huge profits. Cuts will slow down the already dangerously slow progress on these
Sequester Energy Cuts Could Affect Nuclear Waste Cleanup At Sites Including Hanford
2) Public Health will suffer at a time when there are more dangerous and untreatable contagious diseases popping up all the time.
Dangerous TB Patient Detained on U.S. Border
3) Public Works projects, desperately needed repairs to bridges, levies, dams, roads, electrical grids, water resources already stalled by lack of
public funds will be further slowed. How many more people will die.
Sequester cuts will hurt the public, Connecticut lawmakers say
4) Public testing of the food supply, drugs and other real consumer protections (such as they are today) will be even scarcer.
2013 Sequester Cuts: Funding For Food And Aviation Safety Would Be Cut, White House Details State by State Impact
5) Schools will lose even more funding….
Sequester cuts could hurt local schools
Local school districts would loose millions in federal funding
6) Border Patrol, Coast Guard, Air Traffic Controllers, Law Enforcement, Fire and Hazardous Materials Protection, Mass transit will all lose federal
Sequester budget cuts could drain Hurricane Sandy relief funds
The list can go on – BUT these are all opportunities for BIG CAPITAL to further PRIVATIZE public assets to create more PROFIT at our expense.
It’s a scam that’s been running since Ronald Reagan’s busting of the Air Traffic Controllers Union and his Voodoo economics of PRIVATE PROFIT at